Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How effective are Monks

Default How effective are Monks

I seriously wonder how they defeat enemies with just their hands and feet? Are they like causing a lot of internal bleeding from blows they're exchanging with ever they're fighting? I mean internal bleeding can definitely mess someone up. But I just wonder. What do you think?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Probably more effective than Bards killing things with the power of music or Dancers killing things with the power of, well, dance.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The power of interpretive dance though!

I should've said how do they exactly kill their opponent? I know the answer to that is with their entire body but I mean like how do the blows kill them? I know I said internal bleeding was probably a factor, but i'm sure there's others that comes around with blunt trauma injuries. I would've thought since most of the enemies saw it coming they'd have time to prepare for it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Strikes to the throat, temples and back of the head are pretty lethal, especially if you do it over and over again. There's a reason why the most damaging strikes are banned in all combat sports.

Also keep in mind that defeating an enemy doesn't require you to kill them right then an there. Breaking someone's spine is going to prevent them from doing much of anything. Enough pain can make an enemy unable to continue too, and then you're free to finish them off in any way you desire. Most monsters still breathe air, so you could just strangle them, or cut off blood supply to the brain.

You can't prepare for every strike. There is no muscle you can flex to avoid getting knocked out, for example. Repeated strikes to muscle tissue make the muscles cramp up, reducing mobility and therefore also ability to avoid attacks.
    Last edited by Mirage; 05-21-2015 at 09:46 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

If they can punch machines hard enough to destroy them I think that killing a living organism through blunt force trauma shouldn't be a problem.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

They can suplex trains.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    They can suplex trains.
    Attachment 64367

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Strikes to the throat, temples and back of the head are pretty lethal, especially if you do it over and over again. There's a reason why the most damaging strikes are banned in all combat sports.

Also keep in mind that defeating an enemy doesn't require you to kill them right then an there. Breaking someone's spine is going to prevent them from doing much of anything. Enough pain can make an enemy unable to continue too, and then you're free to finish them off in any way you desire. Most monsters still breathe air, so you could just strangle them, or cut off blood supply to the brain.

You can't prepare for every strike. There is no muscle you can flex to avoid getting knocked out, for example. Repeated strikes to muscle tissue make the muscles cramp up, reducing mobility and therefore also ability to avoid attacks.
    So what does Sabin or Tifa do to the enemy who's paralyzed? What they just strangle them or they just punch them so hard that their skull fragments and pierces their brain and they die? Sounds like a bad way for Kefka or Sephiroth to go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    I should've said how do they exactly kill their opponent? I know the answer to that is with their entire body but I mean like how do the blows kill them?
    Obviously they use the five-point palm exploding heart technique.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

So what does Sabin or Tifa do to the enemy who's paralyzed? What they just strangle them or they just punch them so hard that their skull fragments and pierces their brain and they die? Sounds like a bad way for Kefka or Sephiroth to go out.
    Well, sabin and tifa don't rely on blunt damage. Have you seen the things they have on their gloves?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Monk vs. Organic: Obvious enough. Break bones, damage internal organs, etc.
    Monk vs. Mechanical: Ever punched or kicked a TV? If you do it enough, you can probably do some good damage to a car, too.

And keep in mind they don't just do it a few times, most FF monks have to do it repeatedly before an enemy dies. Imagine if a professional boxer punched something about 50 times (many Monks attack multiple times per Attack command) in full attack mode and I imagine they could do serious damage to all kinds of things.

I don't think a monk defeating a tank is much more absurd than a guy with a sword defeating a tank, let alone a guy with a gun defeating a tank. At some point you have to just appreciate that these characters you are playing as are genuinely hyper-powered.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Monk vs. Mechanical: Ever punched or kicked a TV? If you do it enough, you can probably do some good damage to a car, too.
    I dread to think how many trips to the A & E consisted of people punching and/or kicking various appliances.

And keep in mind they don't just do it a few times, most FF monks have to do it repeatedly before an enemy dies. Imagine if a professional boxer punched something about 50 times (many Monks attack multiple times per Attack command) in full attack mode and I imagine they could do serious damage to all kinds of things.

I don't think a monk defeating a tank is much more absurd than a guy with a sword defeating a tank, let alone a guy with a gun defeating a tank. At some point you have to just appreciate that these characters you are playing as are genuinely hyper-powered.
    Yeah but I think this ties in with what Mirage said about the enemy just being paralyzed and if the way they kill them is a simple snap of the neck or them getting strangled, it could also be that they're just defeated. At the point where they're neutralized and can't fight anymore. I wonder what Fei Fong Wong does to the Hobgobs and Jackals that fight him? I wonder if he'd just beat them to death or beat them so bad that they weren't a threat anymore.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Punching a home electronic device is a bit different than punching a combat machine. It's not more absurd than doing it with a sword, but both are definitely very absurd. It'd be better if lots of machinery was just really resistant to blunt and slashing damage and only really took damage from explosives, piercing and magic instead. Then again, final fantasy never really cared much about physical damage types.