View Poll Results: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 44.83%
  • No

16 55.17%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    No, Mr. Angus. With the greatest respect, you are wrong. A hot dog is a sausage in a bun. End of. Is it a sandwich though?
    No, it is a regional thing. In the US hot dogs refer only to frankfurters. Other places have different definitions for the term. I didn't know that myself until I looked it up.
    If a hot dog is a frankfurter then does that mean that a hot dog officially doesn't have to have a bun?

I'm just trying to follow your logic here; is a 'hot dog' a particular kind of sausage or is it a sausage in a bun? It would seem like you're trying to say a hot dog is a particular sausage placed in a bun in which case I don't think you should be able to call a frankfurter a hot dog if it is by itself (bunless).

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I think he's saying what makes it a hot dog is taking that particular sausage, the frankfurter, and putting it in a bun.

I like a good all beef hotdog personally. My favorite sausage is probably the German knackwurst. The pink ones over the white ones. So basically a frankfurter on steroids (and probably growth hormones.......and other stuff).

I like mine with all kinds of stuff. Chilli, cheese, jalapenos, pickles, ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, on and on.

Not at one time, but just as options. I think it's silly that ketchup on hotdogs is considered so terrible in Chicago.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It wasn't until I finished reading this thread that I noticed that I was eating a hot dog while reading a thread about hot dogs.

Anyway, I would not call a hot dog a sandwich. Firstly because if you're going for technicalities, it's a single piece of bread and a sandwich requires two pieces of bread. Secondly, if you're not going for technicalities then why the hell would you want to call a hot dog a sandwich you're weird.

I like ketchup and grated cheese on my hot dogs. And that mustard that isn't actual mustard is okay, but only in very small amounts.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It wasn't until I finished reading this thread that I noticed that I was eating a hot dog while reading a thread about hot dogs.

Anyway, I would not call a hot dog a sandwich. Firstly because if you're going for technicalities, it's a single piece of bread and a sandwich requires two pieces of bread. Secondly, if you're not going for technicalities then why the hell would you want to call a hot dog a sandwich you're weird.

I like ketchup and grated cheese on my hot dogs. And that mustard that isn't actual mustard is okay, but only in very small amounts.
    This has already been covered. The sub sandwich is largely considered a sandwich. It's one piece of bread. So are gyros, and perhaps wraps. One piece of bread.

I submit for exhibit B, the open-faced sandwich. Traditionally served on a single piece of sandwich bread with toppings. Yet still in the sandwich family.

It could be argued the hotdog is an open-faced sandwich.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

A piece and sausage or a roll and sausage (hello regional terminology what are you doing here) are distinct things from a hot dog, despite them all being sausage with bread - so I would be less inclined to call it a sandwich, while I might call the first two a sandwich.

A hot dog has connotations in my head. Perhaps the type of sausage is what assigns the title? Regular links sausage in a finger roll still isn't a hot dog despite it being the exact same.

Ponderous.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    This has already been covered. The sub sandwich is largely considered a sandwich. It's one piece of bread. So are gyros, and perhaps wraps. One piece of bread.
    If you ask for a sandwich and you get a hot dog or a wrap, you know you're not getting what you asked for. Everyone calls them hot dogs, not sandwiches, for a reason. I'm pretty sure this falls in line with "largely considered" things. I do not know of anyone who calls a hot dog a sandwich, nor a wrap.
    I submit for exhibit B, the open-faced sandwich. Traditionally served on a single piece of sandwich bread with toppings. Yet still in the sandwich family.
    I can link you to a lot of things that, by name, are in a [word] family but are actually not a [same word]. A hot dog, for example, is not actually a dog despite it having dog in the name. A sandwich by technicality and definition involves two pieces of bread. Wikipedia gets trumped by the almighty powers of the dictionary.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I actually want to commit murder when this kind of conversation happens.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I actually want to commit murder when this kind of conversation happens.
    I agree. Remind me who started this conversation so we can start a angry townsfolk style march on their house, complete with pitchforks and burning torches.

Looking back on my contributions to this thread, my only conclusion is that I got swept up in the heat of the moment.

Really, I don't care whether hot dogs are sandwiches.

If you want to call them sandwiches, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Is it worth arguing about?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Is it worth arguing about?
    Yup!

I need to clarify with everyone on this thread who said that a hot dog isn't a sandwich because it isn't on two separate pieces of bread.

What would you class this as?

ham-cheese-roll-9461461.jpg

The bread has not been entirely separated so according to YOU this can not be classified as a sandwich.

Also, the name sandwich indicates that something is sandwiched in between two things. Hot dogs are sandwiched by two sides of bread... the bread just so happens to be joined at the bottom.

A hot dog is a sandwich.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I call that a ham & salad roll

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

A wee cheeky roll.

Blog Entries

A submarine where the bread has not been divided into two is widely considered a sandwhich but that does not make it so much like how pluto is not a planet.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 06-05-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I call that a ham & salad roll
    OG bob fans the flames of war more by adding "salad" to the fray!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a Subway Sandwich, yes? It is one joined piece of bread, yes?

images.jpg

Turn the bread 90 degrees then place a long sausage in it... TADA!! You now have a hot dog sandwich!