Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Openings You Really Liked

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Final Fantasy VIII is still probably the best video game opening I've ever seen. I can't think of another one that had as much of a sheer wow factor combined with getting me absolutely hyped to play. This is all through the lens of playing it in 1999 mind you, but it holds up surprisingly well even today.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Final Fantasy IX, VIII, VII, and Earthbound.

IX felt magical, VIII I can't quite describe, but it was different, VII for the action and the whole slum segment and Earthbound for the humor and weirdness.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

half life 2

bioshock infinite

https://youtu.be/RmkSm1r-KWs?t=76

Let me ask you one question....

WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?

(SPOILER)Serious answer

Articles
    Blog Entries

The World Ends With You. It has a pretty good opening and a great opening music sequence that gives you just enough to not be completely confused, yet still leaving you with many unanswered questions. Then again, everything about that game for me is great, so.

Okay I got another choice if we include "Opening" to also mean the opening part of the gameplay and stuff.

Heavy Rain
    The bright, cheerful normalcy of Ethan Mars' life, followed by his son getting killed, and then flashing forward to the bleak, miserable wreck his life (and the world) has become, was fantastic storytelling.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Okay I got another choice if we include "Opening" to also mean the opening part of the gameplay and stuff.

Heavy Rain
    The bright, cheerful normalcy of Ethan Mars' life, followed by his son getting killed, and then flashing forward to the bleak, miserable wreck his life (and the world) has become, was fantastic storytelling.
    Completely agree. Even though they only had three chapters to illustrate this, they did so perfectly. I really felt for him.

Here are some of my favourites, in no particular order.

Mass Effect 2.
    Your ship blows up and you die. And that's only the beginning.

Bayonetta.
    You're in a gravity-defying fight against angels on a giant clock face which is falling down an endless cliff. And things get even cooler from then on, believe it or not.

Half-Life 2.
    You're thrown feet first into an immediately unsettling dystopian world by a mysterious figure with unknown power who is using you as a pawn for his own ends.

Halo 2.
    You got a glimpse into the society of the Covenant: for the first time, they were more than just an ill-defined bunch of alien bad guys who spoke a language you couldn't understand. The contrast drawn between the treatment of the defeated Elite who would later become the Arbiter and the triumphant Master Chief was interesting too.

Tomb Raider: Underworld
    An explosive opening which seems to end in tragedy. You then flashback to a couple of weeks earlier, knowing that what your doing now somehow leads up to one of your best friends shooting at you. Very foreboding.

Really, I think any FF game has a great opening. Even the PS1 remakes/re-releases of NES and SNES games have some really cool CG introduction scenes that get you all pumped up.

MegaMan Legends 2. The first game was quite cinematic for it's time (it came out before PS1 had analog control). The second game was a huge improvement with their cutscenes. And the 10 minute intro had just enough character development, plot foreshadowing, and a mysterious atmosphere that left me wanting more!... And then you reach the beautiful snowy town of Yosyonke City with dreamy music. I got this game for Christmas so the atmosphere during the game's opening parts was perfect for a first time playthrough!

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. As much a I love this series, I admit the openings don't always leave a lasting impression. But this game gave us an intense backstory told by creepy cave drawings, and backing this up was a heart-stomping orchestrated score. Afterwards, you get a first glimpse of The Imprisoned before the player realized he actually looks quite silly.
    Last edited by Electroshock Therapy; 06-02-2015 at 03:43 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I seem to recall that FFXII had a really good opening. One of the few things I liked about that game.

Also, FFX.

Final Fantasy is really good about this in general.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Whenever I open a game by tearing the plastic wrap off and taking the store stickers off.