Thread: Fynn's top 10/bottom 5 FF list!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's spelled "two", Tori. As a writer, you shoild be careful with these details.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Your right.

FFX and FFX-2 are both good in their own ways.

That being said, FFX has an infinitely better soundtrack. X-2's was good but this is Final Fantasy and here "good" just doesn't cut it when it comes to the music.

I shudder at the implications that FFVIII will be on your top list now. Above FFX.

I think saying FFVIII is a good game is against the law in the more civilized parts of the world. i should make a preemptive strike and point out that if you added up the collective character deelopment of FFVIII's entire playable cast they MIGHT have about as much depth as any single FFX party member displayed at any given time. Which means Lulu and Wakka's conversation on the one ship still beats out all the "development" Selphie, Irvine or Zell got for the entire game.

Seriously, the FFVIII cast are NES level cutouts and stereotypes. Except the FF2 party didn't waste my goddam time by talking too much. FFVIII has the worst party in the entire franchise, bar none.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 05-19-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

While FFVIII is not on the list, it has the best, most emotionally complex protagonist in the entire series.

FFX is about as deep as a teaspoon.

How could it not be on the list? I mean, how many FF games are there? Unless one of the XIII sequels or Dissidia is on the list, I don't see how FFVIII can't make the cut.

And Squall does not salvage the fact everything else about his game is awful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    How could it not be on the list? I mean, how many FF games are there? Unless one of the XIII sequels or Dissidia is on the list, I don't see how FFVIII can't make the cut.

And Squall does not salvage the fact everything else about his game is awful.
    Meh, I don't think it's awful. I liked it a lot, just not enough to make the list.

And if anyone here has seen my top 25 games, my top four FFs are there. Two of them aren't numbered games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Counting the spinoffs and direct sequels, there are more FF games than I care to count. I managed to make a Top Ten list of my own that didn't have all the main number entries on there. It's not that hard.

FFX is the greatest game ever made and FFVIII is one of the best games in the series. [/discussion]

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    it has the best, most emotionally complex protagonist in the entire series.
    Well that's one thing we agree on at least. Those inner monologues were great.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Listen to my sensual voice.

#9: FINAL FANTASY II

Here’s another game that is often considered a black sheep in the series. Final Fantasy II is awesome if only because it didn’t go the easy way and repeat the FFI formula – it employed many unique features, some of which would become series staples, but most of them didn’t make it out of this game. That really set the precedent of each subsequent FF reinventing the series.

I may be more lenient towards this game since I only discovered it when it came out on GBA, and that version fixes a lot of issues that made the original frustrating. I found the skill system very interesting with spell ranks and weapon proficiencies growing every time you use them. So this time, instead of being set to one class like in FFI (and a lot of other RPGs at the time), you get to really go deep with the character customization. I also didn’t mind the beefgates on the world map – it felt more natural for the world to be actually an open place and you being forced out of an area only because the enemies were too strong. Call me weird, but I find that much more believable than the whole world just being covered in broken bridges that the heroes conveniently fix. The keyword system was odd, but fun in that I could actually expect people to respond differently to me depending on what I said, unlike the usual one line NPCs gave.

I love the feel this story has. The world map theme, which is noticeably more somber than any other FF overworld theme, really emphasizes how bleak the situation is. The world at war is not a happy place, and you can really feel it. Towns get razed, numerous people die, and the world feels terribly empty when it finally gets taken over by a demon from hell. While the characters don’t have many lines, they’re still fairly distinct and it’s interesting to see how each of their lives has been influenced by the war.

Overall, a very good game, and pretty much the only one of its kind, looking at how little gameplay elements got carried over to the rest of the series. The only thing remotely similar after this was the SaGa series, which I need to get deeper into someday. Although it never had the best reputation, I can see more and more people being appreciative of FFII nowadays, which makes me happy. Regardless of my recent name change, the characters of Final Fantasy II (Minwu especially) will forever stay dear to my heart, despite their simplicity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was a good game but didn't stand out for me

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy II is pretty great. I might have to do one of these kinds of lists someday soon. I'm finally getting around to playing Final Fantasy V Advance, and that will leave me with III as the only offline main FF game I haven't beaten.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Took me a second time and a walkthrough to appreciate it, but it easily became one of my favorites. Watching enemies run away with their tail between their legs is such a satisfying experience.

Well as long as FFVIII isn't on the list...and it is refreshing to see a fellow FF2 fan. We're a rare breed.

-Ocelot hand gesture-

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFVIII may not be on the list, but it's still a fantastic game

Listen to me!

#8: FINAL FANTASY IV

Of all the FFs I have ever played, I have probably replayed this one the most. And I’m never really sure why. The plot is relatively naïve and simple, I know all the twists, and yet I keep coming back to it and always enjoy it. Probably has to do with the fact that I consider it the most classic FF of all, being an embodiment of what the series standard looks like. Might also have to do with the fact that it was my first numbered game.

I love Final Fantasy IV’s gameplay not despite its relative lack of customization, but because of it. Each character has their own class that remains fixed, save for story-related changes, and the characters come and go as the story dictates, and you have nothing to say about it. That might seem restrictive nowadays, but it actually helps really flesh out the story and dynamics between characters. Also, it’s the only numbered FF so far that allows for five-member parties. Why has this not become a more permanent thing, again?
    The story itself is filled with dramatic twists and turns with a lot of tropes that are considered incredibly cliché nowadays, but FFIV has the excuse of actually codifying some of them, and at times being pretty creative in going about them as well, much more than some more modern FFs (*cough*X*cough*). The gameplay elements I mentioned earlier really help the narrative in a way I never really expected was a big thing until I played other games. In any case, clichés aside, the story is simple, and yet it can still suck you in due to how well-executed it was.

But even the most classic of FFs can feel a bit… narmy at times. Which is why I consider the DS remake of this game to be the ultimate FFIV experience. Not only is my inner neat freak satisfied with all the portraits matching their 3D models, all done in a uniquely beautiful new art style, but the dialogue receives an incredible retranslation and quite a lot of voiced cutscenes, some of them brand new. All those things help elevate the story from a flat, sometimes silly one, to something that is truly epic. The PSP version released later only drove the point further home. The DS version is the way FFIV should be played – difficult and beautiful, and with much less cheese.

Final Fantasy IV remains one of the most important FFs in history. After the initial weirdness of games I through III, the series formula has finally settled in and it’s thanks to Final Fantasy IV that FF looks the way it does today. While still a bit naïve when I think about it, I keep getting surprised at how timeless this game really is whenever I play it. If you haven’t played FFIV already – by God, what the hell are you waiting for?!