Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Tales Games

I was going to necro the old thread but it's about half a year old so I'll just make a new one!

I've played more and more of them and the more I play, the more impressed I am with the series! I have yet to find one I didn't really like. If Final Fantasy didn't have 2-3 of my favourite games ever, this would probably be my favourite game series.

I like the character interactions a lot. I like how each character interacts with one another, instead of everyone only speaking to the main 2 and not each other.

So which Tales games have you played? Which are your favourites?

I have played Tales of Xillia, Xillia 2, Symphonia, Vesperia, Legendia, Abyss, I'm currently playing Hearts R and I just picked up Garces f.

I want to try the older 2D ones but I'm scared of change

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I've played Symphonia, Graces F, Xillia and Xillia 2 in that order. I'm playing Vesperia right now actually, and I started playing Abyss in between Symphonia and Graces but I didn't get far. Maybe I should look into that again. I also have Symphonia 2 but I haven't started it yet.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

We own like all of them. But quit prematurely on Vesperia, Graces, and Abyss. Xillia and Xillia 2 kept us enthralled throughout though. I need Legendia though. And I played Symphonia on my own when it was new, and it was alright. I've dabbled into the others. Destiny was just okay. Really cookie-cutter. Haven't tried Phantasia or Destiny 2 / Eternia. Or whatever other PSP releases there were (Tales of the World and whatnot). But yeah. It's a pretty trustworthy series these days

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I liked Talespin.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I liked Talespin.
    frog.gif
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So far Tales of Hearts R is at least my second favourite Tales game, maybe first. I dunno, it's close

I'm enjoying Graces but not as much as most of the games in the series. It's still a good game, but not quite as good as most others I've played.

Little Cheria was adorable though, I love her hair and her boots

cheria.png

Pretty much same experience for me. Graces was nice, but it didn't strike many chords for some reason. It seemed like a cheap knock-off anime that was just going through the paces and checking things off the list. And they weren't done badly, just not a whole lot grabbed me. But yeah, baby Cheria was adorable

I have Hearts R but haven't actually played it. I've heard good things about it, but only in passing. I think you're the first person I know more realistically than just random comments on other websites. I'll have to put it closer to the front of my backburner list

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I've only played Abyss for the 3DS, but was happy with it. Some of the plot points were a little cliche, but all in all it was a pretty good game. Loved how it had all sorts of side stuff that you had to go an seek out, they weren't just handed to you to do, like some games have become in recent years.

I've played Destiny 2 (aka Eternia), Abyss, Symphonia and I'm about to start Hearts R.

It is a great series so far. Not a masterpiece of any kind but just a kind nice above average quality level that's quite consistent. The main problem I'm having is that since playing Abyss, I find it impossible to go back to fighting styles that don't have full 3D motion. Destiny 2 was a struggle for that reason, despite being a very pretty game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tales of Hearts R was magnificent, and I'm enjoying Graces more and more. Some of the voice acting is atrocious and they took a step back on some things, but it is getting better. At first I was concerned I wouldn't like ANY characters and now I like 4 of them a lot.

Also this is really silly but I absolutely hated Sophie's hair so I downloaded the DLC to get this hair:
    sophie.png

Million times happier

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

The Graces cast had to grow on me too, except for Pascal. I loved Pascal from her first scene. At first Huburt was my least favorite favorite, but grew to be second behind Pascal. I think it was his, "We should always give it our best. That wasn't it." Victory quote, so very deadpan. And his interactions with Pascal was the best. And I liked Sophie's hair. There's a couple of funny victory quotes revolving around them. Putting Pascal in her bathing suit ruins any serious moment. Especially since you can only get it like right before the final dungeon so it's pretty much serious at that point.

Abyss is my favorite though. Again because the cast. Especially Jade. Jade is the best character in the entire series. And Natalia is my go to character to play as. I've only other played Phantasia, Eternia, Symphonia, Legendia, and Hearts.

I have Xillia downloaded, I got a bundle with Graces, but I haven't played it yet.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've fully played Symphonia and Vesperia, and seen a couple of other ones played by a buddy of mine. I have the direct sequel to Symphonia (got it randomly as a gift), but I never bothered to play it because I heard it is very disappointing. This is a series I keep meaning on getting into more.

Interesting to see so much praise for Hearts R in this thread. I'm tempted to start it right now

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Hearts R is getting lots of praise. Was going to pick it up, then found out it's a vita game. Sad.

I got the VitaTV specifically for that game lol Haven't played it yet though. Also have the Danganranpa games and the 999 sequel

There was a DS translation that was almost complete. They stopped work on it to give the Vita game a chance (and also to avoid a cease and desist). I wonder if they'd secretly started working on it again, since they were all horribly disappointed in the quality of the Vita localization

I've been itching for some retro gaming love. And Hearts R certainly has that good old fashioned JRPG flair about it. Maybe I should finally pop it in and give it a whirl