Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are there fans of the Mass Effect games here?

1 was really good, and 2 had it's moments despite being almost entirely character sub plots. 3 was trash though. Worst deus ex machina ever.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I ended up hating everyone of the games. I wanted to like them and tried my best to, but I just couldn't. I bought 1,2, and 3 played them and then shut them off disgusted I wasted money on them. It sucks because they seem like a game I'd really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I ended up hating everyone of the games. I wanted to like them and tried my best to, but I just couldn't. I bought 1,2, and 3 played them and then shut them off disgusted I wasted money on them. It sucks because they seem like a game I'd really enjoy.
    Do you know what it was about them that made you dislike them so much?

This forum's fans aren't the pushy type, but perhaps we could help you appreciate it more, if something about it was bothering you. Unless you're just not into action hybrid RPGs, which is understandable

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I couldn't figure out why, just didn't do it for me. It was painful to make the playthrough, then the second I finished the games I gave them away because I knew I would never play them again.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Aren't the male and female Shepherds exactly the same? They were in the scenes that I compared. Doesn't seem to be much basis to heavily prefer either!
    They have different intonation and stuff when they speak. Gives off a different impression in many cases.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Are you fans of shooters? That could have been it if you went into the cover and fire type shooters.

I'm really excited for ME4 and am hoping we get some info at E3

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Aren't the male and female Shepherds exactly the same? They were in the scenes that I compared. Doesn't seem to be much basis to heavily prefer either!
    They have different intonation and stuff when they speak. Gives off a different impression in many cases.
    Well given that I went for completely different morality options with different versions, I couldn't help thinking the male Shepherd was calm and collected and the female Shepherd was a bit of a psycho. I'm guessing that was all down to the choices rather than the voice acting though?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Mass Effect Series

No active Mass Effect thread? Okay, I'll fix it.

Mass Effect is one of my favorite RPG series of all time. I love the first one, though if you read my review you'd think I hated it or something. It has a lot of problems I noticed more and more over time. I also adore Mass Effect 2 and it was my introduction into the franchise. Man it's hard jumping from that to 1 and back to 2 with how different the controls are. 3 is my least favorite and I suppose a lot of its problems can be contributed to being rushed or something. I don't know what happened. Femshep is best Shep.

Discuss.

TIM Was Right.

Just gonna quote the comment I made on this video
    I recently played the ME Trilogy for the first time. First game, I was a devout Spectre. I did everything for the Council, including saving their lives. They vowed to stop the Reapers.

Come the second game and they turned their backs on me, betraying me by going back on their word. The Alliance was similarly useless. I was wary of Cerberus, I had seen the kinda smurfed up trout they did in the first game. But you know what? They gave Shepard...everything. They gave her a ship, a crew, information...they gave her LIFE. All to stop the Collectors and save innocent colonists.

In the name of this objective, and out of appreciation for everything they had done for me, I was absolutely loyal to Cerberus. I kept David in Project Overlord, I gave them the Collector Base, I was a true believer and a faithful soldier. Then ME3 came and... Well, this is one of my favorite scenes from it:

Kaidan: And the Illusive Man?
    Shepard: Was he a good person?
    Kaidan: Once? Ever?
    Shepard: Well he gave me what I needed to stop the Collectors...
    Kaidan: Right. Exactly. But so you never saw this coming from them? From him?
    Shepard: (It's complicated) Back then he wanted the best for humanity, and he had resources to spare. But then it became humanity first and at any cost. And that..that's a very different thing. But this? No, I never saw this coming from him.
    I played the Trilogy as Femshep. I played ME2 as Manshep solely for the Jack/Miranda romances but goddam I can't stand his voice. The dude can't emote to save his life as far as I'm concerned.

