Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokemon question

IVs are actually fairly easy to explain.

Every Pokemon type has a set base stat. A Shuckle always has incredibly high Defense and Special Defense, and incredibly low everything else, for example.

However, in order to ensure that your Shuckle isn't identical to everyone else's Shuckle, GameFreak put some slight randomization into the Pokemon. They are called "Individual Values", because they are unique to an individual Pokemon.

Each Individual Value (IV), can range from Zero to 31. Once a Pokemon reaches Level 100, the full effect of the IVs can be seen. A Level 100 Shuckle with an IV of 31 in Speed will have a Speed stat 31 points higher than a Level 100 Shuckle with an IV of Zero in Speed. Which, especially considering how bad Shuckle's base Speed is, is nothing to sneeze at.

IVs still have effects at lower levels, but less pronounced, because they scale based on level.

Each time you encounter a new Pokemon, its IVs are generated at random. But, if you breed, the baby inherits half of the IVs for its stats from its parents (three stats chosen at random). If one of the parents holds a Destiny Knot, the baby will inherit five of its six IVs from its parents! So knowledge of these IVs let you breed up better and better Pokemon, and if you get one perfect or near perfect Pokemon, it's easier to breed more.

31 Points (+ or - 10% based on Nature) isn't a lot, but it can mean the difference between a one-hit KO or a two-hit KO, or which Pokemon is faster and moves first in a turn. So competitive players breed for perfect IVs.

And a system designed to make Pokemon unique results in them all being the same.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    How far are you in X, Formy? I'm starting up the official signups for this cool Pokemon tournament tomorrow, and it's gonna start two weeks after that. Perhaps you wanna join?

And the shiny thing is annoying. My friend got a shiny in every single game he played, and then my little brother got a shiny Minccino in White, his first Pokemon game. Life just isn't fair
    Sorry, I'm really not terribly far. I got sort of a 1/4 through but sort of... gave up. Pokemon has that sort of affect on me, I love the series but I never really have the heart to actually go out and finish it.