Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Help Thread!

Blog Entries

Default The Help Thread!

So I thought this would be a neat idea...

People can ask questions about cooking and if someone else knows how to help, they can answer!

Right now, I'm having trouble making alfredo sauce. I've successfully made it one time, but ever since then, the cream has separated and the parmesan cheese seized up... What am I doing wrong?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You're using cream.

I saw Martha Stewart make an Alfredo Sauce on TV a few weeks ago, & she doesn't use cream.

http://www.marthastewart.com/339763/...uccine-alfredo

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cream is more indulgent and in my opinion much better than any substitute though, and it's the traditional way so that's definitely not what you're doing wrong. If you're having trouble with things splitting, be it eggs or dairy, it's just a matter of the heat being too high and/or not stirring quickly enough. My favourite trick is just before and after you add in the cream to lift the pan up on an angle by the handle so it's resting on just a small part of its edge. This greatly reduces the amount of heat going to the pan, and really your butter should be hot enough that you don't need to be using the hob until the cream is combined. Aside from that just stir like a madman, you won't be in danger of overworking anything so just make sure you're constantly stirring. With the cheese, you can add it right at the end if you're worried, and once again just take it off the heat, your sauce will be hot enough to melt it.

Alternatively, for a better explained version of everything I said watch the Julia Child egg episode of her cooking show. Obviously she's doing bearnaise and hollandaise in that episode but the same tips apply for a regular cream sauce. Hope it helps

EDIT: Also, just as an aside, I find havarti cheese to be the best for any kind of sauce. Parmesan is good to add in moderation but as the base for a sauce it's a bit too strong for my liking, so you should definitely give havarti or a comparable cheese a try in the sauce itself, and once you've tossed it through your pasta or put it on a veg you can just grate some parmesan over the top.
    Last edited by Pheesh; 07-02-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You can also try a bain-marie method, too.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Summer squash.

I bought a bunch from the farmers market. I need more recipes to use it in. I made a goulash the other day. I also have speghettied them before as well as used them as a taco boat and as a replacement to noodle sin lasagna.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

How does one successfully fold a tortilla and have it not flop right open again? Same for omelettes.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Take your shell

Add your toppings

Fold the bottom up over your toppings

Push everything down under the shell leaving a little of the right free

Fold the right side over everything a little bit

Roll everything up

Working for Taco Bell a million years ago helped in life!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 6.png (2.3 KB, 72 view)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    How does one successfully fold a tortilla and have it not flop right open again? Same for omelettes.
    I assume you're using flour tortillas?

The trick is to warm them up in a dry skillet and then fold it over your filling.

Freya: Maybe try a gazpacho? It's a cold soup. You can throw in pretty much whatever you liek!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Does anyone have a consistent home-made mayo/aioli technique? I know how to make it but it's almost 50/50 whether it'll turn out well or not. I've tried the blender method and just the traditional whisk method, anyone have any tips?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The less substance I have filling the tortilla, the easier it is for me to fold. I always want to cram as much stuff in as is humanly possible, but it gets to be too much and a) I can't fold it or b) it just poops out the back end. Tuck your the tortilla in your fingers way into the roll as you're wrapping it and maybe it will stay!

I, too, prefer using cream in making alfredo sauces. The only trouble I had getting my parmesan to melt was when I lobbed it all in there at the same time to stir in. Now I break it up into fifths and stir each portion until completely melted.

Does anyone have a good mushroom sauce recipe? I'm making mushroom pork this week and I'd really like to not rely on pre-made cream of mushroom soup if I can help it!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have a glorious mushroom sauce!

I just chop up lots of mushrooms with garlic and let them sweat in a pan for a bit, I throw in a bit of veggie stock and once the flavours are coming together I'll pour in cream as it comes off the heat You can add white wine too! I haven't got exact measurements to help you with but it's real basic and delicious I often toss it through gnocchi but it could work with pork too

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Awesome, thanks babe! I just picked up some white cooking wine today, so that sounds perfect

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Does anyone have a consistent home-made mayo/aioli technique? I know how to make it but it's almost 50/50 whether it'll turn out well or not. I've tried the blender method and just the traditional whisk method, anyone have any tips?
    Food processor for the win. At work we make our own Caesar dressing and used to make aioli. You start with your eggs and garlic, or anchovies or whatever other ingredient that needs to be chopped up/mushed aside from herbs. The. Add your mustard or a touch of acid (lemon juice or red wine vinegar, whatever). Slowly, slowly pour your oil in. If using whole eggs you can go a little faster, otherwise be gentle. If it splits add ice water or hit it with acid and see if it comes back together. If all else fails, pour out the mixed liquid and start again with an egg and slowly add your old liquid to it. Most times it will save it. The mustard and or acid is key in emulsifying the fat into the mix.

I can make aioli/mayo/Caesar dressing like a pro but can't make hollandaise or bernaise sauces for my life. It is weird since they're nearly identical in technique.

Wisk attachment on food processor can work too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't have a food processor unfortunately. It's at the top our list along with a slow cooker, but we need the funds first

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Oh trout, the last line should say wisk attachment on stand mixer not food processor, lol.

Awwww, try low blender setting?