Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course, & proud of it!

10 38.46%
  • Yeah

3 11.54%
  • Um... I guess... maybe a little...

5 19.23%
  • Define nerd! OK, now define it using a definition that doesn't describe me!

1 3.85%
  • Would I be here if I wasn't?

7 26.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a nerd

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Are you a nerd

Well?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Psshhhh not at all

Now excuse my while I marathon Suikoden while updating my video game character tournament and then go write a Final Fantasy article about a boy and his chocobo

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Shorty is ready to smack any nerds down who dare vote no.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Shorty is ready to smack any nerds down who dare vote no.
    belonging to this forum makes everyone here a nerd and I'll not hear otherwise

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

:monster:

It isn't possible to for there to be a ''no'' option.

If this was fansite was for a certain other franchise, it'd be called Nerdsylvania.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nah, I'm one of the cool kids.

-bitch smacked by Sarah-

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

When I lost my cool kid image I guess I migrated into one.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I have never nerded a day in my life and I resent these unfounded accusations.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

What even is a nerd these days? For the past few years just about anything to do with nerd culture is being spewed everywhere at an alarming rate. All you have to do to sell anything is simply to say, "Hey...remember this thing from the 80s or 90s?" Granted I am happy to see some things that I am into get the recognition it deserves, but on the other hand it is getting a bit old to see everyone fall over themselves to proclaim how nerdy they are, especially when you see people claim nerd cred that would bully others in social situations for simply being into a comic book, video game, etc.

Again, the flip side of that is having people gain more acceptance, but much like the explosion of rock a few decades ago, the movement is becoming more artificial and corporate day by day. There seems to be a focus on building a franchise or universe instead of simply making a unique stand alone project. I feel that sooner or later, the cracks in the armor will start to show.

There is nothing wrong with being a huge fan of stuff or reflecting on stuff for decades past. But it just irritates me to see sites, YouTube channels, and everything under the sun post a few old toys, 3 frame gifs from a TV show or movie, and drop painfully obvious lingo. And people eat it up. Everyone acts like they just won a million dollars because they saw Spider-Man for the billionth time or they remembered that Ocarina of Time was released in 1998.

I remember when I first saw the change. It was one of the advantages of having a sister about a decade younger than me. In late junior high and high school, I noticed her and all her peers were flaunting their more nerdy interests, but it wasn't confined to a lunch table or the obscure Japanimation club. People on the highest totem pole were carrying on about their Invader Zim fanfiction. Again, I am happy that interests got the recognition they deserve, but what concerned me, even back then, is how...soulless the whole thing is.

It's like people are only into stuff out of obligation at this point. Another Marvel movie came out. Let's go see it. Better be there at the midnight release or you aren't the king/queen of the nerds. Hey, better take that Facebook quiz because people absolutely have to know what Disney character you are most like. The 12th iteration of a video game franchise came out. Better pick it up on day one and get all the preorder BS that came with it. Oh, what's that? Another Steam Sale? Better carry on about Lord Gaben and your wallet and then add more games you'll never touch to your Steam library. Oh hey, here's another episodic TV show to never shut up about. What? Another character died again and/or there was a twist at the end of an episode. Wow. This is the first time this has happened in television history. Better go online and brag about how I'm better than everyone else because I didn't go to a club and binge watched a series on Netflix. Hey, am I part of the cool nerd club yet? What's that in your pocket over there? Is that the ticket in? Should I take more pointless quizzes on Buzzfeed? Should I watch more gifs?! HELP, I NEED TO SEE 7 MORE DC TV SHOWS!!!

I'm not really sure what the main point of this post is other than things are just wearing thin for me. It might be the mood I am in at the moment, or I just might be burned out on how other people react to things without seemingly thinking for themselves. I mean, I'm very much guilty of the things I criticized myself. I'm sure I'll get into more "nerdy" things in the future, as well. So yeah, I guess I am just burned out.

Crap, gotta get to work. No time to proof read so if there is a mustard or two, that's why.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I currently spend 90% or more of my daytime in front of a computer. Mostly doing nothing except obsessing over the fictional stories and characters I love. Yep, I'd call myself a nerd.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't really think about it. I just like doing things...everything actually. Some of them would be classed as nerdy, some of them wouldn't.

I don't have time for lables, too much adventure to be had!

To be honest, I'm more Geek than Nerd (based on my current interests), but sometimes I'm so Nerdy inside, hahaha! :P

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I was going to come up with something witty, but I looked down and saw that I was wearing a T-Shirt with a bunch of Marvel characters playing Poker.