12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fei Fong Wong

8 66.67%
  • Cloud Strife

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fei Fong Wong vs Cloud Strife

Default Fei Fong Wong vs Cloud Strife

Considering FFVII and Xenogears came out close to the same time, with only a year between them and both being great games. Which character did you like better and why? Who had the better personality and better backstory? If they got in a fight who'd be the one winning?

I personally like Cloud better in terms of backstory but I liked Fei Fong Wong better in personality and skill since he can straight up own someone in a hand to hand fight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked Cloud a lot, but really, Fei wins on all fronts. I don't see how Cloud's backstory is more interesting than a guy who's the only actual human on earth, reincarnated for 10,000 years, has three of him running around in the present, one of whom possesses his dad

Fei wins this by a landslide. Depth, development, characterization etc. Cloud doesn't even compare.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fei Fong Wong wins this. He has a more engaging story, better plot twists, significantly better character growth, and cooler abilities. He would also bitch slap Cloud in a fight, seeing how he is a literal Physical God.

bivDaQR.jpg

Blog Entries

I got stuck in Xenogears and gave up

Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't feel Fei's personality shine through the game at all. Something about the writing and localization made all the characters pretty aloof to me. He's also too much of a superman cop out. I can't really sympathize with him outside of looking for his lost love through the ages.

FFVII's story is much more cohesive and "finished," so I get a better handle on who Cloud was and how his story played out. The mini dialogue choices littered throughout the story strengthened my personal connection with him. I also liked how he often conflicted with his party members, whereas in Xenogears it just felt like everyone was more or less along for the ride, further diminishing how little of the characters' personalities actually came out. Cloud's vulnerability also makes him much more interesting than the all-powerful Fei. A recurring question is whether or not Cloud is really capable for the task ahead, which makes it all the more awesome that he originally bested Sephiroth by virtue of his own will, before the Jenova experiments on him took place.

No poll?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Neither Neither really gabbed me and I didn't like either. Though if I had to pick, I'd say Cloud because while I didn't like him, I didn't find him off-putting like Fei

As far as story though, Fei has the better one

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I didn't feel Fei's personality shine through the game at all. Something about the writing and localization made all the characters pretty aloof to me. He's also too much of a superman cop out. I can't really sympathize with him outside of looking for his lost love through the ages.

FFVII's story is much more cohesive and "finished," so I get a better handle on who Cloud was and how his story played out. The mini dialogue choices littered throughout the story strengthened my personal connection with him. I also liked how he often conflicted with his party members, whereas in Xenogears it just felt like everyone was more or less along for the ride, further diminishing how little of the characters' personalities actually came out. Cloud's vulnerability also makes him much more interesting than the all-powerful Fei. A recurring question is whether or not Cloud is really capable for the task ahead, which makes it all the more awesome that he originally bested Sephiroth by virtue of his own will, before the Jenova experiments on him took place.

No poll?
    Good idea. I should make a poll. Also what do you mean by Superman cop out?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just that it's hard for me to connect with an all-powerful character who has been alive for all the ages and literally designed to be a savior.

But how would I turn this into a poll?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I added the poll for you.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

You can't add the poll after the thread has been established, so I was just doin' a favour!

Also Fei.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    You can't add the poll after the thread has been established, so I was just doin' a favour!

Also Fei.
    Damn even more cold. Cloud's getting owned over here.