Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVAST, AN FFV NEWBIE APPEARS!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

There is a fifth. But since you can change your jobs whenever, having a big party isn't necessary.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    From what I understand, the Advance translation is akin to Woolsey's works. The PSX localization is much truer to the original while the GBA translation inserted a lot of whackiness and humor that wasn't there before.

This is just what I've heard, mind.
    Quite the other way around actually. The PS1 version based it's script off Woosely's unfinished script for the game back when they were planning to release it on the SNES.

While the Tom Slattery localization adds jokes in places that weren't there, I was always given the impression it was due to replacing humor that was out of context for English speakers like word puns that only work in Japanese. Honestly FFV isn't exactly dark and is one of the more lighthearted entries so the humor never felt out of place. Of anything, Slatery's version gives more justice to the characters as the PS1 script makes them caricatures while the Slattery one gives them more personality.

Anyway, I got a question. How many playable characters are there in this game? 'cuz it just struck me that I have never heard of a single FFV character not named Bartz, Faris, Galuf or that other one. Lenna or Leena. No, it's probably Lenna. Leena is in that other JRPG.

But yeah, four characters is pretty paltry. I hope there's a lot more than that.
    Five playable characters but there are quite a few NPCs as well. V isn't exactly a story driven game like IV and VI are. It still has great characters and a good story but don't go in expecting better writing than IV.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Not quite. I am going to start it Friday when i get paid. I'm just gonna buy it off PSN and play it on my PS3, which is another reason i favored the PS1 version.

As for the earlier question about how far I've made it in the game in the past...I have no idea, really. I think I got to the first town after you find the first crystal and get your first set of Jobs. That is as far as I have ever gotten. Of course, I already know the Big Bad is Exdeath, Galuf dies and....uh...that's it, really. Oh and Gilgamesh. I don't know what Galuf's deal is, or who or what Exdeath is, or anything specific like that.

I don't know what's going on with that meteor at the start of the game or ay of that.
    aw, the best/worst bit is spoiled for you already. Galuf dying.

Reina huh? I wonder if that's right or if it's just some Japanese rangauge going on.

I like the SUCCESS written at the top of the screen after battles.

Galuf: Great! Who's idea was it anyhow to steal a @#* PIRATE SHIP?!?!?

Whoa Galuf, watch the language. This isn't an FFVII, this is a kids-friendly game. I enjoy the plethora of punctuation marks though.

Oh dear the four crystals are in great danger, who could have ever seen this coming. Let me guess, our intrepid heroes will arrive JUST a second too late to save each one of them, resulting in the end of the world which is only narrowly averted by killing the final boss.

Ever notice our heroes can never actually succeed or win at anything of substance until the very end of the game? In fact, in pretty much everY FF game, our heroes are directly responsible for the world ending in the first place.

I can't wait to see how Bartz and co. bungle things. Maybe they're like "you know..this X-Death guy? He doesn't seem so bad. We can trust him."

FINAL FANTASY!

So if I'm remembering right, Faris is Reina's or Lenna's or whatever's sister. Awful nice of Spirit Dad not to say anything to her.

Okay I thought about it and these Jobs felt the most right to me.

Bartz: Thief. This guy is not the Warrior type. He's certainly no Knight.
    Reina: White Mage. Kinda tailor-made for the role, to be honest.
    Galuf; Black Mage. Old vaguely mystical guy who knows stuff but can't remember. He's Tellah and thus should have powerful magic.
    Faris: Knight. It was either this or Monk. I'm not really satisfied with either choice for her but I didn't have a lot of options at the moment. I just figure, she had a shield, and she would have had to be really strong and tough to make it a as a pirate captain. Thus she should have the Job that is the strongest and toughest.

A rather humorous way to reveal Faris' sex. Although, Bartz and Galuf keep calling her "he"...

The tentacle boss thing in the canal was pretty simple. Galuf's Bolts spells wrecked it. Although, I'm curious. How useful is Stealing in this game? Do bosses only have one item to steal?Like that boss only had a Tonic, not exactly an item worth wasting turns over trying to get.

Poor Hydra... I hope he's still alive.

Wait...they didn't realize Faris was a woman? I thought that was the whole point of them being stupid and getting hearts above their heads after looking at her sleeping. I'm so confused.

I suppose I should mention I'm I'm loving the fact this game gives you oodles and oodles of "GP." I can't remember having this much money so easily in an RPG in a long time. Of course I've been playing a lot of Western RPGs and they're stupid about this sort of thing. What do you mean shopkeepers don't have infinite money and supplies????

