Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Active Time Report 6.0 Stella's Fate Revealed!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    But at the end of the day people are allowed to buy or not buy this game for whatever reason they want to and they're also allowed to be excited or disappointed about the changes being made.
    Well that's been my point all along. If someone makes a bunch of posts about how they won't buy this game because they don't like characters whose names begin with Q then that's their right. But then I'm absolutely going to ask why and point out that we don't even have all the information as to who the characters even are yet and we don't even know they're going to have names beginning with Q!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    In the case of this game, they've really been trying to sell that it's a bro-fest. It's not just there's no playable female characters (although that does make me less inclined to go out of my way to play it), it's that they're really pushing that it's a game about a boy's club and that just doesn't appeal to me at all.
    Having played through the primary marketing material for this game, Episode Duscae, it really does not come across as a boys' club or brofest to me. They're men and they're friends, but there's no stereotypical dudebro stuff like chugging beer, sport, MMM LETS PICK UP CHICKS etc. I think the worst thing was one of them calling another a princess in a teasing way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, Psychotic, Quina has a Q name and Quina is awesome, so I will miss the entirety of your post because you used the Q example. Maybe you should think about that next time.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Well, Psychotic, Quina has a Q name and Quina is awesome, so I will miss the entirety of your post because you used the Q example. Maybe you should think about that next time.
    But that was my point! Q names are awesome!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    In the case of this game, they've really been trying to sell that it's a bro-fest. It's not just there's no playable female characters (although that does make me less inclined to go out of my way to play it), it's that they're really pushing that it's a game about a boy's club and that just doesn't appeal to me at all.
    Having played through the primary marketing material for this game, Episode Duscae, it really does not come across as a boys' club or brofest to me. They're men and they're friends, but there's no stereotypical dudebro stuff like chugging beer, sport, MMM LETS PICK UP CHICKS etc. I think the worst thing was one of them calling another a princess in a teasing way.
    Fair enough, but in that regards, I'd blame the marketing team. I'm only going by what I've seen, not what I've played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The marketing team didn't say much on the matter, to be honest, they were just answering a question about why there were no playable girls and the media did the rest of the work. Just the way things go sometimes.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm talking about the people who made the game trailers.

It's all about first impressions. It seems Stella had a better first impression

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Basically, what Psychotic said! Like all of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    It's all about first impressions. It seems Stella had a better first impression
    I'm still pretty young but in all my life I've never seen anything good or fruitful come out of making judgements from only first impressions in real life, video games, alternate dimensions, whatever the smurf, etc.

I really don't think they're gonna drop the ball with Luna, you guys (and girls ) so let's just pour some Promethazine into our collective Grammies, sit back, and let Hajime Tabata deal with making Luna a badass female character, so we can finally discuss other equally important things, like...why does everyone in this game have a stupid name? Or what that artwork of Regis holding a young Noctics could mean? Is Regis one of the Knights of the Round? Is Noctics himself a summon? Why did the chicken cross the road? Why isn't it the same chicken from the first time the joke was told hundreds of years ago?
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Articles
    Blog Entries

Count the number of games in the last couple of years where you can play as a male lead.
    Now count the number of games where you can play as a female lead.
    Now count the number of those games with a female lead where the female in question was written for a female demographic.

And when you notice the gap you'll understand what the problem is which far exceeds that of Final Fantasy XV or any one title in particular. The fact of the matter is there are more options for the men when it comes to playing video games than there are for the women. The annoying part comes in when women still have to put up a fuss just to get a playable character of their own sex. Not speaking for anyone in this thread, just looking at the big picture. If women want to play games they either have to be a man or go without. As oppose to the man who always has the option to play the man even if they occasionally like to be someone with tits.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is why my favorite games so far has been games where you can change the protagonist. Games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Do you want to play as a male or a female? The choice is there! Really at this point it'd be quite something to have the option to play as a non-binary character, or a transgender character. But you know, small steps. Most games can't even get male/female right

Articles

Saints Row 2 did it best because gender was on a slider.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think what I and some other people have a hard time understanding is how much of a deal-breaker it is to not have any female playable characters, or whatever the issue is now (or maybe a culmination of issues.)

There are other games that are way more saturated with testosterone, and beer, and are actually misogynistic on purpose (Grand Theft Auto is a great example!) that I would think deserve a bigger outcry than Final Fantasy XV. I'd hate to think people would just absolutely tighten up their jackets and cringe away from one entry of a franchise that we've been waiting on for what feels like 82 years. The problem is obviously bigger than this game but it seems like it's been receiving the side-eye and especially more so after the Cidney thing. Which, the outcry was understandable then, and still is now. The Cidney thing. And I appreciate those with with the unpopular opinions making a fuss about it, but the whole Stella thing and all-boys party tantrums, in a game that explains why there's an all-boys party, just bewilders me.

And also, me being a black man I could complain about the lack of non-stereotypical black characters in FF. Other than Viera from Ivalice, I think we have Sazh and Barrett who are essentially the joke characters of their respective casts lmao. I could turn away from FFXV because of that but I think I would be missing out on too much of the good this game has to offer.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not turning away on principle. I'm turning away because the story no longer interests me. You don't understand it, you just have to accept it. What I don't understand why it's such an issue to some of you that people aren't interested in something simply because of what it does or does not have. People have different interests and tastes and likes and dislikes. Deal with it.

Articles

Yeah, the Cindy thing is, to my mind and I appreciate everyone's standards vary, entirely worse than having the party be all male. You may well have to have played the demo to have my perspective (go watch my LP of it on the EoFF channel if you haven't! shameless plug ahoy!) The main team seem like an interesting and neat group, and it's a shame people feel that way about them without giving them a chance. Cindy, on the other hand, is gratuitous, awkward and cringeworthy. I don't feel strongly enough about her for it to be a dealbreaker, but I'd completely understand why it would be for some people.
    People have different interests and tastes and likes and dislikes. Deal with it.
    And I'm interested in discussing those tastes with people on the internet when they post about them in an internet discussion. You deal with it!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Okay that's the first time I've heard someone just not being interested in the story which is just as cool and awesome as any other reason. It's a good reason to not play Final Fantasy XV, but I will not just "deal with it" for the other reasons stated in the thread, because it's a discussion board, and I'm actually generally interested on why, if any, of the other aspects of this game irks you. Not you specifically of course!

I'm interested in the female opinions on here because I grew up surrounded by a lot of female family members and besides Cidney, I don't think they would get the anti-female vibe from this game at all that EoFF seems to be getting.
    placeholder_text.jpeg