Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123456781222 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's Character Tournament!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Tifa, definitely. My favorite character in the game, and she has one of my favorite character moments in the entirety of the series.
    I feel like I'm judging this as if they were actually going to fight. If I was basing it on personality, Tifa would win, although Red XIII is fantastic.

But I'm sticking to my 'death match' setting. I want to see Tifa mauled!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So about a day in and we have
    Tifa 5
    Red XIII 3

I'll be posting up the next round tomorrow before the end of this round (schedule stuff), but you'll still have the 48 hours on Tifa vs Red XIII if anyone else wants to cast their vote

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Tifa, definitely. My favorite character in the game, and she has one of my favorite character moments in the entirety of the series.
    I feel like I'm judging this as if they were actually going to fight. If I was basing it on personality, Tifa would win, although Red XIII is fantastic.

But I'm sticking to my 'death match' setting. I want to see Tifa mauled!
    Pumpkin said at the beginning that she likes characters as characters, and that's why these are her favorites, so I think a characterization/personality preference should win.

Besides, who wins in any battle of FFVII characters comes down to what Materia they have equipped.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, Forms, I don't get your problem. Tifa kicked all sorts of ass in my game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh Formy can vote however he want to

Like I said, you guys can vote for looks for all I care. Especially for the less popular games if you don't know the characters. Vote for looks, vote for what I say about them in my intro paragraph, vote for whoevers name you like better, whatever you want! This is just a silly tournament for fun, especially since I already know who would win if it was just left up to me

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fun? What's that? I'm not familiar with this word.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I wasn't aware I had a problem? I'm sorry, I'm lost. I wasn't aware there were some of sort of criteria to this fun contest.

I'm merely basing this particular contest on my game-play experiences with Tifa and Red XIII. I mean, materia does equalize many things, but characters do have some subtle differences. By end-game when characters typically do 9999~ damage, characters with multiple hit limit breaks tend to fair better. That, and her ultimate weapon isn't that great.

I mean, you are right, ultimately there is not a terribly large difference whoever you use. But for my own personal vote, I am going to basing all of this on 'who would win in a fight'? I won't know like, half the characters. I can't really judge them on personality or characterization. I can at least attempt to judge them on their physical combat. It just so happens that I've played FFVII so that I can actually delve into the game's mechanics to make an actual decision.

Sheesh. I wasn't aware I had to justify my decision. I feel like I'm on trial.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I wasn't aware I had a problem? I'm sorry, I'm lost. I wasn't aware there were some of sort of criteria to this fun contest.

I'm merely basing this particular contest on my game-play experiences with Tifa and Red XIII. I mean, materia does equalize many things, but characters do have some subtle differences. By end-game when characters typically do 9999~ damage, characters with multiple hit limit breaks tend to fair better. That, and her ultimate weapon isn't that great.

I mean, you are right, ultimately there is not a terribly large difference whoever you use. But for my own personal vote, I am going to basing all of this on 'who would win in a fight'? I won't know like, half the characters. I can't really judge them on personality or characterization. I can at least attempt to judge them on their physical combat. It just so happens that I've played FFVII so that I can actually delve into the game's mechanics to make an actual decision.

Sheesh. I wasn't aware I had to justify my decision. I feel like I'm on trial.
    Jesus, buddy, chill I was being tongue-in-cheek, if that wasn't obvious. I never said you were wrong in voting for Red - I just meant that I didn't get why you consider Tifa such a crutch character while I considered her useful throughout the whole game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alrighty, we still have a while left in first round voting, but I'm going to start round 2. Feel free to vote for the first round if you haven't yet, and go ahead with this one if you want! I think it's a less popular game though so we'll see what participation is like.

Skies of Arcadia Legends:

VS

Vyse is a sky pirate who rescues Fina from the evil empire one day. She dresses strangely, she doesn't know what most of the local stuff is, and she has a strangle little floating creature named Cupil that follows her around. Vyse, being the guy he is, takes her under his wing and he and his childhood friend, Aika, treat her like a best friend. She's overjoyed by having such lovely friends and always does her best for the team. Vyse becomes captain and serves as an inspirational and positive leader for his crew.

In battle, Vyse uses duel blades and Fina uses Cupil, who will turn in to different weapons depending on how many of a certain item you find. Because of how the game works, characters can switch elements of their weapons whenever they want to, which leads to different skills being learned. Vyse defaults to more physically strong while Fina is more of a healer.

Voting open 48 hours!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've not even heard heard of this game series before. This will be fun. Vyse looks more deadly, but Fina can probably throw several bags of tricks given her sidekick can transform into weapons. That and she can heal though she is squishy. If Fina could make Cupil transform into a tank, that would be game over right then, but alas, I imagine that'd cause some crazy power imbalances.

Personality-wise, Vyse appears to be more likable and develop a positive attitude. Fina is sort of punted into 'damsel in distress' territory. A tough match, but I'll go with Vyse. There's no proof that Cupil could turn into a dragon or a tank, and therefore loses major points in that regard.

And I still love you Fynn. Nothing could change that!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

She does get a few weapons, but none so deadly as that. Cupil can turn in to a sword, a drill, a weight, a hammer, a pan, a star, a cannon, a club, and maybe a few others and some variations on that

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    She does get a few weapons, but none so deadly as that. Cupil can turn in to a sword, a drill, a weight, a hammer, a pan, a star, a cannon, a club, and maybe a few others and some variations on that
    Ugh, how tame! Fina really missed a trick there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably for game balance like you said

"Here's a really good healer you guys, also she can use a tank while the others use like swords and stuff"
    "Okay well I guess I know who's going in my party!"

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Fina is a very nice person, but I just resonate with Vyse more. He's a good guy!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Tifa. I just don't like Red XIII gameplay-wise.

Haven't played Skies of Arcadia Legends but I'll go with Vyse. He seems like the kind of character I'd really like.