Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Virtua Fighter

The boyfriend has Virtua Fighter 4 an I'm thinking of trying it out. How good is the series? Anyone else play these games?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's considered one of the best balanced and technical 3D fighter series, but it's not as popular as for example tekken. If your boyfriend's got it, i see no reason not to try it. VF5 is also on PS3 if you find it interesting enough to buy.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alrighty, I might see how I like this one and if I like it enough I'll try the newer one

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Actually, I think the very stripped down version of 5 is either very cheap, or free on PSN. You can buy a bundle that adds all the optional stuff along with the game, and that puts the total price at about the same as a regular full game.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm familiar with the first game which was one of the reasons to get a 32X at the time, but I never played any of the games.

Eh, Virtua Fighter is fun and all, but it's not very well fleshed out once you get past the technical fighting aspect. Which, arguably, should be all that matters. But obviously, for me, it is not. I prefer fighters with more interesting characters, and (God forbid), a little better plot

It's also very complex. It's one of the best games to train you how to play a fighting game, but good lord is it technical. It is not a "pick up and play" fighting game like ... I dunno, I think Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur are the best entry level games. So fun and button-masher friendly, and complex enough for seasoned veterans to not get creamed by random button presses. I'm not master level fighter, and I am not afraid of button mashers in those games. But you can still really do some crazy stuff by just mashing out combinations, so it makes newbies feel awesome and makes them want to play and learn more. The characters have more storied backgrounds, and more interesting personalities and whatnot. Virtua Fighter is just very dry in this regard

But by all means, give it a go. But its not easy, and doesn't have a lot of staying power. But still worth a glance

I suggest Soul Calibur 3, or Dead or Alive 4 :]

Articles
    Blog Entries

The characters and plot are literally nonexistent.

If you want a fighting game on realistic, technical, or precise combat mechanics based on actual martial arts you might enjoy it. For me? I can't get into it at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    The characters and plot are literally nonexistent.
    I played a game like that once. It was called Fighter Maker.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

It's a great game, and while some characters are difficult to use, it's not the case with them all.

No one has any clue what the plot is anymore, but I like the characters. I think VF4 was one of the first 3D fighters to offer customizable outfit bits for people who are into that. I don't mean complete alternative outfits, but individual clothing components you can mix and match.