Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are there fans of the Mass Effect games here?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    No, Ashley died for the good of the group. She was also racist against aliens so there's that too.
    While we're on the subject of racism in Mass Effect, I find it adorable that the entire human race are brought together in unity to be bigots to new alien species instead of being bigoted to each other and then wonder why the aliens treat them like second class citizens all the time.

Except Captain Anderson. #notallhumans

ME3 is still fantastic. The ending may have been a bit confusing or ambiguous. But the game is still great to play. I've enjoyed a lot of games with trout endings, so at least they tried. I guess doing finales are hard. I've seen a lot of books and movies fail at that most pivotal point as well. So its hard to hold it against them when they pretty much nailed everything else. It doesn't ruin the game, and it certainly doesn't ruin the series. It's just ... there. Nothing more

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's not confusing, it's dumb.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

ME3 was a great game. ME3's ending was not. But that's because Casey Hudson locked himself in a room and wrote the ending alone and hten kept it mostly a secret from the rest of the writing staff because... reasons? So that's why the ending is so jarring compared to the rest of the game, it was written by one guy. The rest of the staff had nothing to do with it but of course everyone got blamed. BUT HE'S GONE NOW He left in August of last year so maybe Mass Effect 4 will work better.

EA is having a pre-E3 conference on June 14th (16th is E3 official start date) so we may see something about ME4 then

Look this was tweeted by a Cinematic director two days ago for some motion capture!

HAVE CONCEPT ART

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

so pretty
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Harbinger x Shepard OTP.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Are we sharing videos? I love the commander shepard song.

But no matter what scars you bear, whatever uniform you wear. You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard but you'll never be better than commander shepard.

Articles
    Blog Entries

<3 Miracle of Sound.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Excitedly: Mass Effect is an amazing series. I have yet to play 3, but I think I'll start it pretty soon as I replayed ME2 just the other week. Jokingly: Femshep is much cooler as a character, but I like romancing the women more, so I'm torn.

I played through the whole series as dude Shep, and watched my girlfriend play through multiple times as a chick, and I played through the first game and most of the second as a chick, and I enjoyed both. I'm not sure why people have such disdain for the male version other than the possibility that it's just anti-establishment and going against the grain since male shep was canon and everyone wanted to be different. But now you're all the same! :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I played through the whole series as dude Shep, and watched my girlfriend play through multiple times as a chick, and I played through the first game and most of the second as a chick, and I enjoyed both. I'm not sure why people have such disdain for the male version other than the possibility that it's just anti-establishment and going against the grain since male shep was canon and everyone wanted to be different. But now you're all the same! :P
    Male Shep isn't canon. Shepard doesn't have a set gender. Male Shep is just the default in promotional stuff.

My brother is a huge Dragon Age fanatic so I recommended these games to him since they were made by the same people. I think DA spoiled him in a lot of ways because according to him the games aren't nearly as expansive as exploring DA's world was. Then there were the customizations for Shepard, which admittedly isn't that great. Compare Shep to the character models in the game and he/she looks awful. I don't know if that's improved in the later game because I never spent that much time on the character create screen.

He's having difficulty making it through the second game because it's even worse in the exploration side of things. You're severely cut off in the second game compared to where you were in the first. I never thought about it that way. It is a fair point to make. ME2 is pretty focused on that one area. I'm not sure if he'll like the third game any better. According to him there doesn't seem to be any mods for the game. With Dragon Age there are a ton of stuff to download but it doesn't seem like anyone bothered with Mass Effect. I don't know if he's just looking in the wrong places or not, but it's interesting.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

The main thing about Femshep for me is that her voice actor is better.

Exactly. Apparently the guy who does Manshep is better in 3 but I played through most of 2 a second time for the Jack/Miranda romances and I just can't stand his voice. Jennifer Hale put a lot more effort and emotion into it.

My only criticism of Femshep is the lack of romance options. I like Liara but she's got nothing on Jack or Miranda and that's probably because 2's characters are way better written than 1's. Thane is a pretty cool character and I would romance him if not for the whole dying thing.

I guess I'll just have to go with Morinth my next time through. I always liked her.

I'm sure everything will turn out okay.

But yes, romance is the one area I think ME completely fails compared to DA.

Aren't the male and female Shepherds exactly the same? They were in the scenes that I compared. Doesn't seem to be much basis to heavily prefer either!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mr. Carnelian got me into this series and I never looked back. It easily ranks as one of my top video game series. I just loved the story, the characters, the setting, and the game-play (though I did play on casual...). Some of my best gaming moments come from playing the series.

And to be honest, I really didn't mind ME3's ending much. I don't think I understand the criticism. It was vague, I guess. But I got the Synthesis ending and EDI's explanation of how the events affected her felt so deserved. Maybe it is just me. ME3 wasn't the best in the series though. I pined for more meaningful side-quests. Granted, the story didn't really allow for casual and fun joyrides through the galaxy but I did miss them. If nothing else, ME3 gave us the 'Citadel' DLC which is one of the most humorously in-jokey, engaging and strangely bittersweet experiences in the series, particularly if you play it right before the point of no return. What ME3 did great was ratchet up that sense of finality. Playing through the main missions, I really felt like I was getting towards the end.

And talking about EDI; easily my favorite companion in arguably the series. Her interactions with Joker in particular (and getting them together!) was one of the more enjoyable moments of ME3. I also loved Tali's development throughout the series.

Alright, question: Paragon or Renegade? I went with full paragon the entire way through.