Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is something you want that has never been done in a RPG before?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I'm with Fynn on mature characters. I wouldn't be opposed to playing a grandpa character. But playing a character older than like 21 is extremely rare as it is. So even playing someone in their late 20s or early 30s would be a breath of fresh air

I honestly think it'd be really amusing if the town's blacksmith had to put his hammer to use saving the town or something. Even more interesting if they didn't have a more workable trade. Have an Inn keeper be the only towns person willing to venture out and save the country or something. It doesn't always have to be teenagers willing and eager to help

I agree with both of you on this one, why not let a guy with a family decide he will go to make sure his kids are safe from what ever looms in the shadows.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I'm with Fynn on mature characters. I wouldn't be opposed to playing a grandpa character. But playing a character older than like 21 is extremely rare as it is. So even playing someone in their late 20s or early 30s would be a breath of fresh air

I honestly think it'd be really amusing if the town's blacksmith had to put his hammer to use saving the town or something. Even more interesting if they didn't have a more workable trade. Have an Inn keeper be the only towns person willing to venture out and save the country or something. It doesn't always have to be teenagers willing and eager to help

I agree with both of you on this one, why not let a guy with a family decide he will go to make sure his kids are safe from what ever looms in the shadows.
    That sort of reminds me of how Luke Skywalker was originally written in the first draft of Star Wars. He was going to be as old as Obi-Wan and being a very seasoned veteran. Granted that film worked since it needed a young character full of questions as an audience surrogate.

Anyway, I would also be down with an experienced character at the helm.

Even a mature character doesn't have to be very worldly. I think it'd be endearing if an older character got drafted into a situation bigger than him, and had to leave his comfort zone, and sheltered life behind and set out and see and learn new things. Though it'd probably have to be written by someone more competent than the average RPG writers

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Even a mature character doesn't have to be very worldly. I think it'd be endearing if an older character got drafted into a situation bigger than him, and had to leave his comfort zone, and sheltered life behind and set out and see and learn new things. Though it'd probably have to be written by someone more competent than the average RPG writers
    Yeah, exactly. I was just saying on my side tangent that Star Wars wouldn't have worked with an inexperienced old general since there is no way a seasoned veteran in that world would not know his stuff.

Anyway, it would be a huge challenge to write in that direction as it is, but especially hard for a video game.

Tales of Xillia had Rowen, who was a 60+ year old butler when he joined the team. Though he wasn't inexperienced, the events of the game took him by surprise just as much as anyone else. And he remains one of the shining beacons to me on this type of conversation. Proving that it is completely possible to pull off. I would have loved to play as Rowen as the protagonist if the story were written a little differently. Just that nobody wants to take that plunge

Maybe I should go write for a video game company xD

Even a mature character doesn't have to be very worldly.
    For some reason this immediately put me in mind of a wizened little old lady. She always sat at home reading or knitting, but one day she decides to go out and adventure. She has no real world experience, but constantly calls everyone else "inexperienced whippersnappers", and whacks them over the head with her cane.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Tales of Xillia had Rowen, who was a 60+ year old butler when he joined the team. Though he wasn't inexperienced, the events of the game took him by surprise just as much as anyone else. And he remains one of the shining beacons to me on this type of conversation. Proving that it is completely possible to pull off. I would have loved to play as Rowen as the protagonist if the story were written a little differently. Just that nobody wants to take that plunge

Maybe I should go write for a video game company xD
    It would be cool if we could do a RPG maker and upload and download for members. Let people get their game ideas out there. Why hasn't square done that for people yet!

Personally, I'd love a gothic vampire hunter RPG set in the 1800s. Basically Castlevania, mixed with Final Fantasy. I'd also really like them to implement a tool system like Wild ARMs.

Adaptive plot.

I want a Final Fantasy - or even Bravely Default - where there are four fiends wreaking havoc on the four crystals, but it's more open-world and you can go to any of the four realms first. And whichever one you fight first is at level 10. Whichever one you fight second is at level 30. Then 60, then 99. But not only does the difficulty scale, the plot adjusts accordingly, where after you beat the first fiend, the three other fiends get together and...I don't know, do something to try to come after you. There could be optional triggered ambushes/assaults/battles based on where you go and when.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!