Alas poor Galuf died against Siren. Her Squeeze move did like 100 damage and he was just a few points too low. I didn't go into the battle at full HP or MP so that didn't help. I used up the one Phoenix Down I found when she killed Reina. Oh well. I have so much damn money that I'm not really worried.

Everyone is Level 9 and has Level 3 of their Job. Well, except Faris. Knight takes way more ABP for whatever reason. She's only at 40/50.

What does ABP do anyway? Like, Bartz is learning abilities, but the others all just get "Black/White/Guard Level 2" and I don't get it. Is that like Fira or Cura?

I think this is a good place to stop and post. 4 hours in, having a good time. The music for the Ship Graveyard was pretty cool.

Favorite character at present is Faris.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

White magic lv2 means you can get lv2 white magic when you set "white" as a command for a different job. When you are "maining" the job, you get all magic levels regardless of how many levels you have in the job.

Each line of spells in the menu corresponds to one level of magic. Black lv1 is fire ice thunder, black lv2 is uh... poison and some other trash i don't remember. black lv3 is fire 2 ice 2 thunder 2.

If you know Fire 2, but only have black lv2 learned, that character can not get access to fire 2 if you set !Black as a sub ability when you are a knight or a white mage.

I usually make galuf a monk in the beginning, then change to a mage when he learns barehanded.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually FFV is probably the first FF where stealing is practical since it's the first game to allow you to actually steal the rarer items a monster may drop. There are also quite a few pieces of equipment and gear you can get really early if you steal from enemies. Some bosses have great gear (Gilgamesh and Twin Tania for instance) but others might have common items. Still, stealing is pretty useful overall.

ABP is basically the points you gain to level up your jobs and get new skills/abilities to use for sub-jobs. Knight gives your character the ability to equip knight exclusive gear and the sword ability also gives the character a knight's strength. Mages give your non-mage characters the ability to use the different levels of magic as Mirage explained, Thief teaches thieving and exploring skills, Monk gives powerful monk skills and HP boosts. Mastering a job not only gives you all their abilities to use for sub-jobs but Freelancer and Mime gain access to many of their support skills and the positive stat boosts from the job as well for each mastered job.

The plot starts off pretty basic at first but it will get more interesting as time goes on. If you've played FFIV... well yeah the search for the crystals is only the beginning.

But that seems kind of cheap though and defeats the whole point of Classes to begin with.

I mean, I guess functionally a Knight with White Magic abilities could be a Paladin, but "combinations" sounds kinda broken. You're gaining all the strengths with none of the weaknesses.

I'm a Knight and physical tank but I have all the best magic abilities and can just destroy you with Fire 3 or whatever.

FFIV would have been a lot easier if Tellah had a lot more defense and health, basically.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That only applies to Freelancer and Mime, and you still need to master the classes to get those bonuses which is far more time consuming than you would think so it balances itself out.

You can give white magic to a Knight but you really would just get Cecil with his crappy white magic. The reason why is because the Job Classes raise certain stats and lower others, so giving magic to a knight makes him a more flexible fighter but his MP pool and magic stat will always be significantly lower than a proper mage because his class gives penalties to magic focused stats. In truth it's generally better to give skills and abilities from similar style classes to each other than trying to build a better Red Mage. Berserker is a powerful physical class in it's own right but giving it the Knight's Two-Handed ability makes it one of the best damage dealers in the game. Likewise Ninja's are awesome for having Dual-Wield but it's better in the hands of a Knight who has access to the strongest weapons in the game. That's how how I generally approach it but everyone has their own way of doing it so just experiment and see what works best for your play-style.

Yes, Freelancer and Mime have the potential to be the strongest classes in the game, but it requires tons of grinding to do so and frankly you can finish the game without resorting to it. In a way, it feels similar to FFIII where the Onion Knight is the best and worst job in the game depending on whether you bother hunting down the equipment and grinding to lv.99.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

job mastering is kind of like stat maxing, really. Also, you still don't get *all* the traits of the mastered jobs. Some passive abilities that you get automatically when you are the actual job would still require you to manually set the skill in one of the few available slots if you want it to work on a freelancer.
    I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty sure Freelancer got most of them except the equipment passive but since the class can equip everything from the go it';s a moot point. I know Mime definitely has to use the Equip Item abilities because they can't naturally use Knight Swords and stuff which is why the Freelancer class is always chosen for the famous Dual-Wield/Spellblade/X-Fight combo.

