Thread: Turn-Based Combat

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree - that is essentially the point I was trying to make in the article I did a while ago.

And even though BD really exceeded SE's expectations on the West, there's still a huge difference between how console games are received and handhelds.

I think that a lot of Final Fantasy fans worry far too much about this kind of thing.

ANY combat system can be good if you do it right.

I honestly couldn't care less what system they choose for the VII remake, as long as it's done WELL.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

What's the moral part of this question btw?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Turn-based combat is a moral thing to do, Mirage. This is entirely a moral issue.

No turn based = no buy for me.

I expect Genesis at the very least too. Nomura has already confirmed story changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    If Bravely Default has taught us anything, it's that non-ATB turn-based combat can be fast, exciting, and well-received.
    True, but listening to Nomura and Kitase, it sounds to me like they want to move away from Turn Base if they could. Hell even Ito said that he felt the medium would eventually become an Action-RPG series, though he also said in the same interview that he feels ATB has more room to grow...

I'm not saying Turn Base is bad or dead, but from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to evolve the current systems rather than retread the old. I feel it's one of the reasons why SE has been mentioning that traditionalist should be looking towards the HD Remaster because I'm sure the VII remake will have more in common with more recent entries than the original in terms of game design.
    Why would traditionalists be looking forward to the HD remaster if they're moving away from traditional systems? Apparently SE should be saying "if you enjoyed this game years ago, stay the hell away, because we're changing everything about it".
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

#NoATBNoBuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    If Bravely Default has taught us anything, it's that non-ATB turn-based combat can be fast, exciting, and well-received.
    True, but listening to Nomura and Kitase, it sounds to me like they want to move away from Turn Base if they could. Hell even Ito said that he felt the medium would eventually become an Action-RPG series, though he also said in the same interview that he feels ATB has more room to grow...

I'm not saying Turn Base is bad or dead, but from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to evolve the current systems rather than retread the old. I feel it's one of the reasons why SE has been mentioning that traditionalist should be looking towards the HD Remaster because I'm sure the VII remake will have more in common with more recent entries than the original in terms of game design.
    Why would traditionalists be looking forward to the HD remaster if they're moving away from traditional systems? Apparently SE should be saying "if you enjoyed this game years ago, stay the hell away, because we're changing everything about it".
    Agreed.

SE is out to destroy your childhood memories even more than George Lucas did...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post

Agreed.

We don't know that yet. People are grasping at straws to be terrified right now. Yes, they said they'd implement changes, but we don't know how they will look and to what extent they'll be there. They might work, and the original game will still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post

Agreed.

We don't know that yet. People are grasping at straws to be terrified right now. Yes, they said they'd implement changes, but we don't know how they will look and to what extent they'll be there. They might work, and the original game will still be there.
    WHY ARE ALL THE FF VETERANS SO SCARED OF CHANGE?!

What would be the point of making the game again if they weren't going to put a new spin on it?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are two versions of the game being released soon. The Remake and the HD Remaster of the original that was announced last December. The HD Remaster is basically an HD port of the PC Steam version from what I gather.

I'm also just basically quoting Nomura on all of this. He hasn't said how the remake will be different from the original but he did say that if you were just hoping for the original game with modern FF graphics, you're better off just getting the HD remaster because the remake will be changing things. Kitase mentioned in an interview a few years back that if he did do a remake of VII he would implement changes as he does feel VII has elements that haven't aged well or simply wanted to change things he decided in hindsight didn't work too well. Both have basically said that a VII remake without changes would just be repetitious.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So it's kinda like what happened with FFIV - a GBA port and soon after a DS remake that changed the game substantially.

From that interview:
    "I think if it came down to that, then there’d be no reason in doing a remake, and while it may be difficult, we’re already prepared to doing it right if we’re going to do it at all."

If I had any faith that Square still knew what "doing it right" meant, I'd be all on board.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Problem is that we've seen the "new" vision of FF7 in the Compilation, and it sucks. It never even came close to recapturing the FF7 feel. Every new character they added was garbage, the action battle systems were horrendous. Limits in Crisis Core were luck based for crying out loud.

It's 100% style and 0% substance.

The best Remake ever was the Resident Evil Remake. It gave us better graphics, better voice acting, and tweaked the mechanics. Adding a few puzzles, changing the house layout a bit, rebalancing the difficulty etc. All of these things are fine.

What isn't fine is shoehorning in new characters into iconic scenes(**** Genesis being in the reactor), ret-conning scenes to match later material, and turning a game from a turn based RPG to an Action RPG. That's BS, and a slap in the face to the original fans.

Besides guys, SE has already tried this before and the resulting product was horrendous. I speak of none other than the Lufia 2 remake...

Agreed.

You re-imagine a game that has strong concepts that it can't execute well. Like Final Fantasy VIII.

You re-make a game that is incredibly strong overall, but held back by technical limitations. Like Final Fantasy VII.

Re-imagining FFVII is going to utterly ruin everything that made the game great to begin with.