Thread: Chorizo Heaven!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Chorizo Heaven!

I have just unashamedly ate an entire pack of chorizo slices. And it was divine. Chorizo is just so damn good. You can incorporate it into so many dishes and it never loses the trademark salty sweetness.

What dishes and recipes do you guys use this wonder sausage for?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I had chorizo in a yummy tortilla toastie with Brussel sprouts last night!! Delicious!

Blog Entries

I only use Mexican chorizo. You remove the casing and it's "cured" or whatever with vinegar and spices.. It crumbles up very fine as you cook it and it's just wonderful.

Huevos con chorizo is my trout. I cook up the chorizo with chopped onion, garlic, and jalapeno and then add beaten egg. And then make tacos with corn tortiloss that I heat up directly on a gas flame with it on medium low heat until the tortilla is pliable but almost a bit crispy and charred in a few spots. And don't forget the spicy salsa and cilantro!

I've also used it to flavor my black beans on occasion and when we lived in Tennessee, I would make my boyfriend these big ole tortas with carne asada, chorizo, a fried egg, avocado, grilled onion and jalapeno (sliced after it's grilled), avocado, and then mayo and refried beans spread on the top half of the bolillo bread. Oh. And queso fresco!

FFXIV Character

Temaia Aetherwynn (Behemoth)

I just eat Chorizo on its own because I am weird XD

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    I only use Mexican chorizo. You remove the casing and it's "cured" or whatever with vinegar and spices.. It crumbles up very fine as you cook it and it's just wonderful.

Huevos con chorizo is my trout. I cook up the chorizo with chopped onion, garlic, and jalapeno and then add beaten egg. And then make tacos with corn tortiloss that I heat up directly on a gas flame with it on medium low heat until the tortilla is pliable but almost a bit crispy and charred in a few spots. And don't forget the spicy salsa and cilantro!

I've also used it to flavor my black beans on occasion and when we lived in Tennessee, I would make my boyfriend these big ole tortas with carne asada, chorizo, a fried egg, avocado, grilled onion and jalapeno (sliced after it's grilled), avocado, and then mayo and refried beans spread on the top half of the bolillo bread. Oh. And queso fresco!
    Noxy, have you considered going into the culinary arts as a career? You just seem so knowledgeable about food. It's mighty impressive!

I've never tried Mexican Chorizo. Is it just the crumbliness that is different or is it spicier?

Blog Entries

*giggles* Awww Formy! <3 People have told me this, yes.. But.. I love cooking too much to want to turn it into a career. I don't want to ruin it for myself. Plus, I've worked in restaurants for 6 years as a server and I'm just tired of the restaurant business in general.

Mexican chorizo isn't really spicy per se, it's just spiced differently with things like cumin, chiles, vinegar, etc. The meat is finely minced rather than ground like Spanish chorizo and actually isn't cured at all, so it has to be cooked before eating. The casing on Mexican chorizo can vary - the cheaper, more common brands like Cacique is inedible and has to be removed, but there are brands that do use edible ones. There's no way to just slice it up into chunks due to the way it's made.

It's sooo yummy though. Oh! And a lot of Mexican restaurants do what's called "choriqueso" or "queso fundido" - chorizo sauteed up in a little cast iron skillet then some type of melty cheese or even cheese dip poured on top and then baked. It's served with either flour tortillas or chips depending on which way it's made!

I have used Spanish chorizo, but I much prefer Mexican. It's a shame, I can never find Mexican chorizo here in NYC. I'm probably just not looking hard enough.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Chorizo is pretty great. It can be added to most things for additional delicious.

My favourite incarnation of chorizo eatin' is getting a baguette - drizzle some olive oil and rub tomato on the bread. Slap on some chorizo slices and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Heat if you fancy, but man, it all comes together into a delicious sandwich.

Articles
    Blog Entries

*giggles* Awww Formy! <3 People have told me this, yes.. But.. I love cooking too much to want to turn it into a career. I don't want to ruin it for myself. Plus, I've worked in restaurants for 6 years as a server and I'm just tired of the restaurant business in general.
    You could definitely turn it into a social media thing though, or maybe as a lucrative side hobby. There are plenty of bloggers who blog about their favorite foods and recipes.

You know, I really need to eat more Mexican food more often. It sounds so deliciously meaty and spicy and yummy. I've still never ate at a Mexican restaurant. I must find one in Winchester.

Blog Entries

I actually have a food blog, but I'm kind of in the middle of starting over from scratch.

My plating and food photography skillz are terribad. I have a friend that went to culinary school and has worked briefly in the Food Network kitchens, I'm gonna see if I can finagle her into learning me how to do that stuff better. It doesn't help that I have really bad lighting in my kitchen in spite of having 2 huge windows and 2 smaller ones. The windows are so far away from my counter space that it doesn't offer me anything in the way of lighting.

I can shoot you a few authentic Mexican recipes that you can make at home if you'd like that are really easy and healthy!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can shoot you a few authentic Mexican recipes that you can make at home if you'd like that are really easy and healthy!
    I'd be delighted! Thanks Noxy!

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I'd be delighted! Thanks Noxy!
    Yes, teach Formy to cook more stuff, so he can make me nice things to eat!