View Poll Results: Would you like to take part in the amazing, unique summer tournament?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

11 61.11%
  • NO

7 38.89%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you take part in a "raise and fight" Pokemon Tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I know that Denmark is interested
    troof

So that's 66 Pokémon to breed up now.

Hmm, I wonder what the prize for the winner will be...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Make that 72.
    Given the remark about Eevee, I assume evolving what Pokemon I get is allowed?

And then there is Death

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post

Make that 72.
    I thought that was implied.

I had another consideration. Perhaps just having Pokemon with 3 evolutions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post

Make that 72.
    I thought that was implied.

I had another consideration. Perhaps just having Pokemon with 3 evolutions?
    If you guys want, we can try that, but it would be really restrictive. There are only 86 evolution lines with 3 stages. Several of those are already invalid: Magmortar, Electivire, Conkeldurr, Gigalith, Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp, Golem, Rhyperior, Kingdra, Porygon Z, Dusknoir, which all require evolution by trade.

This leaves us with only 74 left, and we already need 72 for the event. Plus, some of those are only three stage evolutions if we count their baby form. Since baby Pokémon all evolve via friendship (which takes extra training time), offer nothing really competitively, and require me to change up the breeding items to even get them, I am quite hesitant to breed for them.

Plus, that would invalidate all the breeding work I've already done on the 58 eggs that I've already prepared.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In that case, forget about it, I say. It was just something I thought worth considering.
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

All done. I barely had enough viable (able to breed, and discounting trade evolution) Pokémon in my battle set to breed up the 72 we needed. It took all of my viable Pokémon with only like three exceptions, and Eevee. I wasn't sure how many Eevee to breed, so I was delaying it until the end, and I just barely squeaked by without needing to breed them.

If we get another player, I'll breed up the last few Pokémon and a couple of Eevee to fill up the total. If not, I'll probably offer an Eevee to the winner, bred for competitive IVs, Nature, and Ability to match the Eeveelution of the winner's choice.

EDIT: I do have a few more viable Pokémon than I originally thought. I SHOULD be able to cover one more newcomer. So Eevee will remain the prize Pokémon at this point.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 05-14-2015 at 04:13 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I said no, but I could be interested. I just don't know that my internet router offers me the right connection to be able to do these battles. So really I'm a tentative yes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If Pike and Mister Adequate do indeed decide to take part, that's 84 eggs already.

I'm surprised you did it so fast, Sky! That tempo gives us enough legroom to take on whatever amount of potential participants. I'll still open the official sign ups soon, so that we get the final list of contestants ahead of time. Transferring all those eggs to me will take some time too. I'll start catching those junk Pokemon today, and maybe we can have a couple eggs in place already.

BTW, it'd be hilarious if one person got all the Eevees

Regarding what Pumpkin said - that's what I expect we're gonna do. In the raising stage thread, we could all post what Pokemon we hatched (so as to prevent cheating, like secret trading and stuff) and then post as much of our progress as we see fit. It'd also be nice if we could share training tips, but Skyblade is already a walking Pokemon encyclopedia if I've ever seen one, so the chances of someone providing tips Skyblade doesn't have to give are pretty slim

EDIT: with Night Fury in, that's a potential 90.

90 is definitely going to break my prebuilt parent bank. It will take me a couple of days to prepare the others. I already had two more that I was going to work on training up next anyway, so I'll use this as an excuse to build them up. But I'll have to do a bit of thinking about who I should grab for the others...

I'll also have to think of a new reward, since I'll be using the Eevee in the tournament. I want something unique and special...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Take your time, there's still plenty. Why not try a random number generator, like Jinx said?

Here's a Pokemon generator specifically: http://randompokemon.com

You could treat those random Pokemon as suggestions for you to consider and then pick the ones you consider the best suited for the tournament.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thinking about it, you may as well lump MissH and I as one player. We only have the one 3DS so wouldn't be able to battle each other.

That will free up another space for anyone else who might want to join.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thinking about it, you may as well lump MissH and I as one player. We only have the one 3DS so wouldn't be able to battle each other.

There's no "spaces" per se, though. We have enough time for Skyblade to breed enough Pokemon, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

If you're worried about that, I still don't know what kind of tournament rules we'll be using. If it turns out there's a huge amount of people, we probably won't have everyone fight everybody.

EDIT: Sky - how many Eevees are there gonna be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

There's no "spaces" per se, though. We have enough time for Skyblade to breed enough Pokemon, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

If you're worried about that, I still don't know what kind of tournament rules we'll be using. If it turns out there's a huge amount of people, we probably won't have everyone fight everybody.

EDIT: Sky - how many Eevees are there gonna be?
    I have no idea. I mean, I could breed one for every Eeveelution, but unless people coordinated, we'd probably get duplicates. There are three main archetypes for the Eeveelutions: Special Sweeper (Espeon, Jolteon, Glaceon), Physical Sweeper (Leafeon and Flareon), and Defensive Wall (Umbreon, Sylveon, and Vaporeon). I could breed one for each archetype, maybe?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, three Eevees seems reasonable to me. Let's see how the others feel about that.