Yeah, according to this, Freelancer gets all innate skills except three of them and two are from the Advance version.

Hm...well I guess the idea is you sort of create your own custom class in a way. That does sound interesting. Once I get to the next crystal and have more jobs to choose from, I'll try and give it a shot.

I have no intention of ever maxing everything though. I want everyone to have firmly defined and unique roles.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Can freelancer use ribbon without the equip skill?

Also I kept meaning to put it in my "update" but Bartz apparently had a dad who was some sort of crystal guardian or something too.

Awful lot of coincidences happening in this game. Or maybe it's..... FATE?

You know, the giant evil supercomputer.

Ah, the fifth party member is Gogo, right? Ironically I've heard more about him from FFVI which he is apparently in for some reason.

Reina is all self-sacrificing sweet innocent princess lady, poisoning herself to save Dragon. She is totally White Mage to the core. I might take her down the White Mage/Summoner route a la Garnet and Yuna but we'll see.

Got my first game over. At Walz Castle and a guard said there's great treasure down in teh dungeon. I go down to explore and a random encounter, a Harpy, does like 500 damage to everyone. Yeah....

Okay I went back down to the dungeon again. Apparently those things are Level 20. No wonder I never stood a chance. Nevertheless, I got First Strike on it and managed to steal a Hard Body item. Also I ran for the treasure chest right by the entrance and got an Elf Cloak accessory or "Relic." That's cool. Now I just gotta run my ass outta here.

Exploiting the crystal's power huh? That is what's supposed to have shattered it?I don't remember them saying a thing about that till now. Oh well. Also Garula just attacked everyone. That kid needs to be put in line.

Aww...Hydra was alive but only long enough to keep us from dying. That's kinda sad, and contrived.

But now I have all these new Jobs to choose from! But i kinda feel like I should at least learn the next level of my current Job before changing things up. Sorcerer and Time Mage sound interesting and useful.

Well this is an unexpected development. First there's an inexplicable warp thing then I go to this new town to restock on items and see what new stuff they have to buy and I get thrown in a dungeon out of nowhere.... Aren't all the kingdoms of this place affiliated with each other? The Walz King new Reina. Surely this other king must know her too and thus won't let her good budy and protector Bartz rot in a dungeon.

Huh, so Cid ruined the world by creating this amplifier for the crystals. FFV Cid and FFVI Cid are mad scientists who helped set the world on the path to ruin, just like FFXII Cid. Well, FFVIII Cid also screwed a lot of people over but that was less because he was a scientist and more because he was just incompetent. Headmaster Cid wasn't even a scientist or inventor! Worst Cid confirmed. But yes, good thing the idiots came to their senses and called for us. Something tells me we'll be just a smidgeon too late.....again. Oh well.

Man I love Karnak. It has all the Level 2 spells and in the forest right nearby you get guaranteed encounters with five Wild Dogs which net you 625 GP a pop. And Galuf can kill them all with a Fire spell in one turn. Raking in that GP like nothing.

Hm, so this isn't some sort of environmental message. It's not the ruthless exploitation of the natural world that is destroying the world but an evil thing possessing people. Final Fantasy VIi this is not. Although, I guess you kinda had both of those in FFVII...oh well.

Another Crystal down, who could have ever predicted this would happen. You know, I think our "heroes" are really just failing on purpose because with each destroyed crystal they get new powers. I'm onto you, you bastards. Once all the crystals are destroyed and you have like 12 different super forms you can take over the world as demigods. Surprise twist ending, our heroes were the villains all along! That needs to happen in an FF game. It won't, but it should.

Anyway, stopping for now. I am like Level 15 or maybe 16, have up to Level 5 in each of my old Jobs. Maybe it's time to try out new things. Thief becoming Ninja is only natural of course so that will be Bartz's new job. . As for the others...well, Galuf will be Time Mage I think. Faris will be Sorcerer 'cuz it sounds cool and Reina will be Summoner or maybe Trainer. Trainer is like FFX-2, right? Using animals and stuff? Never actually used it in X-2.

As for the story, not much to say. More MYSTERY surrounding Galuf with no real answers, our heroes continue to fail, and now they just introduced "Werewolf" only to have him die immediately. Well, he's probably not dead, but our heroes think he did.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 07-05-2015 at 01:38 AM.