Thread: Earthbound Beginnings

Default Earthbound Beginnings

JRPG fans, let out a cheer. The game known as Mother in Japan, the first game in a legendary cult classic series, has finally been officially released in the West, as Earthbound Beginnings.

Available on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Even just a simple speech and Itoi-san can hit you right in the feels.

It is likely only a matter of time before Mother 3 gets a similar port. So who is looking forward to experiencing the entirety of this fantastic piece of gaming history?
    Last edited by Skyblade; 06-14-2015 at 11:43 PM.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I'm actually not a fan of the original Mother, but I am glad that the entry is finally getting an official release. The series has a lot of fans and it's always nice when companies acknowledge them, especially in this case where the attitude towards non-Japanese fans thus far has been so dismissive.

I've always been interested in this series every since I saw the fight with Giygas in Mother 2 (I'm going to name it like it is), and I loved how disturbing the imagery, the music, and the dialogue was for a kids game. I've seen more clips, listened to Mother 2's soundtrack, and I have now developed an interest in the games. I'm happy the first game is now legally available.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've always been interested in this series so it's nice to see it getting more love. Also thank you Nintendo for using digital distribution to release all the old classics that never made it out of Japan. I only hope Squenix and Konami will take notice and do the right thing as well.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually enjoyed the bit I played of Mother, although it was pretty rough and REALLY hard if I remember right. I didn't get too far in it though. I would laugh if Mother 3 never came out here and we just got the first game since I think the general opinion is the first game is the worst of the bunch.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I loved playing Mother 2, going to be picking this up when I can.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Neat. Maybe I will actually play these games at some point.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Got it. Played it on emulator before. It's an old RPG, so don't expect something like Earthbound and Mother 3 necessarily, but I bought it in hopes that they'll release Mother 3 officially. Good times!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'll give it a try. Earthbound was always a fun and unique game. Awesome that Nintendo is doing this!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Mother 3 is one of my favorite RPGs ever. Hopefully we get that game too.