Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 Free Upgrade?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I know some people messing around with the pre-release and say it's great. Just don't make it your only OS on your primary PC.

Upgrading to Windows 10 is non-negotiable for any PC gamer, as you'll need it for DirectX 12. It's going to bring monumental performance gains on so many fronts it's not even funny.
    For new games with new video cards, sure.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone found a way to use dx12 on win8 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    4 is unlucky in Japan because their word for 4 is the same as their word for death.

IDK about 9.

I think they skipped 9, because they already did one after 8 (calling it 8.1 aka 8.lame) so that would've been the "9th" one. I also think they went w/ 10, so the upgrade for 10 will be Windows 10-2. Basically, that'll be Windows 10 w/ more fanservice.
    What's lame about 8.1?
    There's something called minor and major versions
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know a lot about it as of yet. My interest is piqued because I want to play Final Fantasy Agito when it comes west.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    4 is unlucky in Japan because their word for 4 is the same as their word for death.

IDK about 9.

I think they skipped 9, because they already did one after 8 (calling it 8.1 aka 8.lame) so that would've been the "9th" one. I also think they went w/ 10, so the upgrade for 10 will be Windows 10-2. Basically, that'll be Windows 10 w/ more fanservice.
    What's lame about 8.1?
    There's something called minor and major versions
    Eh, I'm just not a big fan of it.

Every other Windows OS has been good, the others have been bad.

XP? Good.
    Vista? Bad.
    7? Good.
    8? Bad.

9 Was suppose to be a good one, but Microsoft decided we shouldn't have nice things, so they skipped it.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    wtf happened to 9?
    There's a shady claim by alledged Microsoft employees, wink wink (Microsoft has not officially confirmed it) that they skipped it for coding reasons, because of how most versions of windows were programmed to check for previous versions of windows starting with "9", such as 95 and 98.

There's also a really silly theory that it's because the number 9 is considered extremely unlucky in Japan.

Or maybe Microsoft just felt "Windows 10" would be more marketable? Who knows. It's not like they've been following any coherent numbering system since 3.1. Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1. Yeah. Not much rhyme or reason to it.

I've already signed up because unfortunately PC gaming is being forced to Windows 10 since DX12 won't be available for anything earlier. Here's hoping it's not broken or riddled with compatibly issues like Windows Vista and Windows 8 were when they came out.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

I just figured it was because they had to release 8.1 which they intended to be 9 but everyone had a hissy fit about 8.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Actually there is a thing in Japan about '9'. Nine is pronounced "ku" which is a homophone for agony/torture...So it is viewed as unlucky.

Unrelated note, I know...

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I reserved my copy of it because, worst comes to worst, I have a retail version of 7 that can be used to downgrade if it turns out to be crappy. And the vast majority of the reviews that have been coming out say that 10 is actually a decent version of Windows. That is surprisingly optimistic, as far as windows reviews generally go.

The only concern is if it is going to be a strait upgrade. In that I mean, I run win7 professional, so hopefully the upgrade will be to the professional equivalent. They don't make that very clear in their reservation blurb, and I've been too lazy to look it up any further.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well if you really want to get technical, they didn't skip just 9, they skipped "7" and "8" too. I think they decided to call this one 10 so we could all understand that they wanna make this one a big deal. And it is!

Also be aware that if you have a Windows 7 computer or 8.X and decide to upgrade, you are going to miss out on some (trivial) features that people who get a vanilla Win10 computer will have. I would do more research when it's actually released to confirm everything before switching. But I think the biggest one that struck me was that you might not being able to turn off those smurfing automatic updates* if you upgraded your computer, versus buying it brand new.

My use of smurfing here is attached to the word "automatic," and not the updates themselves.

Edit
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    wtf happened to 9?
    There's a shady claim by alledged Microsoft employees, wink wink (Microsoft has not officially confirmed it) that they skipped it for coding reasons, because of how most versions of windows were programmed to check for previous versions of windows starting with "9", such as 95 and 98.
    This might be true.

Or maybe Microsoft just felt "Windows 10" would be more marketable? Who knows. It's not like they've been following any coherent numbering system since 3.1. Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1. Yeah. Not much rhyme or reason to it.
    They actually have been following a coherent numbering system. As a run of the mill consumer though, you just don't know about it!
    placeholder_text.jpeg