Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Impurity View Post
    So who's going to the prerelease this weekend? What are your thoughts on this set? Better or worse than Shadows over Innistrad?
    I went 0-2 drop, but the set seems fun. Better than most recent sets. I like complicated sets where the archetypes aren't braindead obvious. The first Innistrad block was basically the best draft format I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President
    Wowa that's some big things happening in the RoboTron deck. How does it cope with aggro?
    Rather poorly sometimes. It's not a great deck if your metagame is heavy aggro. My metagame is often heavy on midrange and other control decks, and U-Tron is great for that. One reason Tron is fun is because every game is a puzzle called "How can I stay alive for a few more turns?". The recent printing of Spatial Contortion helped a lot; we used to have to eat 4 damage from Dismember when playing aggro, which wasn't ideal.

The Affinity matchup is OK; if they go for the make-one-guy-huge plan, you can Repeal them all day long, and Hurkyl's Recall is a good card. Burn is so-so depending on how fast of a draw they get. I usually do well vs Bogles and Infect although logic says I shouldn't. (Chalice of the Void is a pretty good card, it turns out.) Merfolk is basically unwinnable, so hope no one plays that. I like Aetherize in the sideboard in many matchups.

One sad thing is that RG Tron recently went from an even matchup to nearly unbeatable, because of all the stupid on-cast triggers from the recent Eldrazi. =/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post

One sad thing is that RG Tron recently went from an even matchup to nearly unbeatable, because of all the stupid on-cast triggers from the recent Eldrazi. =/
    Ugh I hate Eldrazi. I feel dirty using Ulamog's Crusher in Rhystic Tron and I'll be adding in Wretched Gryff once EMN hits.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    For your deck, if you really wanna mill I'd suggest Curse of the Bloody Tome and Jace's Erasure would help.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I looked at both those cards when planning/buying my cards but eventually chose the 1 mana costing mill cards like tome scour, shriekhorn and dream twist just because they can start the mill on turn one and i can use them on myself to help trigger delirium for the manic scribes. Also i play 3-way free for all a lot with my two housemates and i think curse of the bloody tome would be less optimal for that. As for jace's erasure, i did order that card (thought only 1 was available) to run it alongside the Honden of Seeing Winds and Honden of Night's Reach, but those shrines are just too slow to get rolling and i opted for more defenders instead.

I also don't like eldrazi. Being colourless just makes them a soulless additions to the game for me. Devoid as a mechanic is just as lame imo, i just really like the colours and their themes.

My housemates and i will draft eldritch moon next week!

Blog Entries

I love artifacts so, I can't hate on them being colorless. But, their ETB effects and sheer power are just crazy and can be GG just for playing them. I suppose same can be said for a lot of Plainswalkers too.

I love artifacts so, I can't hate on them being colorless. But, their ETB effects and sheer power are just crazy and can be GG just for playing them. I suppose same can be said for a lot of Plainswalkers too.
    Ooh I guess I worded my last comment wrong. I love artifacts too even though they are colourless but it makes sense because they're material I guess. Colourless creatures or sorceries just don't appeal to me.

Edit: My housemate plays black discard with Despise, Duress and sacrificable Black Cats and it's the most annoying thing
    Last edited by Pete for President; 07-19-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Blog Entries

lol, I use Duress in my Grixis Pauper deck. Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek are worse though. I use Warping Wail and Spacial Contortion in Mono Blue Tron which are none artifact colorless spells since the Urza lands tap for colorless mana.

All of those discard cards are nasty

Here's a mono white aura deck I've been working on. I haven't actually obtained the Mesa Enchantress and Bonds of Faith cards yet but they will arrive next week. Eventually I want to replace the Lagonna Band Trailblazers with more Favored Hoplites. It's got a pretty silly mana curve but with some card drawing spells I think it should be ok!

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-white-auras-4/
    Last edited by Pete for President; 07-20-2016 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Forgot link ;D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post

Here's a mono white aura deck I've been working on. I haven't actually obtained the Mesa Enchantress and Bonds of Faith cards yet but they will arrive next week. Eventually I want to replace the Lagonna Band Trailblazers with more Favored Hoplites. It's got a pretty silly mana curve but with some card drawing spells I think it should be ok!

I would try and consolidate down some of the 1 of's, and check out Ethereal Armor.

I would try and consolidate down some of the 1 of's, and check out Ethereal Armor.
    Thanks! I should probably get some of those!

Last time we drafted SOI I managed to scavenge lots of wolves/werewolves but never turned it into anything. I had a mono red haste aggro deck lying around, tore it apart and combined half of it with the werewolves and I had so much fun playing it last night. The transform mechanic is so much fun, and i basically only rock instants and enchantments with flash so i am able to skip turns and transform them. We are drafting eldritch moon next week so here's hoping for some wolf related cards!

Blog Entries

Thanks! I should probably get some of those!

Last time we drafted SOI I managed to scavenge lots of wolves/werewolves but never turned it into anything. I had a mono red haste aggro deck lying around, tore it apart and combined half of it with the werewolves and I had so much fun playing it last night. The transform mechanic is so much fun, and i basically only rock instants and enchantments with flash so i am able to skip turns and transform them. We are drafting eldritch moon next week so here's hoping for some wolf related cards!
    I've yet to do any drafting, I play Modern, Pauper and EDH/Commander. The best flip card is Delver of Secrets of course

Delver of Secrets looks powerful indeed! But for $3 here in New Zealand I'm not going to buy any

Our Eldritch Moon fat pack for drafting should arrive tomorrow, I can't wait Really hoping to find an Ulrich of the Krallenhorde in there for my wolves thing.

Do any of you guys play on Android? I haven't downloaded the game on there yet but could do if any of you guys are up for games.

Did the draft thing last night. Opened an insane pack containing both a Decimator of the Provinces (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=414291) and a foil Grim Flayer (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=414489). The Grim Flayer was probably worth a lot more but I could only choose one before passing it on and chose the boar instead.

Blog Entries

Nice! I'd love to try drafting out. I've been thinking of maybe picking up a box of Dragons of Tahrkir to draft with Bri.

Blog Entries

Oh, and if you're interested in Milling and getting into Pauper check this deck out: TurboFog Mill

Drafting is a lot of fun! We have been going with 3 booster packs each to pass along and make 40 card decks, but i would actually recommend going for a few more packs and make 60 card decks. With 40 the games were kinda repetitive.

That mill deck is really cool for having barely any creatures. I might make an experiment like that here!