Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are there fans of the Mass Effect games here?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I do wish the ending incorporated more of the player choices throughout the series rather than a generic 'pick one of these three options for the end' that disregarded everything that happened before that.
    True, though to be honest, it'd be a tall order to formulate an epic massive ending that took into account all the major choices. It is slightly lazy, though, granted. I just think it would take quite a lot to incorporate so many variables.
    They touted all along how "All your choices matter! Something you do at the start might drastically effect the outcome of the game!", when in reality the only choice that mattered is that final one. If they hadn't sold it on that notion, then I don't think people would have really cared all that much. So yes, it would have taken a lot of effort to do what they promised, but if they couldn't feasibly manage it, then they shouldn't have promised it to begin with.

The thing I don't understand is when people say that the ending 'ruins' the whole of Mass Effect 3.

Even if you think that the ending is bad, that doesn't invalidate the rest of the game.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I suppose I should add that I didn't hate the ending, but I get the complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I suppose I should add that I didn't hate the ending, but I get the complaints.
    I understand why people didn't like the ending.

But, those reasons didn't bother me, so I enjoyed it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Maybe it was fairly stupid for them to emphasize just how much your choices would affect the ending. They did a pretty good job of your choices affecting everything but the ending.

And to be honest, they couldn't have that many endings. They had to end the trilogy. Having like, 10 or more different endings would make things really hard to wrap up just from a practical standpoint. I suppose I get the complaints now, thanks Shauna.

To be honest, I never really listen to what developers promise anyway. That's why I'm enjoying the Fable series so much

To be honest, I never really listen to what developers promise anyway. That's why I'm enjoying the Fable series so much
    NEVER believe developers' promises. They hype their games to ludicrous extremes, which they can never actually live up to. Looking at you, Peter Molyneux.

To be honest, I was pleased just to have a choice of endings. I had expected that there would only be one, with maybe a minor choice to lend difference, as in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I thought it was fairly clear. I mean, it was obvious the Reaper you saw on Tuchanka was not as large as Sovereign. Plus, it looked quite different.

EDI explained the different classes of Reaper in an optional bit of dialogue on board the Normandy. She gave comparisons of sizes and everything. It is completely optional, so you could miss it.

It's also explained in the codex.
    Lol well you must have superior size detection abilities to my own. I tend to need to see things in some common frame of reference to judge size!
    I definitely missed a lot of the codex stuff though, there was just too much of it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    ME3 explained that as not all Reapers are "Sovereign-class." Some are tinier and weaker.

Makes sense to me.
    Did it? At what point was that?
    I thought it was fairly clear. I mean, it was obvious the Reaper you saw on Tuchanka was not as large as Sovereign. Plus, it looked quite different.

EDI explained the different classes of Reaper in an optional bit of dialogue on board the Normandy. She gave comparisons of sizes and everything. It is completely optional, so you could miss it.

It's also explained in the codex.
    Something of that importance really shouldn't be boiled down to optional dialogue. Regardless, the Reapers fail as villains. There's no sense of urgency when you see them. The Collectors were more terrifying in Mass Effect 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Regardless, the Reapers fail as villains. There's no sense of urgency when you see them. The Collectors were more terrifying in Mass Effect 2.
    That's why they needed to bring in Cerberus.

The Reapers work brilliantly as an ominous, background threat, but they lack enough personality to be the foreground villains.

The Illusive Man and Kai Leng took those roles, and I think they served their function admirably.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The reapers are your impersonal main antagonist. In ME3, Cerberus is Shepard's personal antagonist.

I suppose the dialogue being optional is annoying, but who wouldn't want to go talk to EDI all the time!

I suppose the dialogue being optional is annoying, but who wouldn't want to go talk to EDI all the time!
    I really liked EDI. Her storyline is a bit cliche, but I thought it was pulled off rather well.

Her and Garrus are my favourite squad in Mass Effect 3.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Still a poor payoff as far as I'm concerned. Especially after two games worth of buildup for them and Sovereign being a badass. You know that Reaper who gets in your face during the Krogan mission? We needed more of that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I really liked EDI. Her storyline is a bit cliche, but I thought it was pulled off rather well.

Her and Garrus are my favourite squad in Mass Effect 3.
    EDI is arguably my favorite companion in the series. Her story-line is cliche but for a sci-fi beginner like me I've never actually witnessed this particular story trope before, so I fell in love with her and Joker's budding romance. Anyone who chose the 'don't pursue it option' is evil!

Still a poor payoff as far as I'm concerned. Especially after two games worth of buildup for them and Sovereign being a badass. You know that Reaper who gets in your face during the Krogan mission? We needed more of that.
    There was PLENTY of that.

There was the Rannoch mission, where you're basically in a Mexican standoff with a Reaper.

There was the mission on Thessia where a sovereign-class Reaper practically walks on top of you.

Finally, there was the run for the conduit, where three sovereign-class Reapers were shooting directly at you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There was PLENTY of that.

There was the Rannoch mission, where you're basically in a Mexican standoff with a Reaper.

There was the mission on Thessia where a sovereign-class Reaper practically walks on top of you.

Finally, there was the run for the conduit, where three sovereign-class Reapers were shooting directly at you.
    Ah, well. In that case I'll go back to talking about things I like instead.

Garrus is the man and I was seriously considering cheating on Liara with him.