Thread: A Shocking Swerve

Default A Shocking Swerve

I said this elsewhere but you know what FFVIII needed? It needed the Missile Base Team to actually die. The fact of the matter is, FFVIII's party is worthless from both a story and gameplay perspective. None of them develop at all apart from Squall, Rinoa and MAYBE Quistis, assuming she's in your party at the right times. Now I could accept the fact 2/6 party members have any meaningful characterization if the other 4 existed to diversify the combat. But since everyone plays exactly the same you're left wondering why the hell Zell or Irvine even exist.

So, answer: don't let them exist. Blow them the smurf up. They would accomplish much more in death than they ever did in life. It would help justify Squall taking his role as leader much more seriously.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure we had a whole thread explaining why the cast of FFVIII works as supporting characters to Squall, so I'm just going to ignore that part of your post.

This would be hard to do since you pick who you choose to go to the Missile Base with the exception of Selphie, so they would have had to design every scene thereafter with each character in mind depending on who you chose. I'm almost certain Rinoa would automatically go with you to Balamb if this was the plan from the beginning so right away you'd know something's up. I wonder how many people would've complained it was a cheap Aerith death redo if they did this.

FFXIV Character

Temaia Aetherwynn (Behemoth)

I think if half of your party had died, especially Selphie, you'd miss the reveal about their pasts.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

oh. my gosh. We get it, you don't like the cast of VIII. In fact, you seem to hate them with a passion like they're physically harming you as opposed to just being video game characters you don't like.

Would that have made a shocking twist? Yeah probably. But I for one don't want to lose half of my party, so I would probably quit the game right there. One or two deaths, or more when you get party members to replace them is one thing, but making it so you've built up half the party for a good chunk of the game to then only get half of the characters for the rest of the game? Hell no

FFXIV Character

Temaia Aetherwynn (Behemoth)

okay so half your team dies... so who's chasing the Lunatic Pandora aroud Esthar while Squall's in space?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would have felt like a cheap cop-out really. Most people would have groaned that Square was trying to out do Aerith's death and they would be right. I've already discussed in length in the other thread why the cast of VIII is important to Squall's journey, so I won't repeat myself here.

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterDarkRen View Post
    okay so half your team dies... so who's chasing the Lunatic Pandora aroud Esthar while Squall's in space?
    ...nobody because that part is terrible and pointless.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    oh. my gosh. We get it, you don't like the cast of VIII. In fact, you seem to hate them with a passion like they're physically harming you as opposed to just being video game characters you don't like.
    It's official. Forsaken Lover is Lemongrab.

FL's reaction to FFVIII:

Square's punishment?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

maybe they shouldnt die in the missile base, but somewhere else? after the trabia garden bit atleast.

perhaps... Zell shouldnt die. but stay with "Ma Dincht"?
    uh Selphie? could stay in trabia to help rebuild?
    Irvine can now fly airships because i said so. so he stays to manage the airship.
    and quistis?.... do what you want with her.

there maybe that sorted out people dying. you know who should die though.

The Mayor of timber. because he looks like Boris Johnson.

ok.

i like VIII now so yeah.

EDIT: also since losing half your party is the dumbest thing ever. you could go and pick them up when you want them. till disc 4 and they come with you anyway.
    im not really caring for what happens im just writing ideas down.