Thread: Recommendations for point of interest in North-East America?

Default Recommendations for point of interest in North-East America?

This one is for people on the east coast of America.

So me and a few others are going to the east side of America at the beginning of September for 2 weeks, for our mate's wedding.

We'll be spending mostly of our first week in Maine, but we're looking to check out some places in the surrounding areas.

Already put places like Times Square, Central Park, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty on the list, as well as Niagara Falls, but those places are obvious.

I wanted to see if any one could help us and recommend any hidden gems for us to see in New York, as well as any places north east in general, particularly Boston, Philadelphia.

Thanks

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The museums in New York: sex museum, museum of natural history, moma, metropolitan museum obviously Broadway for the plays. There are some underground things to do there but some involve going to Brooklyn which I know tourists tend to avoid.

I'm not super touristy so not sure what to recommend apart from that and maybe some food places.

Philadelphia also as museums but I find the thing to do there is attending break dancing events. The stuff they do with their bodies is incredible more so than I've seen in New York or L.A. I also like the Omish county outside of philly but still in PA.

If you go to Baltimore check out the harbor it has an aquarium and museum of science (I think it's called that) you can take a ferry ride on the harbor for cheap to get to the museum. It's a nice ride on a nice summer evening.

Also the theme parks in the east coast just to name a few:
    Hershey park
    Dorney park
    Six flags great adventure (the best one for its roller coasters)
    Six flags great escape

Vermont is awesome if you like to snowboard ski or canoe.

That all sounds really good. I'd like to do all of that. Snowboarding would be great to try. Museums as well. Completely forgot about Broadway.

But yeah, don't have to be an expected things to see, just like to hear people's preferences that they think would be great to see for a foreigner. Like a food place that a person thinks makes the best burgers etc as well for example.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Just making sure you know plan on making the trip to Niagra falls at least an overnight stay. It's a 7+ hour drive depending on the route you take. New York is a pretty large State.

As Shiny said hit up museums and broadway. NYC has so much to do. You can also go to the botanical gardens and the Bronx zoo. Other East coast cities I reccomend are Atlantic City and DC. Atlantic City is like vegas. Pick a hotel on the boardwalk and have some fun. DC is a great city and you must hit up the Smithsonian museums. They are fantastic and if you to Baltimore then DC is very close.

For food you have to go to a Kosher deli and get a Reuben on rye. Delicious.I would go to Katz's if I were you.

Blog Entries

You could check out the American stone henge in new hampshire. I'll post more stuff when I'm home from work.

Look at a map, pick some random small town (perhaps inbetween two cities you're visiting) and go there. Try the local food, go to the local bar, visit the library talk to the people and ask if there's anywhere in town that's worth taking a look at.

When I travelled New England some of the best times I had were in small towns that I got to almost by accident. I've made some friends I still talk to almost 3 years later just from one overnight stay.

Anyway, have a fantastic time whatever you decide to do!

Blog Entries

there's lots of cool places along the coast of Maine. Not sure if you'll be making it up here to Vermont, there's always tons of hiking and outdoor activities here. If i knew the route you plan on taking I could be of more help. New England does comprise several states so there's a good amount of area to cover

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Just making sure you know plan on making the trip to Niagra falls at least an overnight stay. It's a 7+ hour drive depending on the route you take. New York is a pretty large State.

As Shiny said hit up museums and broadway. NYC has so much to do. You can also go to the botanical gardens and the Bronx zoo. Other East coast cities I reccomend are Atlantic City and DC. Atlantic City is like vegas. Pick a hotel on the boardwalk and have some fun. DC is a great city and you must hit up the Smithsonian museums. They are fantastic and if you to Baltimore then DC is very close.

For food you have to go to a Kosher deli and get a Reuben on rye. Delicious.I would go to Katz's if I were you.
    Good call actually. I think it's one of the main places we need to see. So I will advise the others.

All those places sound great though. I wish I could go everywhere, but only have 2 weeks. Plus have to considered others preferences as well. Maybe one day I'll get to see it all. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    You could check out the American stone henge in new hampshire. I'll post more stuff when I'm home from work.
    What would this be?

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Look at a map, pick some random small town (perhaps inbetween two cities you're visiting) and go there. Try the local food, go to the local bar, visit the library talk to the people and ask if there's anywhere in town that's worth taking a look at.

When I travelled New England some of the best times I had were in small towns that I got to almost by accident. I've made some friends I still talk to almost 3 years later just from one overnight stay.

Anyway, have a fantastic time whatever you decide to do!
    Well it kind of the case of how we are coming to America. American living here at the time, started seeing best mate, then her friends came over for a week to visit and we all got along really well quite fast. Holiday romance with one of them myself as well. So what you saying happened with them, here and now were all pretty close 2 years on. So I hope the same will happen with us. And thanks. I am looking forward to it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    there's lots of cool places along the coast of Maine. Not sure if you'll be making it up here to Vermont, there's always tons of hiking and outdoor activities here. If i knew the route you plan on taking I could be of more help. New England does comprise several states so there's a good amount of area to cover
    Well our plans is to go to Maine. Have a week there. Then head south through the states, visiting places in them, down to NY and possibly further. Obviously we cant do everything, but I would love to see Vermont. Maybe I cant see that dear eating fruit from the orchard. (Friends reference).

Thanks a lot guys. Keep em coming if no one has mentioned it

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My only advice is to check out a different part of the country. hashtagPNW hashtagSoCal

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

The American. Stonehenge is a site with pretty cool stuff. No one is sure who exactly built it. There's lots of astronomical formations and even a sacrificial table. It's in southern NH. Son speculate it was built by natives, others says Vikings some believe the Phoenicians made it to NA and built it.