View Poll Results: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 44.83%
  • No

16 55.17%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    No, a hotdog is not a sandwich. It's a hotdog. If you eat a sausage biscuit, is that a sandwich? Nope. It's a sausage biscuit. These things have qualities which make them stand-out from their sandwich brethren and require specific acknowledgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    is a taco a sandwich
    ASKING THE TOUGH QUESTIONS. Seriously. If a hotdog is a sandwich then a taco is a sandwich. But neither are sandwiches because they have unique properties. Like being hotdogs. Or being tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It wasn't until I finished reading this thread that I noticed that I was eating a hot dog while reading a thread about hot dogs.

Anyway, I would not call a hot dog a sandwich. Firstly because if you're going for technicalities, it's a single piece of bread and a sandwich requires two pieces of bread. Secondly, if you're not going for technicalities then why the hell would you want to call a hot dog a sandwich you're weird.

I like ketchup and grated cheese on my hot dogs. And that mustard that isn't actual mustard is okay, but only in very small amounts.
    This has already been covered. The sub sandwich is largely considered a sandwich. It's one piece of bread. So are gyros, and perhaps wraps. One piece of bread.

I submit for exhibit B, the open-faced sandwich. Traditionally served on a single piece of sandwich bread with toppings. Yet still in the sandwich family.

It could be argued the hotdog is an open-faced sandwich.
    You're a crazy person. A hotdog is not open faced!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I draw your attention to the poll.

We have spoken and... it is a sandwich.
    (SPOILER)at the time of posting, I tied the poll up. muahaha
    The hotdog is either open faced, or a roll. I already stated that culturally, or spiritually, or whatever we obviously view them as a little different. A sausage biscuit also falls into that category. "Different in our minds, but technically in the same family."

By technical definition, they still fall into the sandwich category.

Full Definition of SANDWICH
    a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
    b : one slice of bread covered with food

Also, I went ahead and broke that tie for ya.

Articles

I'll acknowledge this debate is a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

How would you describe the bread itself? Would you say "oh yeah, I must pick up some hot dog buns for that slamming barbecue party next week" or would you say hot dog rolls?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    A chicken sandwich (served on a burger bun) does not cut into a rectangular cross-section. It would be dome shaped. Neither would a sub sandwich. Neither would a burger for that matter, and a burger falls into the sandwich family
    Oh come on, I'm not including the bread. I'm only talking about the meat and toppings. Obviously if you use a piece of bread which is rounded the overall cross section won't be rectangular, but the meat will be approximately.
    A) The rectangular cross-section of the ingredients inside a sandwich without including the bread, something that every seems to feel is an integral aspect to the sandwich, seems incredibly strange. It's the first time I've heard this argued as a defining characteristic of a sandwich. I don't think it's a very good one. Because

B) There are plenty of sandwiches that wouldn't have a rectangular cross-section when only focused on ingredients. And

C) There are some sandwiches (subs) that without the bread, their ingredients would have a roughly rectangular cross-section.

D) It doesn't seem to fall into any other person's definition.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 06-10-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    How would you describe the bread itself? Would you say "oh yeah, I must pick up some hot dog buns for that slamming barbecue party next week" or would you say hot dog rolls?
    I use buns. For sub sandwiches, I would use rolls. I really don't know what the difference is.

I should say, since we're on the topic of buns/rolls, I really do loath hot dog buns. My smurfing god, can't they learn to cut the damn things? The bottom portion is usually cut so damn thin, @ time, it's not even cut straight. No wonder they're verboten in Discordianism.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I use buns. For sub sandwiches, I would use rolls. I really don't know what the difference is.

I should say, since we're on the topic of buns/rolls, I really do loath hot dog buns. My smurfing god, can't they learn to cut the damn things? The bottom portion is usually cut so damn thin, @ time, it's not even cut straight. No wonder they're verboten in Discordianism.
    The worst part when they're cut thin is that they end up snapping in half. Ugh, if you've already put the sauce on top it can get messy very quickly. Also, the quality of the bread varies as well. Some hot dog buns can taste too sweet. It's also bad when they're too big. Sometimes you're eating like, 75% bread.

Look guys, this is really simple.

It it's stuff between two slices of bread, that came from a loaf of bread, it's a sandwich.

If it's not that, it's not.

A hot dog is not a sandwich. A hamburger is not a sandwich. A taco is not a sandwich. A calzone is not a sandwich. One slice of pizza upside down on top of another slice of pizza is not a sandwich.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

So if I make a enormous hamburger but replace the buns with two slices of bread, it ceases to be a hamburger and becomes something completely different! What if I replace only one bun with a slice of bread? What then???! Is it a sandburger?!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

How this thread is making me feel:

Articles
    Blog Entries

I-it can finally be said.

EoFF is very passionate about wieners.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I-it can finally be said.

EoFF is very passionate about wieners.
    Wieners are very important. Your point?

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

The fact that this thread is still going strong surprises me...

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post

It it's stuff between two slices of bread, that came from a loaf of bread, it's a sandwich.

A hot dog is not a sandwich. A hamburger is not a sandwich. A taco is not a sandwich. A calzone is not a sandwich. One slice of pizza upside down on top of another slice of pizza is not a sandwich.
    How is it that a calzone is not a sandwich when a Monte Cristo is essentially the same thing and IS considered a sandwich?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A calzone could be considered a hot sandwich maybe. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post

How is it that a calzone is not a sandwich when a Monte Cristo is essentially the same thing and IS considered a sandwich?
    ...you must have a very different definition of "Monte Cristo" than I do.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!