Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How effective are Monks

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Monk vs. Organic: Obvious enough. Break bones, damage internal organs, etc.
    Monk vs. Mechanical: Ever punched or kicked a TV? If you do it enough, you can probably do some good damage to a car, too.

And keep in mind they don't just do it a few times, most FF monks have to do it repeatedly before an enemy dies. Imagine if a professional boxer punched something about 50 times (many Monks attack multiple times per Attack command) in full attack mode and I imagine they could do serious damage to all kinds of things.

I don't think a monk defeating a tank is much more absurd than a guy with a sword defeating a tank, let alone a guy with a gun defeating a tank. At some point you have to just appreciate that these characters you are playing as are genuinely hyper-powered.
    Punching a home electronic device is a bit different than punching a combat machine. It's not more absurd than doing it with a sword, but both are definitely very absurd. It'd be better if lots of machinery was just really resistant to blunt and slashing damage and only really took damage from explosives, piercing and magic instead. Then again, final fantasy never really cared much about physical damage types.
    Actually depending on the sword or spear it can do penetrating damage to the machine. Also depending on the energy put into that melee weapon. I've been told that penetrating trauma is far worse than blunt trauma so I think the combat robot has a better chance at surviving the monks punches than someone's Venus Gospel or Ragnarok lol.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Depends on how you wield the weapon, but this all depends on a lot of stuff that almost no FF takes into account. Persona uses physical damage types, and so does ff11. It also depends on weapon weight of course. Heavy piercing weapons should have armor piercing capabilities, while something like a dagger probably shouldn't.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Depends on how you wield the weapon, but this all depends on a lot of stuff that almost no FF takes into account. Persona uses physical damage types, and so does ff11. It also depends on weapon weight of course. Heavy piercing weapons should have armor piercing capabilities, while something like a dagger probably shouldn't.
    Never forget about guns. They can do the most penetrating damage. Especially if they're mid caliber weapons that are of armor piercing nature and have steel cores like the 7.62x54 usually used in the Mosin Nagant. And then you HMG calibers like the .50 cal, 14mm, and 20mm. But after that it'd be an anti tank rifle or a freaking cannon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    Never forget about guns. They can do the most penetrating damage. Especially if they're mid caliber weapons that are of armor piercing nature and have steel cores like the 7.62x54 usually used in the Mosin Nagant. And then you HMG calibers like the .50 cal, 14mm, and 20mm. But after that it'd be an anti tank rifle or a freaking cannon.
    I really don't want there to be a 'Call of Final Fantasy' crossover game. I'm happy with a simplified combat system!

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I really don't want there to be a 'Call of Final Fantasy' crossover game. I'm happy with a simplified combat system!
    Yeah I know. But Barrett has a gun, so does Vincent, King, Machinist, and Yuna in Gunner dress.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I didn't, I was just tired of typing on my cell phone so i cut my post short .

FF12 does guns well. They have lower damage than other weapons, but always ignore defence. Most of the time, their damage will be close to other weapons, but the higher defence the target has, the higher their relative power.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FF12 does guns well. They have lower damage than other weapons, but always ignore defence. Most of the time, their damage will be close to other weapons, but the higher defence the target has, the higher their relative power.
    I see. But from knowledge I think a gun would do a lot more damage than a sword, maybe even .22LR could f someone's day up. Even though I think in reality a Longsword or a Shortsword would mess you up worse than a .22LR. But I see your point there. So if you had a party of 3, would you take the Knight or the Monk? I do know monks are tanks, but they low defense but they make up for that in Highest HP.

I see. But from knowledge I think a gun would do a lot more damage than a sword, maybe even .22LR could f someone's day up. Even though I think in reality a Longsword or a Shortsword would mess you up worse than a .22LR. But I see your point there. So if you had a party of 3, would you take the Knight or the Monk? I do know monks are tanks, but they low defense but they make up for that in Highest HP.
    Or better yet I'd ask how about other physical classes like Dragoon, Knight, or Gunner vs the Monk in terms of raw power and damage they can deal and take?

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is why I think a Slash/Pierce/Bash system in RPG's not only adds a new element to gameplay but makes sense in the context of the universe.

That being said, I could imagine getting pretty smurfed up in a fight against a professional boxer, a wrestler, or martial artist.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    This is why I think a Slash/Pierce/Bash system in RPG's not only adds a new element to gameplay but makes sense in the context of the universe.

That being said, I could imagine getting pretty smurfed up in a fight against a professional boxer, a wrestler, or martial artist.
    And even MORE if all three of those have guns!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

All the monks were trained by Bruce Lee.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Is Tifa considered a monk? She sure is effective in getting attention.