She has a penis tattoo on her arm.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Click here to listen to my most controversial statement yet...

#2: FINAL FANTASY X

Dear God, save me.

I apologize to ToriJ, Karifean, Pike, and probably about 90% of the FF fanbase who still consider this game to be awesome. I am sorry. I am not one of you.

I used to love this game as a kid, I really did. But then it just didn’t hold up in my view. What I used to consider a fun and strategic battle system now just seems boring, slow and repetitive, even with the Expert Sphere Grid. I used to love this story and thought it really had great depth, but the more I think about it, the worse it gets…

How can you write a story about the tragedy of death when it is made clear that the afterlife is not the end? You can visit your dead quite literally whenever you want to, and yet it’s still considered a huge loss. Even if you argue that those may just be illusions made by the pyreflies, there’s like a whole crapton of people walking around that should be dead but aren’t. There is undeniable evidence of the afterlife in this world – how is the fear of death still a thing? Say what you will, but for me, it really cheapens the impact of Sin and the destruction that it causes.

Another thing I don’t like about this game is how they go about religion. I’m really okay with religion being portrayed as corrupt and such – Xenogears and Final Fantasy Tactics are among my favorite games. I just feel that here the church of Yevon is painted as this purely, one-dimensionally evil entity, with people following religion only because they were stupid enough not to think about it too much. I’m all for giving us corrupt churches that use people to their own ends. But when you tell me I have to be completely ignorant of everything to even consider religion a valid option, well, things get personal.

The story is also virtually identical to Grandia II, which came out only a short time earlier, though, so I doubt this is a case of plagiarism. What Grandia II did well, though, is that it didn’t treat itself so seriously. Final Fantasy X is joyless and tries to present itself as something meaningful and deep, but none of that pretense can mask what I consider to be a really shallow story with paper-thin characters.

I’ve also recently replayed this game on the Vita, and while I can see it’s not that bad a game, I couldn’t get myself to finish it. It failed to grip my interest and the excessive grinding that needs to be done by the end really didn’t make it any easier.

The reason why this is so high on the list, despite not being nearly as bad a game as Final Fantasy XIII, is that I simply hate how much hype it gets, especially compared to other FFs I consider vastly superior but get overlooked way too often. People continue to gush about a story they consider amazing, and yet I can’t help but feel that I’ve outgrown it. Final Fantasy X was cool when I was a teen. Not it’s just… meh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, I get it. This is secretly your top 5 best Final Fantasy games list. Bold move including III, CC, and XIII. No wonder you were so concern with having XIII on here.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really like X! Yuna and Kimahri especially

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Keep telling yourself that

Articles
    Blog Entries

*sigh* there it is. My favorite game, not counting VNs of course.

Interestingly enough, I can't find myself agreeing with any single one of your complaints. Like I know that none of my favorites are perfect or flawless and I'm not arguing that, but the particular things you listed... don't really ring true for me at all. Without love, it really cannot be seen, huh.

So... what game in the series is worse than XIII? That I'm curious to hear.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My guess is X-2.

For the most part, I agree with all your points Fynn, but then again I was hating on this game long before and only eased up when XIII showed me it could be so much worse. Why do good developer leave their company or move to mobile while troutty ones like Motomu Toriyama get to make large budget games?

To me, FFX is just a very mediocre game with a plot taken verbatim from Japanese legend, stretched out so thin they had to add a half ass cliche evil religion subplot that did very little for the real plot. The cast also that felt like it was made by committee. The battle system would be great if the actual main story campaign made regular use of it, instead of making it shine in the 11th hour post game nonsense.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

you guys are meanie bowbeanies

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    you guys are meanie bowbeanies
    I said it was better than FFXIII didn't I?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

meanie

(SPOILER)bowbeanie

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I dropped enough hints for it to be clear what game will be number 1

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think I'm gonna play some Final Fantasy X and share it with friends. Fun game.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dirge of Cerberus? Did Masashi do music for that game too? I'm having trouble thinking of what all he did in the FF franchise. I just keep thinking of other things like Unlimited Saga.