Mass Effect 2 is one of my Top 5 RPGs ever now but if there's any area I think it lags behind DA it's romance options, especially for a female. I hated Kaidan in 1 and Liara was okay but the problem is ME1's characters kinda suck. But then ME2's characters were so friggin' unbelievably super duper good! But who did Femshep have?
    Garrus is my bro and I love him dearly but he's a bro, not a love interest.
    Samara? She's the only ME2 squadmate I actively dislike.
    Morinth? SHE KILLS ME.
    Thane? HE'S DYING.
    Kelly? I never got this to work. I actually tried too but no deal. I guess you have to pick the exact right dialogue choices or something.

But I just absolutely loved Miranda and Jack as characters and I really feel like Jack should have been a bisexual choice given we know she slept with a woman in the past. Oh well....

Miranda was the character my Femshep related to most. The "efficient, follow your orders, do what must be done" soldier type.

Yet I still obviously sympathized with Jack. That's why I had her kill that other Praggia survivor. Judging from how she is in ME3, I guess it was the right call. I also had Jack be my Biotic Barrier Maiden because she was created to be a super biotic and I knew she wouldn't let me down.

More of my YT comments:
    I just played Mass Effect 2 for the first time. I chose Jack for this part. She was created to be a super biotic and I knew she wouldn't let me down. And she didn't. Even as you saw how fatigued and weakened she was towards the end, even as you heard it in her voice that she was close to collapsing, she kept that barrier up for me. That last desperate sprint for the exit....

I love you, Jack.
    I also let Garrus shoot Sidonis, left the factory workers to burn in Zaeed's mission, and let Mordin kill Maelon. The last one I feel particularly strong about. I really hate the people who see Shep as a busybody do-gooder who should intervene in everything. What was going on between Mordin and Maelon had absolutely nothing to do with Shepard. The root of their conflict goes back years before Shepard ever met Mordin. It's rooted in a debate of ethics and guilt and rationalization Shep has no part in whatsoever. Stopping Mordin is sticking her nose in a place it simply does not belong.

I never got the love for Tali. She died on the Suicide Mission and I didn't even notice until I was checking on everyone post-game and saw sh ewasn't in the engineering room.

ME3 had its downsides, and maybe it wasn't as good as Suicide Mission, but holy hell the Battle for London....

That last part, when Hammer Team is wiped out, and it's up to you to launch the missiles, where you have to DISTRACT the Reaper, lure it closer with its instant beam of death, while enemies spawn all around you, while the world is shaking crazily because of the Reaper's death beam... It's a perfect scene of chaos and when this kicks in, you know it's up to YOU. This heroic struggle for survival is all up to you.

Also don't forget during this you'll hear the scream of MULTIPLE Banshees. That alone is enough to put the fear of god into you. It put the fear of god into me. Those things were the single hardest part of ME3. It reminded me of when I did Tali's mission in ME2 on Hardcore for the Geth Pulse Rifle. You have any idea how much I died there?

Squadmates listed from Favorite to Least:
    Miranda
    Jack
    Wrex (best ME1 Squadmate by lightyears)
    Garrus (I let him win the bottle shooting contest)
    Legion (Long live the geth, no one cares about the quarians)
    Mordin
    Thane
    Zaeed (my main party in ME2 was Shep, Miranda and Zaeed. Team Consummate Professional)
    Liara
    Morinth

These are all the characters I loved. The rest are in the Middle where I'm Eh about them.

Kaidan in ME3
    Kasumi
    Jacob
    Tali
    James
    EDI

Now the characters I actively dislike...
    Samara
    Ashley
    ME1 Kaidan
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 07-18-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    No active Mass Effect thread? Okay, I'll fix it.
    Less than a month ago is hardly inactive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My memory is getting worse.

I agree, Femshep doesn't get a lot of good romance options in these games. I plain forgot Jack was bisexual after a while.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Maybe femshep just wasn't jack's type.
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Gay male shep got no romance option until the last game of the trilogy. (Unless you count the 'hidden' Kaiden option also)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Maybe femshep just wasn't jack's type.
    Femshep is everyone's type.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

i... i can be femshep's type?