Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Heroes of the Storm

There was another thread on this but it was kind of old so I figured we'd start fresh.

It's a MOBA full of Blizzard characters. I'm not a huge MOBA person honestly (the genre just doesn't do much for me, and I say this as someone who played the original DotA back in like 2006) but I like being Kael'thas and destroying people as the glorious superior blood elves. Especially Stormpunk Kael'thas, this is just absolutely AMAZING, best skin

FELPUNK KAEL.JPG

so yeah who are your favorite characters to play?? I also like Diablo and Rehgar (but mostly Kael'thas)

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I played the beta(or was it alpha, trout i don't remember it was moooonths ago) thanks to aul. I liked it but I'm really bad at those games. They only had like 3 or 4 characters at the time. Haven't touched it since.

I like all the Blizz characters though

I've played 10-15 games with random free heroes, I don't have any attachment to any of them. It's basically Dota for people who only have tens of hours instead of thousands of hours to commit to it; much lower barrier of entry, much less depth over the extremely long haul, from what I can tell. It's certainly fine but it's not going to pull "real" MOBA players to it.

UPDATE: I played a game today so I have a favorite so far, Nazeebo is cool.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Does it really not have the same skill curve as Dota? A lot of that is informed by the metagame, so I assume we won't really know until HotS has been out for a few months.

There's just way less to know and way less to "decide," so there's inherently a far lower barrier to entry. In Dota I have to know my hero; all allied heroes; all opposing heroes (there are a lot more in Dota than HotS). But I also have to know a lot about many, many items and what they all mean/cost/etc. In HotS those do't exist.

In Dota as I get better I also have to understand lane equilibrium, stack/pull techniques, whatever other dumb quirks, and I have to have mechanical skill regarding last-hitting/denying/aggro management, etc. In HotS there's none of this basically, or at least none that seems to matter much to me.

Plus a smaller map with faster traversal speed and fewer options for traversing it (since no BoT/mobility items/etc) is inherently "simpler" and more forgiving than a larger map where you have to make important decisions much further in advance of the actual moment of conflict.