View Poll Results: Are you patriotic?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course! God bless [the name of my country]!

2 9.52%
  • Eh, maybe a little

3 14.29%
  • Only during the Olympics/World Cup

1 4.76%
  • I would, if my country wasn't controlled by the Zionists

1 4.76%
  • Blind patriotism is the cause of most of the world's problems

14 66.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you Patriotic?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    The Stars and Bars represent an amazing opportunity. I'm very patriotic to the ideals that have formed that opportunity.
    I think you mean stars & stripes. Stars & bars refers to that other flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    The Stars and Bars represent an amazing opportunity. I'm very patriotic to the ideals that have formed that opportunity.
    Other flag? Forgive me for my ignorance on this matter, I'm not American.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Other flag? Forgive me for my ignorance on this matter, I'm not American.
    The Confederate Flag, which has been all over our news/comedy shows, has been referred to by that name.

Oh, right, of course!
    I was aware of the current furore over the Confederate Flag, just not that it is known as 'The Stars and Bars'.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Yup, sorry. My brain crossed some wires.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I am considerably more patriotic on a local level than I am on a national one. I am DAMN proud of being a Montanan and especially proud of being a Bozemanite. Being an American is okay, I guess. It was pretty good yesterday.

Blog Entries

Wales has a lot of nationalists of the wrong kind. It's fairly turned me off the whole patriotism thing. I like the history and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    The Civil War was flat out fought to abolish slavery. The slave states who tried to secede into the Confederacy did it with reasons plainly associated with their slave operations. If they were "getting raped by the North", it was because they wanted to keep perpetuating the unwholesome trout in the south and the North slammed them down for it.

Additionally, I don't think arguing for the Confederacy is a particularly good position to be in.

As for the war business, I thought that example might come up, and all I can say is that no, I don't think we are a nation who propagates war and hatred and genocide, but that we have been at the mercy of some particularly poor leaders who have chosen such courses of action.
    The Civil War was not fought over slavery. It was simply state rights and taxation. The South was being ignored by the North for a long time on a lot of issues and the South got ignored for the last time and the Civil War happened. Yes, slavery was a part of it but it wasn't the main reason why it was fought. Check your history books.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
    The Civil War was flat out fought to abolish slavery. The slave states who tried to secede into the Confederacy did it with reasons plainly associated with their slave operations. If they were "getting raped by the North", it was because they wanted to keep perpetuating the unwholesome trout in the south and the North slammed them down for it.

Additionally, I don't think arguing for the Confederacy is a particularly good position to be in.

As for the war business, I thought that example might come up, and all I can say is that no, I don't think we are a nation who propagates war and hatred and genocide, but that we have been at the mercy of some particularly poor leaders who have chosen such courses of action.
    The Civil War was not fought over slavery. It was simply state rights and taxation. The South was being ignored by the North for a long time on a lot of issues and the South got ignored for the last time and the Civil War happened. Yes, slavery was a part of it but it wasn't the main reason why it was fought. Check your history books.
    No, the secession was based tariffs and taxes, in addition preserving slavery, states’ rights (exercising slavery), and political liberty for whites. Then the Civil War came, which was based on the south wanting to continue operating in ways that were no longer conducive to the nation, with many of their ways were directly centralized by the slave operations and labor that they relied on as a confederacy. Check your own history books.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post

No, the secession was based tariffs and taxes, in addition preserving slavery, states’ rights (exercising slavery), and political liberty for whites. Then the Civil War came, which was based on the south wanting to continue operating in ways that were no longer conducive to the nation, with many of their ways were directly centralized by the slave operations and labor that they relied on as a confederacy. Check your own history books.
    And that's why it's state rights. It wasn't fought over pure slavery. It may have been to exercise the right of using them but it was not slavery. The South didn't have much of a voice in politics in the Union. Every other president before Lincoln didn't condemn slavery and immediately order the South to get rid of them. They talked about it and at least gave the South that right to voice their opinion on political matters instead of ordering them to get rid of it. Lincoln and the Republican party condemned it so they knew once he got into office they weren't going to get a say in the matter of slavery, taxation, industrialization, or other politics. Slavery was a part of the reason it was fought but it wasn't the reason why it was fought. It was fought over state rights and representation. I still say check your history books. Taxes may have been on reason for succession. But loss of representation is the big one.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Honestly read this as, "Are you Psychotic?"

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Paper Star View Post
    Oh God, I'm not the only one!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    yes
    uh no I think I'd know if I was you.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope.

I can tell words from other words. Even when they start with the same letter.

I kinda saw it as psychotic too at first.