Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Grin Magic: The Gathering

I created this thread to talk about the oldest and most succesful TCG in the world.
    You can freely share your opinion about it here.

I'm going to invest in it soon, because I'm an TCG/CCG maniac and this game seems very interesting to me, especially after playing Yu-Gi-Oh! and Duel Masters. :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's something special about Magic that makes it such an enduring game. I actually just picked up some cards to teach my fiance how to play, the new sets are pretty cool.

The video games are great as well and I recommend them to any EoFFer interested in learning.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I bought a few starter packs and boosters last week, actually. I played it with some borrowed decks some weeks before that.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to play it a lot but I kinda sucked.

I always liked the Pokemon TCG a big better, but it's hard to rival the sheer scope of Magic.

Still have some cards, though. Including a two-player core game. Even got my wife to play it

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

send me your cards if you don't play anymore.

bring them with you to london next year!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know of I'll make it!

And I don't know if I want to get rid of them, they have sentimental value!

Also, if I wanted to get rid of them, Id sell them for some good Gil

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

i'll give you many gils for them

@Mirage - It's great to know a fellow MTG player! May the Magic be with you!
    @Fynn - I'm gonna play it casually, I hate tournament gaming, though I respect it. :P
    @Bolivar - It's great to play with your beloved one and I wish both of you all the best! May the Magic be with you!
    Last edited by Zanmato; 10-08-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I played a bit with my cousins and got swamped. I was more of a Yu-Gi-Oh kid growing up.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm sure in an alternate dimension I'm really into this but in this dimension I just don't have the time. Also Magic stole eestlinc from us and I'll never forgive it for that!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I'm sure in an alternate dimension I'm really into this but in this dimension I just don't have the time. Also Magic stole eestlinc from us and I'll never forgive it for that!
    Yeah, time can be cruel, haha! XD
    Anyway, it's good to play it from time to time, just for fun. ^^

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

In the 90's when it was a simpler game I'm sure it was great. I liked to collect some cards because they were cool themselves, but never played much. Now, there's soooo many different cards that do so many different things how can it even be possible to build any kind of competent deck when an opponent deck could have literally anything in it.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

My college roommate got me into MtG, and I played throughout the rest of college. I had a lot of fun, and even went to a States tournament with a homemade deck that did really well. After college, though, without a good friend to play with, I just lacked the time and energy to devote to it, and ended up selling many of my best cards to a fellow EoFFer.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    In the 90's when it was a simpler game I'm sure it was great. I liked to collect some cards because they were cool themselves, but never played much. Now, there's soooo many different cards that do so many different things how can it even be possible to build any kind of competent deck when an opponent deck could have literally anything in it.
    That can get crazy but at the end of the day, it's a game where every card breaks the rules so you're reading each one anyway to see what it does. There is some imbalance as to certain sets having more powerful cards but other than that, the major themes of red, black, blue, white and green have held constant.

They do account for that in official play, whether in tournaments or just Friday Night Magic. There are different formats and deck requirements, the most common of which limits your deck to cards from the last two expansion cycles and the last core set. That makes it a lot easier to understand the metagame and what decks and play styles are in fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    That can get crazy but at the end of the day, it's a game where every card breaks the rules so you're reading each one anyway to see what it does. There is some imbalance as to certain sets having more powerful cards but other than that, the major themes of red, black, blue, white and green have held constant.

They do account for that in official play, whether in tournaments or just Friday Night Magic. There are different formats and deck requirements, the most common of which limits your deck to cards from the last two expansion cycles and the last core set. That makes it a lot easier to understand the metagame and what decks and play styles are in fashion.
    Are they gonna make some replacement of Core Sets (which are gone already) for beginners? Because The Deck Builder's Toolkit was a pretty good thing, at least to me. :P