Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I played Symphonia, Vesperia, Phantasia and the Abyss. Symphonia has been my favourite by far. I did pick-up Zestiria during the Steam sale though and once I've finished off the side-quests in AC Syndicate, I'll be giving it a whirl.

I'm currently working up towards Zestiria. I've almost finished my Jude playthrough in Xillia and then I'll do Xillia 2. I don't like there being a new Tales game I haven't played. It makes me feel dirty.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Soft paw View Post
    Since we are on this topic, can you please enlighten me on those 2 series:
    - Tales
    - Atelier

I know they have plenty of games, heard bad things about them from a seller though.
    I really love to see how character stories develop in RPGs, that's why they caught my attention.

Also Ni no Kuni.
    If you have others in mind, worth the penny, please throw names
    All Tales games have completely separated stories and worlds, except those that are numbered sequels, such as Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2. You don't need to have played any other game in the series to enjoy any of the games, except those who have a "2" in their titles.

There are two somewhat separate teams within Bamco that make Tales games. As for the games themselves, they are a mixed bag. Some have really cheesy stories and two-dimensional characters, and some do not. In many of the games, the gameplay is the most interesting things. If you want a recommendation for one with a good story and decent characters, I would suggest Xillia.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

So I just finished my Jude playthrough of Xillia. Man I love Xillia, it is overall my favourite Tales game.

I wish these games had better soundtracks though. I know it's officially The Law that Sakuraba-san has to do the music to all these games plus Star Ocean, but I'm not exactly a fan. Vesperia and Xillia both have certain scenes that could have the impact of something from a Final Fantasy game if they just had a decent theme to go with it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sakuraba was a lot better before. He nails it pretty much all the time in VP and did pretty well in SO3 too.

There were some tracks in Tales of Zestiria that were totally reminiscent of his Shining Force 3 / Shining the Holy Ark days on Sega Saturn, and it gave me a huge nostalgia boner. Outside of that, I'll admit the majority of his tracks are just passable. Very rare anything grates or ruins a scene. But I do admit scenes could be better with more emotional music rather than just background music

I started playing Xillia 2 today and there was a piece of music relatively early that I really liked! Memorable melody, very scene appropriate... I Googled the composer as it was so much better than normal I assumed Sakuraba had a helper for this game. But nope, looks like it was just him so... well done to him. I found at least one properly good one.

Speaking of Xillia 2, it's a very interesting game! Whereas Xillia was relatively typical in terms of how the quest was set up, Xillia 2 has started out much more mysterious. I like the debt mechanic that forces me to balance paying off this debt with having the Gald I need for weapons and things. And the characters so far are all really interesting and well acted.

Except Ludger, who is a silent protagonist, and once again proving why silent protagonists are the worst thing since unsliced bread.

He already has an interesting relationship with his brother, with Elle, with Jude and with his cat, who is awesome. He's caught up in fascinating events and some kind of weird unexplained phenomenon is happening to him. And he doesn't have a damn thing to say about it except the occasional "Huh?" "Yeah." "Uuhhhgh!?!" I wouldn't go so far as to say it's ruining the game, but every single scene that Ludger features in (note - he's the point of view character so... most of them) suffers significantly.

I played and LOVED Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia (OMG, BEST, FANGIRL!). I am halfway through Xillia and I'm liking it so far, but that's more because I like Milla a lot.

Tales of Graces......oh man. I wanted to like it. I couldn't. I can't. It just can't be done. I think Pascal is one of the cutest things ever though.

Some Text Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I started playing Xillia 2 today and there was a piece of music relatively early that I really liked! Memorable melody, very scene appropriate... I Googled the composer as it was so much better than normal I assumed Sakuraba had a helper for this game. But nope, looks like it was just him so... well done to him. I found at least one properly good one.

Speaking of Xillia 2, it's a very interesting game! Whereas Xillia was relatively typical in terms of how the quest was set up, Xillia 2 has started out much more mysterious. I like the debt mechanic that forces me to balance paying off this debt with having the Gald I need for weapons and things. And the characters so far are all really interesting and well acted.

Except Ludger, who is a silent protagonist, and once again proving why silent protagonists are the worst thing since unsliced bread.

He already has an interesting relationship with his brother, with Elle, with Jude and with his cat, who is awesome. He's caught up in fascinating events and some kind of weird unexplained phenomenon is happening to him. And he doesn't have a damn thing to say about it except the occasional "Huh?" "Yeah." "Uuhhhgh!?!" I wouldn't go so far as to say it's ruining the game, but every single scene that Ludger features in (note - he's the point of view character so... most of them) suffers significantly.
    A bonus you get for beating the game is that New Game+ has Ludger voiced. Which is insane. The entire game, voiced by the main character, and barely anyone will get to experience. I'm not the type to play through a game twice, and when I do, it's years and years down the line. So next time, maybe, but good grief

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    A bonus you get for beating the game is that New Game+ has Ludger voiced. Which is insane. The entire game, voiced by the main character, and barely anyone will get to experience. I'm not the type to play through a game twice, and when I do, it's years and years down the line. So next time, maybe, but good grief
    u wot m8?!!?

[picard_facepalm.jpg]

Well now I just feel sad.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

he still doesn't say much interesting

it's mostly just "yeah" or "no".

Well the choices you're given are voiced by him but in all honesty it just sounds like an inner monologue debating the options. It has the same value and effect of you reading the choices in your own head.. It is sad. And hopefully the last time they do that. But the whole game was experimentation and most of the other quirky stuff came out good

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Well the choices you're given are voiced by him but in all honesty it just sounds like an inner monologue debating the options. It has the same value and effect of you reading the choices in your own head.. It is sad. And hopefully the last time they do that. But the whole game was experimentation and most of the other quirky stuff came out good
    Why didn't they have that as an option at the start?

I'm honestly not sure what their justification is and I doubt anything they argue for it would really hold water. Either homage to the silent protagonist or purposely a blank slate you can project onto. As someone else said he barely emotes anything until toward the end of the game when some serious choices need to start being made. I got the impression they intended it to just be a reward for beating the game. But I think everyone would have preferred it be available from the start of left out completely

Buuuump!

Hey I finally completed Xillia 2 recently. It was pretty good! Some nice plot elements, some very nice gameplay systems, some really cool characters. INCLUDING LUDGER which is the most annoying thing because he was mute. I was going through the entire story thinking "Wow, Ludger, this is some really interesting character development for you. This is a really cool situation you find yourself in that could potentially have a lot of emotional heft behind it. Shame all of it is wasted because you never say anything".

Still haven't started Zestiria, but I'll get on that very soon I think.

I have to finish it this year given how pumped I am for THIS ONE

Check out some battles! Linking from Xillia/Zestiria is gone but there's a character switching mechanic that reminds me of FFX.

Last edited by Fox; 06-17-2016 at 09:11 PM.