So I've been challenging myself to make a lot more healthy recipes lately as I embark on a little bit of a fitness project. I wanted to make a bunch of things I don't often make.

Today's recipe is Red Lentil Dhal and Cauliflower Rice!

What I used

To make the Red Lentil Dhal

1 white onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 red chilli
Small handful of chopped coriander leaves
Tsp of ginger
2 tsp of crushed cumin seeds
3 tsp of turmeric
1 tbsp of curry powder
3 fresh tomatoes
2 pints chicken stock (you can use veggie stock too)
2 cups of split red lentils

1. I diced up all my veggies as small as possible, and added them to the pan with the coriander and a little oil and allowed them to sweat over a medium heat before adding the ginger, cumin seeds, turmeric, and curry powder.

2. I added a tiny bit of the chicken stock to the pan - just enough to cover the ingredients, but not to drown them. Once the spices had infused with the ingredients I dropped in my finely chopped tomatoes. You can also use a can of crushed tomatoes if you want, I just used fresh this time.

3. Stir it all together so the flavours combine and the tomatoes are brought up to temperature.

4. Add in the lentils. I stirred them through the onion mix and let them soak up that flavour for about a minute before I poured in a pint of the chicken stock.

5. Give it a stir and then leave it cook on a medium heat.

To make the Cauliflower Rice

1 Cauliflower
Olive oil
Garlic Salt
Juice of 2 lemons

6. While waiting for the lentils to cook, I grated up the cauliflower florets into a bowl. I really only used the heads and not so much the stalks, but you can grate that as well, it might just add differing textures to the rice.

7. Added the juice of two lemons, about a tablespoon of olive oil, and a generous shake of garlic salt to season.

8. Return to the dhal - keep stirring it. If it's getting dry and the lentils aren't cooked yet add more stock - I got through about 2 pints all together. Also, the best way to break down the lentils is to go through the pan with a wire whisk. It's cooked when the lentils are soft and break down easily.

9. To cook the cauliflower rice, add it to a pan with enough hot water just to cover and boil for about 3 minutes - or until it's softened. It's quite easy to overcook it to mush so keep an eye on it. If you like it a to have more of a 'crunch' then just cook it for a little less time. Drain and serve.

I served the Dhal in a big bowl with a dollop of yoghurt swirled through the centre, and a bit more coriander sprinkled on the top. It was actually really easy to make and super delicious - very filling, lots of flavour, and it is vegetarian friendly and with some tweaks can be made vegan friendly too. Better still, there are leftovers today that I'm going to have to lunch!

Next recipe will be some chorizo and mushroom quesadillas with avocado. Not quite so healthy.... but we'll see!