Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turn-Based Combat

Articles
    Blog Entries

A number of FFVII's elements haven't aged well and need updating. Its game design, however, is not one of them. The unsurpassed pacing is why so many still hold it as the greatest game of all time. The combat is the most fluid and responsive the series has ever had. People want a game remade because they want to play it again, but with all the bells and whistles that can bring it to life like never before.

The whole "go play the remaster" attitude works both ways. Why not just make a new game?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

There are two versions of the game being released soon. The Remake and the HD Remaster of the original that was announced last December. The HD Remaster is basically an HD port of the PC Steam version from what I gather.
    Calling it a HD port is stretching it. Stretching it a lot.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

As in, all they did was stretch the aspect ratio and native resolution?

If the system will be done properly, it doesn't matter if it's turn-based or real-time battle system.
    This series is changing, even radically, but it still has its climate and it's still our beloved Final Fantasy, right? :P
    We have to wait for the final product to judge it rightfully.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    As in, all they did was stretch the aspect ratio and native resolution?
    Zing

close, i guess. Combat will look better because that's in full 3D. On the field map we'll still have the same low res backgrounds with high res low-poly chibi characters.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

There are two versions of the game being released soon. The Remake and the HD Remaster of the original that was announced last December. The HD Remaster is basically an HD port of the PC Steam version from what I gather.
    Calling it a HD port is stretching it. Stretching it a lot.
    Those are Nomura's words, not mine my friend.

To be honest, it's not like you won't have the original to go back to. It may not be the remake people wanted but it was unrealistic to expect that once the game jumped from the ten year mark, especially for a game that will most likely make a lot of money on it's reputation alone. Granted, there is nothing really known about the remake anyway, so this whole worrying about "they changed it , now it sucks" may end up being for nothing. With that said, I do feel that a faithful remake of VII was not in the cards ever. They will change a few things but we won't know if it will be minor or major until we get more info. I still imagine the plot will be re-written somewhat to have better ties with the Compilation but that doesn't mean Genesis or Cissinei are going to be making cameos.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I freaking love turn-based combat and I hate that SE has abandoned it. It's one of the main reasons I fell in love with the Final Fantasy series in the first place.

If they announced a new major console FF with the classic turn-based combat (or even better, FFX-2's incarnation of it) I can't tell you how utterly thrilled I'd be.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    From that interview:
    "I think if it came down to that, then there’d be no reason in doing a remake, and while it may be difficult, we’re already prepared to doing it right if we’re going to do it at all."

If I had any faith that Square still knew what "doing it right" meant, I'd be all on board.
    I think the crux of the matter all comes down to this. Do you or don't you have faith that any changes are of the sort that will make the game better?

What I'm not a fan of is the 'this will ruin my childhood'. No matter how bad they f*** up a remake there is still always the original game to play.

Personally I don't have much faith in SE nowadays, so I remain skeptical. I guess it's wait and see.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I freaking love turn-based combat and I hate that SE has abandoned it. It's one of the main reasons I fell in love with the Final Fantasy series in the first place.

If they announced a new major console FF with the classic turn-based combat (or even better, FFX-2's incarnation of it) I can't tell you how utterly thrilled I'd be.
    FF13 is ATB, man. They haven't abandoned it.

I don't think they'll abandon it completely. I think they don't want the series to become stale and so they try something new every now and then. They tried something different with XII and now they're doing something different with XV. That doesn't necessarily mean XVI or any future games won't use a Turn-Based combat system or variant thereof. As has been said, XIII used ATB. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to alternate between ATB and other combat systems.

My own personal preference... I like turn-based games. It's how I started Final Fantasy, and it's what got me into the series. But I do appreciate the need or want to expand one's horizons and be innovative. That's why I have no issue with XII's MMO-style combat or XV's action system. Turn-based may have gotten me into Final Fantasy, but that doesn't mean I think the series should be restricted to it, or that I want the series to be restricted to it. I just want a good game with a fun world to muck around in, and I'm happy with that.

Nomura indicated that the story in the remake might deviate from the one set out in the original, suggesting the remake may be more of a reimagining.

I think the bold is the problem. People asked for a REMAKE, Square advertised a REMAKE. We are getting a reimagining with major story and gameplay changes instead. That is total bs, and not what was wanted or what was promised.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    FF13 is ATB, man. They haven't abandoned it.
    True, but when I think of turn-based I'm thinking more in the "control each and every one of my characters one at a time, a turn for each character".

Yes, FFXIII and even XIV are still technically turn-based. XV on the other hand seems to have done away with it completely.
    I like Kung-Fu.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

FF14 isn't really turn based. You can enter commands in between "turns" at any point you want.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I like the turned based play, then again, I love the vintage play of JRPG's

Blog Entries

I enjoy turn based when it's done right. FFVII and VIII come to mind although I hate drawing magic.