Thread: Bad Materia

Default Bad Materia

Materia has always been an interesting and involving system. There's good Materia, there's bad Materia. There's Materia so good that it's game breaking....and so bad that it's worthless!

What Materia did you never ever use during your play through?

I just picked up Cover and I honestly don't think I've ever or ever would use that. How pointless!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Sense is kinda useless.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Sense is much more useful if it is your first RPG, as it was for many people. If you played the previous titles, or are replaying the game for the millionth time you have a fairly good idea what is weak to what.

I actually use cover quite a bit. I usually go with Cover + Hyper status, so that all the damage goes to the character with the best limit breaks.

Now in terms of useless I throw HP-MP Switch materia in the ring. (Switch? Flip? I don't even remember).
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

HP-MP was the worst. I don't even think you could break 999MP with it.

Blog Entries

Underwater!
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Now in terms of useless I throw HP-MP Switch materia in the ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    HP-MP was the worst.
    Abso-smurfing-lutely. I mean, what did anyone actually use this for?

You know which materia sounds awesome but I never actually used?? Shield. I just used to cast Wall on everyone instead. DId anyone use Shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    HP-MP was the worst. I don't even think you could break 999MP with it.
    I totally use HP <-> MP against Ruby WEAPON to use Knights of the Round even when the Tentacles steal my MP because it very well ignores the normal MP Limit.

Cover is good for Limits.
    Sense is good for knowing the enemies HP like when you fight the Midgardsormr and when you want to know when an enemy is going to use something special that might be related to his current HP, for MP it is also good.

I am never really using Transform or Mistify.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

That's a nope on the Shield. It wears off much to quickly to be of much use. The only thing that comes to mind it timing it exactly right to catch Emerald Weapon's Air Etam Storm.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Shield, Sense, Ultima, Enemy Skill (because I'm too lazy to try and actively get the skills for it), Mystify, Transform, Manipulate, MP+, Throw, W-Magic, Luck Plus, Magic Plus, Pre-Emptive, HP<-->MP, Heal, Seal, Time, Gravity, Destruct, Exit, Fullcure. Never really use any of those for any reason whatsoever other than just leveling them for the Master Materia.
    I do use Cover quite a bit, though, but instead of with Hyper, with back row + Tranquilizer to really reduce the amount of damage I take. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've had a playthrough where Cover wasn't one of my first Mastered Materia. I find it really useful each time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

HP<->MP has theoretically amazing applicances, but none are practical so whatever. Never ever used it.

Throw, Destruct, Mystify, Transform, Time... don't think I ever used those either. Never needed Underwater either, the Emmy fight doesn't even come close to taking 20 minutes.

I might have cast Full Cure or Shield a couple of times, but ultimately went back to Restore (Regen) or Barriers. The lack of All functionality coupled with very high MP cost really hurts those materia.

I don't think I ever really made use of HP- or MP-Absorb either.

Cover is totally awesome though, especially combined with Counter Attack or on Aerith. Good old Fury Brand.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can't think of a single bad Materia. I must have never gotten the bad ones. I found cover useful on several occasions.