Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fire Emblem: If

Articles
    Blog Entries

So apparently same-sex relationships are possible in this game! How progressive!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a small step, though. You only get one character for the avatar - a man in the Nohr scenario and a woman in the Hoshido one - and supposedly the other characters may get gay options, but that's nothing certain. Still, a small step is still a step and I'm happy they're implementing this, easying their audience into this.

Although I think I read somewhere on TVTropes that Roy is canonically implied to be gay? Idk.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    So apparently same-sex relationships are possible in this game! How progressive!
    How are they gonna explain inherited traits though? Magic? Or maybe they both just trained their child from birth. I guess that works.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    How are they gonna explain inherited traits though? Magic? Or maybe they both just trained their child from birth. I guess that works.
    MPreg?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

well we've never been shown naked men in the fire emblem series. For all we know, they might have vaginas under there as well as penises.

It is very earthocentric to assume every fantasy world has the same physiology as our own.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pardon my shortsightedness, then.

What about the girls, then? Immaculate conception?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It's a small step, though. You only get one character for the avatar - a man in the Nohr scenario and a woman in the Hoshido one - and supposedly the other characters may get gay options, but that's nothing certain. Still, a small step is still a step and I'm happy they're implementing this, easying their audience into this.

Although I think I read somewhere on TVTropes that Roy is canonically implied to be gay? Idk.
    Wait, the gender of your avatar depends on which story line you choose? That's troutty.
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

Wait, the gender of your avatar depends on which story line you choose? That's troutty.
    No, no. The gender of the gay option. If you're playing a guy, there's only one guy you can romance in the Nohr route and no male romances in the Hoshido route, and the opposite is true if you're playing a girl.

Articles
    Blog Entries

We have to remember this IS Japan. They are surprisingly backwards when it comes to homosexuality. You only have to remember that game Tomodachi Life which didn't have any option for same-sex relationships.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's actually much less a case of Japan being homophobic, but rather Nintendo being family-friendly and wanting to avoid any kind of controversy. So yes, this is a nice step in the right direction, albeit a small one.

We have to remember this IS Japan. They are surprisingly backwards when it comes to homosexuality. You only have to remember that game Tomodachi Life which didn't have any option for same-sex relationships.
    Are they really backward?

From what I've been told the Japanese attitude is just quite weird. I'm told that they've never really persecuted gays but that they don't believe it's an actual immutable characteristic and is more just a kind of wacky behaviour or something like that?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Japan used to be super chill about homosexuality, even encouraging such acts, but later the West told them it's bad. Same thing with nudism, which is apparently why panties are such a huge fetish in Japan.

...Anyway, Fire Emblem!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Right, so I've never actually played the Fire Emblem series before. At which point in the series should I start playing? Is it all one connected world (doesn't look like it) or more sort of separate stories so it is not crucial to have played the others? Also, what is the general premise behind the games?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I only played Awakening on the 3DS and it's pretty dang good. While the story is very meh, the characters are very memorable and you can build relationships between them, which is super neat. Other than that it's a strategy RPG - a quite challenging one - with a very robust system that you can really sink your teeth into.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Formy, start with Fire Emblem Awakening since it's basically the best game for beginners to play, and make sure you go with Casual when you start, since you do get to keep most of your units, even after they "die" in a chapter. In previous games, when a unit dies, it's permanent, so you may end up having to soft reset and start a chapter over to prevent them from happening. I usually end up losing a few units when I played one of the older games, either because I couldn't protect them, or I just didn't want to bother resetting a chapter.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.