Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's great/bad about EoFF?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Then it's your own fault for judging posts based on the user name rather than their content you dirty elitist. Although really it's her who should be apologising to you.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't have time to independently judge every post. Come on now. I only read the posts of those who are usually guaranteed to amuse me. Such as you, foa, and, uh.... bubba, I guess.

For instance, I don't who this fool Daniel is who just creeped up but I'm certainly not going to read posts by anyone with such a lame screen name.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

The bad, for me personally, is that I have lost all anonymity here. This is bad because when I have any kind of life problem I can no longer talk about it with online friends because my online and offline family and friends have become one. Everyone talks to one another. I have family members who Facebook with EoFFers, workmates that know about this place, things like that. This means that the initial thing that made me so love EoFF - a place where I could post with anonymity while still feeling I am talking with friends - is no longer something I can hold onto.
    That's an interesting one. For better or worse, I have always tried to maintain a separation with EoFF and my "real" life. Which sounds silly because duh, I met my husband here. But I never did open up my life to EoFF the way others have and that's probably kept me from forming closer friendships but it's also allowed EoFF to be somewhat of a safe place for me to go separate from offline friends/family/etc, which is honestly kind of nice. It's a give and take I guess.

Anyway. The good: EoFF is always here. I like that.

The bad: Chat v. Forums.

And also, "I WILL NEVAAH RETIRE FROM STAFF! ARGLE BARGLE!" Although that's probably no longer relevant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Ok I have a real answer to what is bad about EoFF: name changes. I'm not talking about the I'm A Smelly Armpit temp changes but the semi-permanent (until they get bored of it and change again) changes. I only discovered yesterday that Night Fury or whatever she's called now is Lockharted. It's fine if the new name is a play on the old name (Lockharted -> Locky for instance) but your screen name is your identity here and you shouldn't be able to change your identity. I've been ignoring Night Fury's posts all this time because I thought she was some random unimportant oldbie I didn't know and not someone who I actually enjoy. Sorry Lock!
    lulz. Go to their profile and see who they are!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Having a bit of anonymity is important on the internet which is even though I have been fairly open, I refuse to reveal certain elements of my life on here and I don't really mantain relationships outside of this forum unless I know the person beforehand, but then again I hardly mantain relationships irl either so

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Sometimes people ask me what message board I met my husband on (I'm quite open about that aspect), and I never tell them. Oooh, I should tell them it closed down!

My sister used to post here.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And it is bad that she does not any longer because I miss her terribly

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I only read the posts of those who are usually guaranteed to amuse me. Such as you, foa, and, uh.... bubba, I guess.
    You guess? You guess?! Everyone of my posts is comedy dynamite.

Bubba - Most Charming Member Winter Ciddies 2014.

Last edited by Bubba; 04-23-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    EoFF is a constant in my life.
    Much like your avatar. Loony BoB has not changed in 15+ years (I have been there - I remember when it was one of the first and only options, and a custom avatar was a sign of prosperity)

Also I agree with Del, this is a problem on a few forums. It feels like you're getting to know someone else. Unless it's someone iconic like Daniel/BoB.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Like other people have said, the sense of community and some of the friendships I've made have been the best thing about EoFF. I've had a chance to make long lasting friendships both on and offline, and I met my girlfriend here of which I'll be forever grateful.

The bad is just that I no longer find the forum 'fun'. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with my own changing personality and interests, but I honestly can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at something that was posted on the forum. I tend to come here as a result of boredom usually, which it is still great for because there's no shortage of things to read, and the rest of the time it's just because of habit.

I do still love when something like a Skype call or a particularly full #chat room happens though, they are always fun.

Great: Vibrant, active. Eternal repository of memories. Something worth donating lots of money to keep going.

Bad: The ratio of words to ideas is too low. I have changed and I don't fit in anymore.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Who says any of us fit in?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

You know what else is bad about this place? Guilt tripping.

Try just being a remorseless sociopath; the only truly guilt-free lifestyle.