Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Anyone planning on getting this when it's released?

I wasn't sure at first but after seeing more of the game I'm really smurfing excited. Some of environments look stunning and it's been getting 10/10 all over the place. I wish I had a little more free cash so I could rush out and buy this in three days!

Anyway, who fancy it?

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I got it free when I purchased my new GPU, and I already have it pre-loaded.

I have yet to play the first two but from what I've read playing the first two isn't a prerequisite. So I'll probably just go ahead and play it.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I got the boxed PC version with a bundled comic and the limited edition strategy guide coming on Tuesday. Also finished the fan translation of the last book, so I'm excited the game's almost here. Curious to see how it runs on my PC after all the recent discussion about downgrades.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I have yet to play the first two but from what I've read playing the first two isn't a prerequisite. So I'll probably just go ahead and play it.
    Yeah, I don't like entering a series a few games in but I've heard this as well. I started the Uncharted games on the second one and that didn't make any difference.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Yeah, I don't like entering a series a few games in but I've heard this as well. I started the Uncharted games on the second one and that didn't make any difference.
    I've also heard this as well. Witcher 1 is PC only (very odd), while Witcher 2 went on to console as well. I don't own a PC well enough to play Witcher 1, so if and when I'll get this game I'll probably start at Witcher 2. Which I know isn't supposed to make a difference but I feel like I'm missing out anyway.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Witcher 1 is PC only (very odd), while Witcher 2 went on to console as well.
    Apparently the developers CD Projekt RED kept running into odd hurdles when porting the games to consoles (probably because they had zero experience working with the console side of things at that point). The first Witcher (re-branded "The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf) was planned to be ported to PS3 and 360 (trailers for this exist) for a very long time but after so many financial hiccups and contractual fall throughs they were busy working on TW2 and just gave up on it. The second game was actually planned for 360 and PS3 (even some of the trailers list PS3) but again somewhere along the line things fell through so there's a 360 port now but it never got put on PS3.

How well TW3 performs could change all that though, especially in this current era of re-releasing/making/mastering/porting every successful game out there.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

PSA, the digital version should be live for download I believe.

NVidia also released their Tweak Guide for the game:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gui...tweaking-guide

I definitely recommend PC players check it out when they get a chance, as the game's settings are too demanding for any single enthusiast graphics card to max at 1080p and 60fps. Setting a target goal for the experience you want and then configuring it accordingly is one of the most rewarding aspects of PC gaming. For an idea of what framerates you can expect, PC Games Hardware has comprehensive breakdown here:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Wi...marks-1159196/

The website is German but the benchmark sections use the English names, which I imagine aren't that much different from German. Long story short, GTX 900 and AMD R9 series cards are doing very well, although GTX 700 series and below are underperforming considerably.

FFXIV Character

To anyone that's played it; how true are the "downgrade" claims?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't say they downgraded it, rather that they took the game in a different artistic direction. On the one hand, the 2013 gameplay trailer comparisons clearly show there are different assets, LOD is now less detailed, many effects are missing, the Image Quality was overall just a lot sharper. However, when you crank the grass density and foliage distance, and you actually see the game in motion, with its colorful landscapes and weather effects and everything swaying in the wind, it's immediately apparent that the team had a creative vision that diverged from the realistic, monochromatic footage that was initially shown. And they nailed it. I was just discussing this with a friend and we agreed that while Crysis 3 probably has the most sophisticated visual output, I would still say that artistically, The Witcher 3 is the most impressive game on PC right now. It really looks like a painting in motion.

The cynics want you to believe that CDPR had to hold their vision back once the underwhelming next-gen console specs were revealed but along that line of reasoning, the current state of PC gaming must have held them back as well. As the benchmarks show, anyone not using the latest series of AMD and Nvidia cards is having a really rough time trying to run this game. It's a demanding monster as is and I cringe to think about the backlash if they had delivered something as hyper realistic as the first trailers. If anything, I imagine DX11 just didn't deliver the GPU utilization they were looking for.

We might get back to some of the original features as time goes on with patching and mods. Just today they released an enhanced sharpening setting which was one of the main aesthetics of the early builds. And they have hinted that some of that stuff will be more possible with DX12. They've already surpassed my expectations of how this would look and run on my R9 290 and I'm excited for AMD's driver update next week to get my second card going in crossfire. For anyone wanting to see CDPR's breakdown on the issue, I recommend reading this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-issue-head-on

Default Witcher 3

I got this game for free while building a new computer - it came with the video card.

Anyone playing it? Anyone with not a lot of free time trying to play it? What are your impressions?

I am attracted to the supposed Skyrim-scale open world, but the third person really bugs me.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Merged your thread with the existing one. :}

Articles
    Blog Entries

So far it's been great. The facial animations alone automatically elevate it above other dialogue and choice heavy RPGs. The time of day and weather effects are impressive and create all these random moments that feel like they were hand-crafted instead. Witcher games have always given a lot of choice for players in combat but some of the things they added (passive loadouts, secondary spell functions, decoction potions) bring an entirely new level of customization depth I haven't seen in action RPGs. And the story is the same high standard we expect from CDPR, with some scenes that are already among the most powerful I've seen in a game. Specifically with the Bloody Baron and his family.

It lives up to its reputation as "The Skyrim Killer" but there is one area where Bethesda comes away unscathed and that's how they litter their open worlds with dungeons and mini quests. Wild Hunt feels more like an open world action game as most of the points of interest are bandit dens, monster nests, treasure hunts and the like. There are some solid dungeons but they seem few and far between. Thats one area they could still improve upon. Otherwise, this is a must play game for fans of RPGs and open world AAA games.

Fynn, it's time to talk about OUR BEST VIDEO GAME here!
    TW1 was PC Only, because it was their first AAA game, simply.
    When it became famous, they focused on conquering worldwide gamers with TW2, and you know the rest. :P
    We're very proud of this game, this is our legacy and it's great that Poland is aknowledged thanks to Sapkowski's saga. :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I mentioned this elsewhere already - my best friend works for CDProjekt and gas been working on The Witcher 3. And I'm super happy

I've yet to play the games though. Need to finish the books first. I also plan to offer my own translation of the rest of the books. I heard the original translation is notoriously bad.

@Fynn - I read all books, except Season Of Storms (Sezon Burz) and didn't play any game... maybe I'll have the chance in the future? Who knows? XD