Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah Magic 2015 has a deck builder's tookit, I also picked up one the "Duel Decks" bundles - it gives you two decks which you give a general idea of what each color or deck theme is about, it's also a nice starting point to building your collection and gives you an extra deck to play/learn with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Yeah Magic 2015 has a deck builder's tookit, I also picked up one the "Duel Decks" bundles - it gives you two decks which you give a general idea of what each color or deck theme is about, it's also a nice starting point to building your collection and gives you an extra deck to play/learn with a friend.
    Duel Decks are a great option for newbies and casual players, indeed. :3

Blog Entries

Ive recently jumped back into MTG. I run a Izzet gizmometry blue/red variant deck for modern and a variant of mindseize for commander. still working on a standard blue/red for Friday night magic. I'm all about the blue/red

I grabbed the Origins deckbuilding toolkit and was pleased.
    Last edited by escobert; 10-10-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    I grabbed the Origins deckbuilding toolkit and was pleased.
    I also bought it for myself and I pulled Liliana from Origins booster pack!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I dabbled in Magic a bit around 1997 but never really got into it. Then I played it a lot from New Phyrexia through to Theros, but then fell out of it again due to the local draft scene fading. Standard was fun but everyone local in Ireland wanted to play Modern which was way too costly for me to try and build a viable deck. Now I occasionally just play Commander using the prebuilt decks they released a couple of years back.

Plus I played Human/Angel decks (very girly) and Angels in particular were pretty rare in Theros.

Innistrad I had mono white Human aggro, which transitioned into a Boros deck with RtR. I also had a fun Selesneya deck with Trostani. I had a couple of gimmick decks too such as a BGW Seance deck and a Mirror-Mad Phantasm/Laboratory Maniac/Seance mill yourself to win deck.

I actually came 3rd in the local sealed deck tournament for Dragons Maze pre-release too, which is like the best I ever did competitively. Normally I'm pretty mediocre.

Although I've probably stopped completely now as there's not much of a scene where I live in France, and also the language barrier too...

I tired Magic Online but just find the UI to be horrible.
    Last edited by Aulayna; 12-30-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    RIP MTGO 2001-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I dabbled in Magic a bit around 1997 but never really got into it. Then I played it a lot from New Phyrexia through to Theros, but then fell out of it again due to the local draft scene fading. Standard was fun but everyone local in Ireland wanted to play Modern which was way too costly for me to try and build a viable deck. Now I occasionally just play Commander using the prebuilt decks they released a couple of years back.

Plus I played Human/Angel decks (very girly) and Angels in particular were pretty rare in Theros.

Innistrad I had mono white Human aggro, which transitioned into a Boros deck with RtR. I also had a fun Selesneya deck with Trostani. I had a couple of gimmick decks too such as a BGW Seance deck and a Mirror-Mad Phantasm/Laboratory Maniac/Seance mill yourself to win deck.

I actually came 3rd in the local sealed deck tournament for Dragons Maze pre-release too, which is like the best I ever did competitively. Normally I'm pretty mediocre.

Although I've probably stopped completely now as there's not much of a scene where I live in France, and also the language barrier too...

I love Angels in MTG! <3 But why there is no male Angels? O.o

I also love playing Red Aggro and Red/White Mid-range decks generally. :P

As for Magic Online... trust me, it's not as bad as the UI of Cockatrice, but it's the only freeware game which is worth playing.
    Last edited by Zanmato; 01-01-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I came in here to post the exact same thing I posted 6 months ago, which I forgot I had posted. So instead I'll talk about my favorite decks.

As I said, I played mostly for a couple of years during college, which for me involved the end of Time Spiral through Shards of Alara blocks, during the Tenth Edition core set. Lorwyn block was the biggest of the era, as it saw the rise of Faeries and 5-color control decks. I never did play Faeries much, though, as that was my roommate's deck and it took me a while to build a sufficient collection of my own. My first deck was mono-green Elves, which was ok. As I got my own cards, I turned it into BG Elves, which was badass. After a (long) while I got bored of it, and so built an entirely homemade BGR midrange deck designed to beat both control and aggro(involving Bitterblossom, Sprouting Thrinax and Kitchen Finks, with end-gamers Profane Command and Banefire), which I took to a local States tournament and went 5-3.

The deck I played the most after that was probably a BWU Reveillark deck. There was no fancy Lark combo at this point, so I just crammed in some strong 2/xs like Stillmoon Cavalier with control cards. It was still fun to surprise players with, and I had a good run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanmato View Post
    Because, and this points to a lot of the issues MTG has, male Angels can't have boobs.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Yes they can. They might just be too fat to actually fly.

Nope, no one can be fat either, unless they're specifically a Glutton of some kind which makes them black.

I'm super new to this but bought my first starter kit a couple months ago as some of my friends are into it and got me involved. I was skeptical at first but I really enjoy it. Even though I don't have any special decks or cards I still manage to win a fair few games. My friends hate how often they have to explain things twice because I get distracted by the amazing artwork on the cards

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I play Magic... rather a lot. My Cube is worth more than my car. =S

I actually won FNM last week (Modern format) using Mono-blue Tron. This deck wins by 1) Blowing up most of opponent's lands with Sundering Titan 2) Controlling all of opponent's turns for the rest of the game with Mindslaver lock, until I manage to make the opponent kill himself or lose by decking 3) Platinum Angel + countering all of opponent's attempts to kill it 4) Casting a Wurmcoil Engine every turn via Academy Ruins. These are fairly miserable ways to lose, but the best part is that this deck isn't actually good. It's a solid tier 2 deck at best. We have a very competitive scene locally, and beating the tier 1 decks with this pile of 5-dollar rares is the most glorious kind of fun. It's good to be a blue mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    ended up selling many of my best cards to a fellow EoFFer.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky
    Because, and this points to a lot of the issues MTG has, male Angels can't have boobs.
    To be fair they've improved compared to the early days of Magic art. They've had a planeswalker in a wheelchair and a trans character recently. There are a lot of exposed man-abs alongside to go with the boob-armor. It seems like they try to put a little something for everyone in the art. (Except fat people.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanmato View Post
    Mark Rosewater said that he created female-only Angels intentionally, along with male-only Demons. :P

OK, there's Malach of the Dawn, but he's from an alternative reality (Time Spiral block), so he doesn't really count. :P

Reviving this thread because I really got into this over the last couple months. I only play casually with friends and we don't keep track of what is 'legal' in certain game types or whatever. I'm fairly new but I have had some decent success with the little card collection I got. It consisted of a deck builders toolkit, some 15 boosters and a handful of cards bought separately. In my last game I was able to combo Aegis Angel and a monstrous Hundred-Handed-One to win a 3-way-free-for-all. It was a sweet victory.

Tell me more about your favourite decks, combo's, cards, artworks and strategies please