Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It was TOO epic...

Wow, I didn't think that as many people could actually relate to this feeling as do. And, as far as emotional reaction instead of just the epic feeling, I had that at the end of Final Fantasy XIII-2. And a bit to a degree after beating Persona 3. I'd fallen in love with the characters for both games, and the fact that I wasn't gonna be seeing any more of them really tore me apart. That's why I was so glad for Lightning Returns, and I'm going to be even more happy when I get the Persona 4 arenas.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was that way after finishing Fullmetal Alchemist (first series) a few months ago after ten or so years of not having seen it. Such an enthralling story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Pan's Labyrinth made movies harder to watch. I've never seen a film that so thoroughly captured every aspect of filmmaking in a way that was so personally impactful. It hypnotizes me to this day.

As for games? Planescape: Torment is the type of game I can only play about half an hour at a time at the risk of getting overwhelmed by emotion.

When an episode of Survivor is really emotionally or intellectually satisfying I sometimes have to walk away and process it before engaging in my usual ritual of writing/blogging/podcasting about it.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

NIER had that effect on me. I just didn't feel like doing much after I beat it.

Man, I get this a lot for some reason. Maybe I should consider myself fortunate. But I try not to waste much time humoring pieces of entertainment that don't have some above average factor to it, and so I frequently come across things that are way above average. I guess I'm kind of a snob or elitist that way

Games that spring to mind which did this to me: Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. In all 3 cases, I was exposed to them without purchasing them. Two of them led me to purchase a console just to experience them on after getting a taste through a friend, and I most definitely would have purchased the PSOne just for Xenogears had I not already owned it thanks to FF7

TV shows which spring to mind: Avatar: The Last Airbender, Firefly, Game of Thrones, Attack on Titan, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Movies that spring to mind: Donnie Darko, Brick, Memento, The Matrix (laugh if you must)

I'll probably think of more as the weekend draws on, but yeah, I guess I'm really susceptible to be impacted by movies, shows, and video games if the writing and delivery are up to par

Or I've just been lucky to catch a lot of good ones. Though it's likely just me. Since while some aspect of art can be universal. The way it touches each person is personal, and some things don't touch some people the same way. Just had a lot of stuff resonate with me over the years and then stick with me for days or weeks afterwards before I move on

I also agree with BoB on The Last of Us, and think everyone who enjoyed that game should watch the documentary on YouTube regarding the making of that game. It'll do it to you all over again

Oh yes. The first time I heard the whole "Imaginaerum" album by Nightwish, that just blew my mind with all the song writing, arrangements and lyrics being so well thought out that it flowed with a majestic grace and beauty and overall was a treat. That is the genius credited to Tuomas Holopainen.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Yeah Interstellar certainly did a number on me. Also The Lion King when I saw it as a kid. I couldn't get it out of my head for months, I was just obsessed with it.
    Yeah, same for me. I watched The Lion King as a kid on a bootleg vhs for about 4 months straight after I saw it in theathers and then did the same thing with the sequel.

I had stop watching movies for a while (for like a day which is a lot for me) after A Clockwork Orange. Mostly because I was disturbed. Also ashamed to admit this but for a short period of time, the only film I watched was Titanic the week it came on HBO I believe.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Words of Radiance. There was just the hole in me after reading it. I just wanted more. Bad timing too, had 25 hours of flight to somehow pass right after finishing it, and didn't want to read anything else. Brandon Sanderson is one of the gods of the written word.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    Words of Radiance. There was just the hole in me after reading it. I just wanted more. Bad timing too, had 25 hours of flight to somehow pass right after finishing it, and didn't want to read anything else. Brandon Sanderson is one of the gods of the written word.
    Currently reading this, actually! Excellent book.

Soul rending literature can have this effect on me. In the past ~5 years I would cite The Waves, Infinite Jest, Suttree, The Shadow of the Torturer, Darkness at Noon, a lot of stuff by Raymond Carver and Breece D'j Pancake...becoming completely engrossed in a superb book and then having it come to an end is a weird feeling.

TV & Movies not as much, but I can at least think of Breaking Bad and I'd maybe also say Chungking Express and Eyes Wide Shut.