Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Complaining about Tomb Raider's fights being easy due to the auto-lock is just absurd to me and comes across like they just played the first couple of levels of the game. With how hard it is to dodge in that game and no means of cover like in the reboot (you basically have to do so much smurfing jumping and roll if you want to turn around in time) if they added having to aim on top of it the game would be smurfing unplayable.

Most of the problems they mentioned with SH1 can be contributed to, "I sucked at this game." I'm not usually that harsh, but it's what I get from it. And I didn't play that game until 2014 so my thoughts have nothing to do with nostalgia.
    Agreed on Silent Hill. I haven't played it until four years ago and I never felt it was too dated.

Also, they're complaining about the puzzles? Really? What are they, four?

Everyone knows the worst SH game is 3.

Then again, nobody ever liked that one so it can't age badly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Everyone knows the worst SH game is 3.

Then again, nobody ever liked that one so it can't age badly.

I hope you get stuck in the Deku Scrub mask.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Silent Hill 3 is my favorite, I think. Though I haven't beaten it yet. Got towards the end and then college was over and the person I borrowed it from took it with him.

Anyways, I don't really think anything on the first list outside of the fighting games and GTA(which I have little experience with so can't comment on) have aged particularly poorly. You just have to get used to tank controls, but I really think they are necessary for the way Silent Hill built atmosphere. I can't speak much for Resident Evil, but I thought part of the charm was its terribly cheesy B-movie dialog. I'm a sucker for those kinds of horror movies sometimes though. It just depends what you are looking for really. Star Fox is still a favorite of mine because I think it still plays beautifully. I prefer 64, but the original is more satisfying if I'm looking for something harder. Metroid plays very well I think, but I've never played anything else in the series outside of the original. I guess I don't really enjoy the multiplayer in Goldeneye very much, but I think it still plays very well in single player. FFVII is ugly by today's standards I guess, but the style has a lot of charm to it.

I'm trying to think of things not on the list that have truly aged poorly over the years to me, but I'm kind of struggling. Sonic Adventure is the only thing I can think of that had a lot of wow factor for me as a kid but I can't find much enjoyment from it anymore.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Silent Hill 3 is actually pretty well loved, even if it's not as adored as SH2. If anything, it's The Room that is the most reviled from the Team Silent games, but it's still my second favorite game in the series. What comes afterwards, though... Oy vey...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've yet to play SH2. If I can't get my hands on The Evil Within by October I'll probably throw it into my Halloween lineup this year, even though I hear it's not as scary as 1 or 3.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've yet to play SH2. If I can't get my hands on The Evil Within by October I'll probably throw it into my Halloween lineup this year, even though I hear it's not as scary as 1 or 3.
    It's a different type of scary.

The type where you feel complete isolation and utter hopelessness over your fragile existence

The thing is, people talk about Silent Hill 4. The Room might be of questionable quality (I love it) but it's still widely discussed and debated.

Nobody talks about 3. It's just that game that exists between the phenomenall 2 and the dubious quality 4.

3 brings nothing to the table except for the fact it probably was the scariest SH game. The plot isn't as interesting as 2 or 4, there's only like 4 characters and none of them are as interesting as any one character from 2 or 4, and it arbitrarily killed off the main character from 1 for SHOCK VALUE.

You know what other third installment did that? Aliens 3. And it doomed that sequel too. (and to clarify, I mean how it killed Newt and everyone besides Ripley. And then it did kill Ripley but the death of Newt and the others is much more like the death of Harry in how stupid and pointless it was)

Besides the fact it's actually pretty scary, there are two things I'll give SH3:

1. Good music, as is to be expected.
    2. Vincent, the most interesting character in the game.

And you know what, smurf you game. I tried to help that lady and to make her feel better in the confessional and you want to go and give me the evil ending that doesn't make any damned sense. Oh I understand it conceptually speaking but it is very poorly handled. If they wanted to further develop Heather's character in relation to The Order they should have done it less clumsily. As it is, it feels like an afterthought. It could have been cool but not the way they did it.

Why, in the evil ending, does she kill Douglas? Is she possessed or what?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    The thing is, people talk about Silent Hill 4. The Room might be of questionable quality (I love it) but it's still widely discussed and debated.

Nobody talks about 3. It's just that game that exists between the phenomenall 2 and the dubious quality 4.

3 brings nothing to the table except for the fact it probably was the scariest SH game. The plot isn't as interesting as 2 or 4, there's only like 4 characters and none of them are as interesting as any one character from 2 or 4, and it arbitrarily killed off the main character from 1 for SHOCK VALUE.

You know what other third installment did that? Aliens 3. And it doomed that sequel too. (and to clarify, I mean how it killed Newt and everyone besides Ripley. And then it did kill Ripley but the death of Newt and the others is much more like the death of Harry in how stupid and pointless it was)

Besides the fact it's actually pretty scary, there are two things I'll give SH3:

1. Good music, as is to be expected.
    2. Vincent, the most interesting character in the game.

And you know what, smurf you game. I tried to help that lady and to make her feel better in the confessional and you want to go and give me the evil ending that doesn't make any damned sense. Oh I understand it conceptually speaking but it is very poorly handled. If they wanted to further develop Heather's character in relation to The Order they should have done it less clumsily. As it is, it feels like an afterthought. It could have been cool but not the way they did it.

Why, in the evil ending, does she kill Douglas? Is she possessed or what?
    So what you're saying is that YOU didn't like it The SH community as a whole does seem to like it quite a bit, though.

The SH community doesn't care about 3. That is its sole defining trait.

Nobody praises it as much as 2.
    Nobody argues about it as much as 4.

And that's because there's absolutely nothing special about it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually see a lot more people talk about SH3 than 4. I guess it depends on which parts of the Internet you visit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Not sure what all you did in the game, but I know there's a good ending where she's just kidding about the possessed thing.

Pretty much disagree with what you said about the characters. I liked Heather and the crazy cult lady. The guy whose name I can't remember was okay.

The two games people told me to play as soon as I played SH1 was 2 and 3. EoFF is the only site I know that has ANYONE who gives 4 the time of day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not sure what all you did in the game, but I know there's a good ending where she's just kidding about the possessed thing.

Pretty much disagree with what you said about the characters. I liked Heather and the crazy cult lady. The guy whose name I can't remember was okay.

The two games people told me to play as soon as I played SH1 was 2 and 3. EoFF is the only site I know that has ANYONE who gives 4 the time of day.
    4 is amazing.

4 is a great game. You just have to find the right people.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vAhjmrj9_9ixQk

I used to talk with this lady when she was doing her SH4 review and posting on a forum we both frequented. I'd recommend it to anyone but to you especially Tori since you don't know much about the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty much any game that came out at the beginning of the 3D gaming era around mid/late nineties is guaranteed to have aged badly. It was just a necessary period in which gaming took a big leap but graphically they generally look awful these days.

There are very few games that can still hold their heads high in the graphics department from this era.