Thread: Welcome Back, Commander - XCOM 2

Default Welcome Back, Commander - XCOM 2

It's canon. We lost the fight in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The sequel takes place 20 years after the unconditional surrender of human forces to the alien threat, and after the aliens have enforced their iron fisted rule over humanity. On the fringe outskirts, beyond the cities, a handful of renegades have organized to fight back, dusting off the old title of humanity's defenders. XCOM is back.

The trailer shows that Snakemen have finally returned, and that standard units can apparently use melee attacks. Other interesting news we've gotten is an announced fifth class, confirmation of more customization (including being able to choose gender and nationality), the ability to surprise aliens and hit them before they scurry to cover, and probably more that I've missed.

Official Website
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

It was a fantastic strategy game. I just wish there was more to it than just battles, like all the JSRPGs out there. I know its not meant to be an RPG of any kind, but that's a separate debate. I, like always, wish there was more to do in down time between battles. And I deeply hope they throw something like that in here. Let me explore places to find tech, rather than just grabbing it off the battlefield and giving it to a science officer before going on to the next battlefield

But I'll forgive them if its just more of the same. Because it's still good. It'll just make it another game that I enjoy but probably won't beat. Too much burn-out on consecutive battles. I need my pacing. But I love my XCOM. That last game may not have invented the type of strategy it used that spread over to Shadowrun Returns and Divinity: Original Sin, but it sure helped inspire them to use it and I loved them for it

Yeah, I heard about this announcement, and I was checking out the content on their website when I ran into this video with some of the devs discussing the trailer and thought it might be interesting to share:

I'll probably have more to say after listening to this.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Sweeeeeeet. I'm more excited for this than Fallout 4.

Also, smurf those guys. We didn't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Well, in the timeline where we won, there are no aliens left to fight, so the game wasn't as interesting.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The canon isn't that we lost, it's that this is the sequel to the first time we played on Impossible/Ironman and all those other times we lost or gave up on a campaign.

Also I'm way more hype than I should be but god DAMN this is gonna be good, procedural maps, mod support, setting up ambushes, SNEKTITS, SIGHING AS YOU DRAW YOUR FUTURE KATANA, HUGE FLYING BASE CALLED THE AVENGER, GET HYPE

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Well, in the timeline where we won, there are no aliens left to fight, so the game wasn't as interesting.
    I thought they just attempted a second invasion from the sea.

The 3rd Street Saints (FYI the best possible theme for an XCOM team) will just have to return yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    The 3rd Street Saints (FYI the best possible theme for an XCOM team) will just have to return yet again.
    I would buy day one for this cross over. I would pay double for this cross over lol