View Poll Results: Do you play survival horror games?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love them!

9 40.91%
  • I play a few

4 18.18%
  • Depends

1 4.55%
  • I've only played a small amount

3 13.64%
  • No, I don't like them

3 13.64%
  • I haven't tried any, but I want to

0 0%
  • I haven't tried any and I'm not interested

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play survival horror games?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do you play survival horror games?

They are not for me. Not that they don't seem interesting, but I get too spooked. I get spooked watching other people play them, let alone playing them myself

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Not for me either, Horror games dont scare. Why I would be scared of a bunch of stupid zombies or anything lame like that when I can get mauled in a dark dungeon by giant monsters from hell in games like Dark souls? I mean, that more scary right?..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blog Entries

If I play a game with guns I like having ammo. The closest thing to a horror survival I've finished is Last of Us. I did get scared by the 2 or so chapters i played of Project Zero/Fatal Frame though. I dont think I'd be scared by it anymore if I played it today but I also dont think I'd have the patience to run around slowly and aim poorly.

I prefer horror point and click adventures
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love them. Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, The Last of Us, and Amnesia are some of my favorite games. I'd add F.E.A.R. to the list but that isn't technically a survival horror.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I can't really call The Last of Us a survival horror game. It gives you way too much ammo for that. on my first playthrough I was conservative with my ammo, but on my second was wondering how much I could get away with and it became crazy easy when I could obliterate everything with molotovs and needle bombs.

The only survival horror games I've played are the first three Resident Evils. I want to play a Resident Evil someday, but I currently don't have any money and my laptop can barely run this DS emulator.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I generally like think. I'm always way to conservative with my ammo in them though, to the point I'm always leaving extra behind. The same went for the nail bombs and molotovs in The Last of Us.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I really don't like horror games. I mean, I find the lore, history and story fascinating. It's just the... horror? I don't like getting scared, or frightened, or anything like that.

At most, I can watch a 'perfect' play-through of one with no deaths. But that is a rare occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    At most, I can watch a 'perfect' play-through of one with no deaths. But that is a rare occasion.
    It's not always possible to play a horror game without dying.
    I seem to recall that you die in 'Slenderman' even if you collect all of the bits of paper, or whatever they were.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I seem to recall that you die in 'Slenderman' even if you collect all of the bits of paper, or whatever they were.
    So how do you win!?!

So how do you win!?!
    The point of the game is to try and avoid Slenderman for as long as possible.
    So, you win by avoiding him the longest.
    As far as I can remember, anyway. I haven't played it, or seen anyone else play it, since sixth form.

Articles
    Blog Entries

So how do you win!?!
    The point of the game is to try and avoid Slenderman for as long as possible.
    So, you win by avoiding him the longest.
    As far as I can remember, anyway. I haven't played it, or seen anyone else play it, since sixth form.
    But you die at the end anyway! How is that considered a 'victory'?

It isn't one.
    People just played it for the jump scares, really.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> Not for me either, Horror games dont scare. Why I would be scared of a bunch of stupid zombies or anything lame like that when I can get mauled in a dark dungeon by giant monsters from hell in games like Dark souls? I mean, that more scary right?..
    In DayZ it's the players that are scary not the zombies

I don't play your typical Silent Hill or Resident Evil survival horror. In DayZ you actually have to survive. Like eat and stay warm and not get sick or break your legs. Mother Nature and the other players are far more anxiety causing than the zombies are.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Last of Us is one of my favourite games, but it's about the extent of my foray into horror gaming. The Silent Hill titles are just too creepily tense for me, and raging gorefests aren't my cup of tea, which rules out some of the other major franchises.

I never had much patience for the stereotypical survival horror. So while I enjoyed some Resident Evil I mostly liked the obscure fringe games, and I've mostly only watched Markiplier play them, rather than play them myself. Alien Isolation was phenomenal. And an argument has been made for Bloodborne to be considered one, which is conceivable. I did like Eternal Darkness. I think that's about the extent of my experience. I've tried lots of random ones though, even mainstream. And while I like what Silent Hill has to offer, I haven't tried all the Silent Hill and I guess I just haven't found one to grab me

So I appreciate the genre, and am always on the lookout for a game in the genre to grab me. And every once in a while they pop up. Kinda wish I'd tried P.T. I think it would have been one of them. But yeah. I love the genre. It's just not in general for me. But there are the few gems I adore