Thread: Dull but therapeutic

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Dull but therapeutic

I've been really stressed for the last few days or so, and haven't really been able to concentrate or focus on anything much for too long of a time, I haven't been able to write, read, watch shows without getting distracted... So today, I've been building and decorating houses on The Sims. It's a pretty dull process and gets repetitive but it helps just to clear my mind and make me feel like I'm doing 'something'. I've been at it for almost a couple of hours and it seems to be working to take my mind of stuff.

I used to do a lot of sewing back when I had the equipment so I may pick that back up again, who knows! Just little repetitive things can help clear my mind out of all the junk for a while and make me feel good.

Do you have any hobbies or crafts that can sort of, clear out your head? I have a friend who makes necklaces and when she's feeling stressed she'll mix all of her beads up and then sit and sort them out back into colours/sizes. I heard jigsaw puzzles are good for this too.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I'm stressed, I don't think I realize it until I am not longer stressed. I'm too caught up in the tunnel vision of engaging in the stress. Coming down from it, though, I usually like to engage in comfort activities, which probably involve food, TV or movies.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I've heard colouring books are a good distraction. I am fond of cardio, or just walking while listening to music. Spot cleaning and mild housework is useful yet dull. I suspect that video games will be a popular answer with this crowd. I hope you feel better!

I don't get stressed, or certainly not to the level that requires something to clear my mind, however, I utterly love to walk and if I'm feeling a little overwhelmed or have been stuck in work all week then I'll always take a walk. Usually through the woods, or on the beach near my house.

Always does the trick.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
    I've heard colouring books are a good distraction. I am fond of cardio, or just walking while listening to music. Spot cleaning and mild housework is useful yet dull. I suspect that video games will be a popular answer with this crowd. I hope you feel better!
    Yeah colouring and painting by numbers are great.

When I'm home, I'll give all my dogs a bath and brush them for a while too. I would also clip their nails if they didn't run like the wind and go nuts over the clippers.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Running. For hours.

Also cleaning.

These two things help me cleanse my mind and just be.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

Cooking... Although even that's kind of become a point of stress for me lately as we're really tight on funds for now and my daughter is going to be here this coming Friday.

Watching Food Network and the Cooking Channel while doing something else.. Maybe be in chat. I have a big addiction to cooking shows. Especially the celebrity ones that have been airing lately - Trisha Yearwood, Haylie Duff, Tia Mowry, Rev Run, etc...

I haven't really gamed lately. I need to. I'm in the middle of getting atma stuff in XIV.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Swimming, taking long walks, taking a nice hot shower, getting a massage...

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Video games. Usually puzzle stuff or anything that makes me think or concentrate more than I usually would. If I can't game I'll just read. Usually look up a wiki article or read a thread somewhere that I know won't contain upsetting stuff. Not the most unique answer, I know, but it works for me!

I waste hours on Pinterest looking at all kinds of stuff. I also live the complicated paint by numbers and currently I have the 1000 dot to dot book where each picture has 1000 dots! I do these when I'm really stressed and need something that demand my full attention so I dont think about anything else.