Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [E3 2015] Star Ocean 5

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> SO5? WTF? SO is a super dead franchise. Not to mention the game looks lame.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Is it?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Eneby Kurs (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    THis post does not look like you have played it for 600 hours. And I would play it another 600 before even touching a Souls gameagain, which I have tried for 30 minutes and never tried ever again.
    Compelling arguments. Tell me more.
    a brother never lived to hear me diss him on no record...
    extralives - counterfeit self

SO4 was truly a wretched game. It has some good aspects (like most things do) but the story and characters were soooooooooo bad that basically overwhelmed anything good that might have been happening. And combat was pretty boring.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

THis post does not look like you have played it for 600 hours. And I would play it another 600 before even touching a Souls gameagain, which I have tried for 30 minutes and never tried ever again.
    Which parts of it are wrong?

Articles
    Blog Entries

He needs 25 days to comment on something, but you only need 30 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    He needs 25 days to comment on something, but you only need 30 minutes?
    I need 30 minutes because I don't like it as its aspects don't interest me, not because I say "they added this and did it the wrong way and that's a fact which mathematically results in it being objectively bad". I do not claim the souls games to be bad and I do not say what they have done is wrong. It is just "wrong if they want my interest", it still works for many. That's the difference. He also does not need to play a game for 600 hours, it was merely to comment on how the game itself cannot be this bad if I am interested in those so-called badly placed aspects if I play it this long. If someone plays or watches something and says "not interested" that is perfectly fine. It also does not really help to always compare it to another Star Ocean and say "and that is why it is bad". People need to try out a new formula as well - and yes, it also is liked by players. Not everyone hates what Star Ocean 4 brought in. The only things I personally could complain about when it comes to the games are stuff like freezing, which happened to the best games for me and that doll-like stare of some characters in some situations. Also it does not really help commenting about blindsiding is justa defensive maneuver for offensive purposes (while it being mainly used for that might be true but at the same time greatly helps to avoid getting damage, the best way to defend yourself is by not getting damage in the first place) or BEAT is pointless when its flat-out not true as I also made good use of it. I needed to play the game enough for the platinum trophy and can say that you can definitely make good use of both. We can argue about necessity, but that's different.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-24-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Actually people can enjoy games that others consider bad (or someone may not enjoy a game that others consider good) - it's having an opinion. You may find something acceptable, while to someone else it may be a deal breaker. Jibril explained why he felt it was bad. You can disagree, but he still personally considers it bad for those reasons. It doesn't mean you are wrong for enjoying it, and he is not wrong for not enjoying it.

Of course there is no need for everyone to preface and end every post with "this is my opinion" for this general idea to be the case.

Which would result in differentiating between the opinion that something is bad and someone making a claim that something is bad, being very hard.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved SO4 so I am very excite about the new one I've also played 2 and 3 and I wasn't as big of a fan, but I didn't dislike them either.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Which would result in differentiating between the opinion that something is bad and someone making a claim that something is bad, being very hard.
    So which parts of jibril's post do you think are incorrect? Why do you think those points he brought up improve the gameplay rather than make it worse?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Easy fix for that: if someone is claiming that a piece of media is bad, you will find that their opinion plays heavily into whether they think it is bad or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    So which parts of jibril's post do you think are incorrect? Why do you think those points he brought up improve the gameplay rather than make it worse?
    The problem is the line "that's not why it is bad" which introduces, in my eyes, a post that is there to prove something and not explain how an opinion was formed. Also I already explained the part with the blindsides and the BEAT system. I have played the game for a long time. I forgot how blindsides worked for a long time, which both made attacking harder (here the offensive part" but also took away the option of easily dodging any attacks. Jibril's post made it sound like a one-sided thing, which is not correct. Is it mainly used for offensive purposes? Yes. But the defensive part is there in the first place. You just happen to avoid getting damage if you do it right. When it comes to the BEAT, I would really like to know how someone could think the system was worthless or useless or anything like that. I greatly benefitted from it, so worthless? No. I also see no reason to insist on the Welch Synthesis being so much better, as there are already so many options to make broken items in the first place, like the "Super-Tri-Emblum". If you do it right you pretty much decide anyway what things you want to have in those items. The only reason for wanting "more free slots" could only be that you still want to add something else. But Star Ocean The Last Hope gives you enough chances to add the stuff you want, if you just do it right. That one might be a bit "worse", but I don't know if that is even a proper word for it, because, as mentioned, you can easily make your broken characters that wipe the floor with the Ethereal Queen, even on Chaos Difficulty. Even the AI thing with four characters seems to be very weird. I have had no problems with them most of the time, so I would consider that being more of a settings thing.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-24-2015 at 05:47 PM.

If this is real, i cant wait for this to come out. I love the star ocean series ever since i played the second star ocean when i was in middle school. I sadly have not played the first.

I did not hear anything about star ocean5 in the news feed about games at E3.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

What do you mean by "if"? It was officially announced by Square Enix this year.