View Poll Results: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 44.83%
  • No

16 55.17%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I draw your attention to the poll.

We have spoken and... it is a sandwich.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    This has already been covered. The sub sandwich is largely considered a sandwich. It's one piece of bread. So are gyros, and perhaps wraps. One piece of bread.
    If you ask for a sandwich and you get a hot dog or a wrap, you know you're not getting what you asked for. Everyone calls them hot dogs, not sandwiches, for a reason. I'm pretty sure this falls in line with "largely considered" things. I do not know of anyone who calls a hot dog a sandwich, nor a wrap.
    I submit for exhibit B, the open-faced sandwich. Traditionally served on a single piece of sandwich bread with toppings. Yet still in the sandwich family.
    I can link you to a lot of things that, by name, are in a [word] family but are actually not a [same word]. A hot dog, for example, is not actually a dog despite it having dog in the name. A sandwich by technicality and definition involves two pieces of bread. Wikipedia gets trumped by the almighty powers of the dictionary.
    From Merriam-Webster, my friend.

Full Definition of SANDWICH
    a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
    b : one slice of bread covered with food

So that clearly covers split rolls (hot dogs, subs, pita pockets), and open-faced sandwiches.

I would argue that a hot dog is not a sandwich, but not due to the fact that a sandwich typically consists of two pieces of bread. I posit that it is not a sandwich for this reason: if I cut into a sandwich and look at what's inside, I will see a cross-section which is roughly rectangular. This is an important, innate quality of the sandwich, and the reason why the hot-dog, with its circular cross section, fails the sandwich test.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

A chicken sandwich (served on a burger bun) does not cut into a rectangular cross-section. It would be dome shaped. Neither would a sub sandwich. Neither would a burger for that matter, and a burger falls into the sandwich family.

EDIT: For the record, this is just a fun debate for me. I hope no one is getting butt hurt or anything.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I actually want to commit murder when this kind of conversation happens.
    I agree. Remind me who started this conversation so we can start a angry townsfolk style march on their house, complete with pitchforks and burning torches.
    >_>

/slinks away
    /is shot by a sniper

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd like to point out that this IS serious for me and people need to realise the error of their ways.

SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET, DAMMIT!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly I just don't think of it as a sandwich. When I go out to eat and I want a hot dog, I never check the menu under sandwiches to see what kind they have. So there you go

Articles
    Blog Entries

hey guys guys, here's something crazy to think about: is it possible that it could be both a sandwich AND​ a hot dog?

Articles

hey guys guys, here's something crazy to think about: is it possible that it could be both a sandwich AND​ a hot dog?
    Yes, for the same reason that a burger is also classified as a sandwich (which someone mentioned above), but is referred to as a burger.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This is the point I have been trying to make.

It's just the people that think it is a hot dog NOT a sandwich that make this a terrible world to live in.

Hot dogs are delicious especially street meat at 2 am after the bar closes and/or juicy jumbos (wink).

ketchup and mustard only you heathens.

Not a sandwich.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whatever Lonny BoB thinks, the opposite of that.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

NAIL THIS GUY TO A CROSS THERE IS NO SUCH POSSIBILITY

A chicken sandwich (served on a burger bun) does not cut into a rectangular cross-section. It would be dome shaped. Neither would a sub sandwich. Neither would a burger for that matter, and a burger falls into the sandwich family
    Oh come on, I'm not including the bread. I'm only talking about the meat and toppings. Obviously if you use a piece of bread which is rounded the overall cross section won't be rectangular, but the meat will be approximately.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, a hotdog is not a sandwich. It's a hotdog. If you eat a sausage biscuit, is that a sandwich? Nope. It's a sausage biscuit. These things have qualities which make them stand-out from their sandwich brethren and require specific acknowledgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    is a taco a sandwich
    ASKING THE TOUGH QUESTIONS. Seriously. If a hotdog is a sandwich then a taco is a sandwich. But neither are sandwiches because they have unique properties. Like being hotdogs. Or being tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It wasn't until I finished reading this thread that I noticed that I was eating a hot dog while reading a thread about hot dogs.

Anyway, I would not call a hot dog a sandwich. Firstly because if you're going for technicalities, it's a single piece of bread and a sandwich requires two pieces of bread. Secondly, if you're not going for technicalities then why the hell would you want to call a hot dog a sandwich you're weird.

I like ketchup and grated cheese on my hot dogs. And that mustard that isn't actual mustard is okay, but only in very small amounts.
    This has already been covered. The sub sandwich is largely considered a sandwich. It's one piece of bread. So are gyros, and perhaps wraps. One piece of bread.

I submit for exhibit B, the open-faced sandwich. Traditionally served on a single piece of sandwich bread with toppings. Yet still in the sandwich family.

It could be argued the hotdog is an open-faced sandwich.
    You're a crazy person. A hotdog is not open faced!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I draw your attention to the poll.

We have spoken and... it is a sandwich.
    (SPOILER)at the time of posting, I tied the poll up. muahaha

Signature by rubah. I think.