Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering

i tried it when it first came out, that and Vampire: Jyhad... unfortunately the Taping/Untaping and "summoning sickness" make the game move way too slow for my tastes... that's why i switched to Yu-Gi-Oh! when it came out, because it moved way faster and those unnecessary steps that bogged MTG down were removed, unfortunately YGO fell victim to the "cookie cutter" meta and lost it's fun in the process when everyone started using the same deck... i don't remember much about Vampire: Jyhad except it had some of the prettiest card art...
    Last edited by Elly; 05-24-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: oops, didn't realize this was a necro thread...

I recently discovered that playing a blue counter deck is really really fun

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    i tried it when it first came out, that and Vampire: Jyhad... unfortunately the Taping/Untaping and "summoning sickness" make the game move way too slow for my tastes... that's why i switched to Yu-Gi-Oh! when it came out, because it moved way faster and those unnecessary steps that bogged MTG down were removed, unfortunately YGO fell victim to the "cookie cutter" meta and lost it's fun in the process when everyone started using the same deck... i don't remember much about Vampire: Jyhad except it had some of the prettiest card art...
    If you want a game as fast as Yu-Gi-Oh with the system similar to Magic: The Gathering, I recommend you playing Hearthstone. I think you should give it a try.

I was a Yu-Gi-Oh! player, but it's formula made me quit the game.
    MTG is a resource-based game (mana system), while in YGO you're casting cards without any cost (sacrificing doesn't really count, since it's a common thing in card games) at all.
    This is a big problem because this game is all about casting the strongest cards faster than your opponent can. One-sided matches and OTKs (One Turn Kill) are the common things there.

TL;DR: It's not the greatest, but also not the worst card game. It's just not a game for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I've been playing Mono Blue Tron in modern. It's a fun control deck. Unne goes into a bit more detail in his post about it's win cons.

Previously I had been playing a budget version of Affinity. But, I figured I'll never shell out $200 for a play set of Mox Opals or $150 for a play set of Glimmervoids so I gave up on my Affinity dreams.

Also, if you want to look into formats a good one is Pauper. It's mostly played on MTGonline and the decks consist of only cards printed at common. It's a VERY fun format and most decks are in the $50 range.
    Last edited by escobert; 07-02-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I played it 10 years ago, good memories. My cousin is a judge for tournaments and he loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    I've been playing Mono Blue Tron in modern. It's a fun control deck. Unne goes into a bit more detail in his post about it's win cons.

Previously I had been playing a budget version of Affinity. But, I figured I'll never shell out $200 for a play set of Mox Opals or $150 for a play set of Glimmervoids so I gave up on my Affinity dreams.

Also, if you want to look into formats a good one is Pauper. It's mostly played on MTGonline and the decks consist of only cards printed at common. It's a VERY fun format and most decks are in the $50 range.

Pauper does sound like fun! I've been putting together decks and it's eating my wallet.

Today or tomorrow another order will arrive containing some materials for a blue/black milling deck. It's my first attempt at one of these so i hope it's going to work!

Blog Entries

Pauper does sound like fun! I've been putting together decks and it's eating my wallet.

Today or tomorrow another order will arrive containing some materials for a blue/black milling deck. It's my first attempt at one of these so i hope it's going to work!
    Check out these lists for the Pauper meta http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#online

These are the two Pauper decks I run:
    Grixis Death Metal
    Rhystic Tron

And my Modern Deck:
    RoboTron

Check out these lists for the Pauper meta http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#online

Grixis Death Metal
    Rhystic Tron

And my Modern Deck:
    RoboTron
    Wowa that's some big things happening in the RoboTron deck. How does it cope with aggro?

This is the milling-type deck I have taped together:
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manic-scribbles/

It's purpose is to get the Manic Scribes out, mill myself to get the delirium active, defend with all defenders and then go to town with milling the opponent. When there's a bunch of land cards in the graveyards the Centaur Vinecrasher can become beastly, although honestly I have yet to trample someone to death with those. Most of the time the milling is a greater threat than my creatures. The deck is not doing too well at this point, it seems to get countered very easily (by Learn From The Past for example) and I have no sustain for life whatsoever.

Today I did have a fun combo with the Wild-Field Scarecrows, the Forgotten Creation and the Centaur Vinecrasher. Late game I sacrificed the Scarecrows, fetched the four lands adding up to the lands I had already saved in my hand and drew 6 new cards on my upkeep due to the Forgotten Creation's ability and made the Centaur Vinecrasher that much stronger. Fun times.

My other decks are pretty much simple beatdown ones so it's fun to play this deck in a different playstyle. It's way harder to play it in comparison. Maybe that's also why it hasn't done too well just yet.

Blog Entries

Grixis Death Metal
    Rhystic Tron

And my Modern Deck:
    RoboTron
    Wowa that's some big things happening in the RoboTron deck. How does it cope with aggro?

This is the milling-type deck I have taped together:
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manic-scribbles/

It's purpose is to get the Manic Scribes out, mill myself to get the delirium active, defend with all defenders and then go to town with milling the opponent. When there's a bunch of land cards in the graveyards the Centaur Vinecrasher can become beastly, although honestly I have yet to trample someone to death with those. Most of the time the milling is a greater threat than my creatures. The deck is not doing too well at this point, it seems to get countered very easily (by Learn From The Past for example) and I have no sustain for life whatsoever.

Today I did have a fun combo with the Wild-Field Scarecrows, the Forgotten Creation and the Centaur Vinecrasher. Late game I sacrificed the Scarecrows, fetched the four lands adding up to the lands I had already saved in my hand and drew 6 new cards on my upkeep due to the Forgotten Creation's ability and made the Centaur Vinecrasher that much stronger. Fun times.

My other decks are pretty much simple beatdown ones so it's fun to play this deck in a different playstyle. It's way harder to play it in comparison. Maybe that's also why it hasn't done too well just yet.
    Counters, Chalice of the Void, Oblivion Stone and Ugin all help vs aggro but, aggro is the weakest match-up for the deck.

This is the deck in action. Well, a version of it that runs pretty much the same cards as mine with a few differences.

For your deck, if you really wanna mill I'd suggest Curse of the Bloody Tome and Jace's Erasure would help.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

Question Magic: The Gathering Eldritch Moon

So who's going to the prerelease this weekend? What are your thoughts on this set? Better or worse than Shadows over Innistrad?

Blog Entries

Probably should be in General gaming (We have a magic thread in there)

I don't go to prereleases, as I do the vast majority of my playing online. I am excited for Eldritch moon as two of my decks are going to be trying some new cards out. I'm looking at Imprisoned in the Moon for my Mono Blue Tron, Spontaneous Mutation and Wretched Gryff for my Pauper Rhystic Tron deck.

What do you think of Bedlem Reveler for Delver decks? Do you think it has the potential to be a Treasure Cruise + Body consistently enough?

Blog Entries

I think he can work well as a 2 of. I'd love to play Grixis Delver in Modern but I I can't shell out the money for it. I haven't played Delver in anything for a while now.

I played Grixis Delver at the WMCQ in Birmingham, didn't do too well but it's a fun deck with lots of play to it. I had to borrow the Scalding Tarn's and a couple of snapcasters from a friend but other than that I was set.

Blog Entries

I just stick with mono blue tron. I may get Affinity some day. I play Grixis in Pauper and EDH.