Thread: Rank the XIII Trilogy

Default Rank the XIII Trilogy

Just a mild curiosity of mine...

I have much better JRPGs to play but one day I might come back and play XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. I'm curious how they stack up to XIII, which I did play to completion and found...mediocre to disappointing.

Rank the games in the following categories:

Story

Characters

Music

Gameplay

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FF13:
    Story 3/5
    Characters: 2/5
    Music: 4/5
    Gameplay 3/5

FF13-2:
    Story: 1/5
    Characters: 3/5
    Music: 5/5
    Gameplay: 4/5

FF13-3:
    Haven't finished it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    FF13:
    Story 3/5
    Characters: 2/5
    Music: 4/5
    Gameplay 3/5

FF13-2:
    Story: 1/5
    Characters: 3/5
    Gameplay: 4/5

FF13-3:
    Haven't finished it.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

FF13:
    Story 4/5
    Characters 4/5
    Music 4/5
    Gameplay 3/5

FF13-2:
    Story 3/5
    Characters 4/5
    Music 5/5
    Gameplay 4/5

LR:
    Story 5/5
    Characters 4/5
    Music 5/5
    Gameplay 4/5

FFXIII
    Story: 3/5
    Characters: 3/5 - I initially hated Hope, Snow, and Sazh, but their character development eventually won them grudging respect from me. Especially after Sazh's arc with Vanille - I thought that was done rather well.
    Music: 4/5 - While I like most of the tracks across the board, gems like "Dust to Dust" really carry the soundtrack.
    Gameplay: 5/5

FFXIII-2
    Story: 3/5 - confusing at times, but very interesting.
    Characters: 2.9/5 - I liked Serah well enough but didn't care much for Noel or Yeul. Caius, however, was a fantastic villain. I almost wish the game was in his perspective.
    Gameplay: 4/5 - faster and more customizable than XIII, but the game itself was fairly easy. Paradigm Tuning was a nice touch and collecting monsters was pretty fun, but I felt that the monsters' AI wasn't nearly as efficient as the full party in XIII.

LR:FFXIII
    Story: 2.5/5 - I did enjoy the story well enough, but felt that the execution was severely lacking. A lot of really interesting ideas, but not put together well enough to truly make a comprehensible story - at least, not on the first run through the game. However, there were moments throughout the game that truly brought me back to the nostalgic days of FFXIII. Touched muh heart.

Characters: 2.9/5 - Well...you only control Lightning this time around and don't see nearly as much of other characters as much as XIII. The supporting cast feels strangely...off. The cast is definitely not as vibrant and bright as they appeared in the first game.

Ali Hillis's performance this time around delivered a much different Lightning than XIII and XIII-2. Lightning's emotions are muted to a somewhat frustrating degree during the first days of the story (though her emotions are supposed to be muted) until she finally begins opening up once again into the Lightning we're familiar with. Lumina is also an interesting character and I quite liked her pain-in-the-arse interruptions throughout the game.

Music: 5+/5 - absolutely wonderful. Whoever came up with the idea to use different composers for the four different continents was a genius. There's variety in all of the tracks; they're both sweeping and powerful; nostalgic and fresh; quiet and thoughtful; exciting and energetic...I could go on and on but I don't think I need to. Enough praise has been sung for LR's soundtrack. *-*

Gameplay: 5+/6 - the perfect evolution of the ATB formula. The combat is faster than any other game in the series bar perhaps Type-0; because the Yuji Abe embraced XIII's ARPG roots and ran with 'em. The result is that Lightning is honestly an Army of One - forget a party, she's all you'll need.

I've kinda got a thing for outfits and clothes, so the Schemata and equipment system was right up my alley. There is so much customization in this game, it's amazing. Different outfits and weapons are unlockable throughout the different modes, so aside from the combat being as stellar as it is, you'll have reason to play the game again. Replay value is great~

Okay, I need to stop, haha. Sorry for the long post! D:

Edit: All a decimal means is that it's somewhere between the two, or leaning towards one or the other.
    Last edited by SapientiaXIII; 07-07-2015 at 06:23 PM.

"A MAN WHO NEVER EATS PORK BUN IS NEVER A WHOLE MAN!"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

When you start using decimal points, the point of having a 5 point grading scale is lost
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FF XIII

Story 2/5

Characters 2/5

Music
    3/5

Gameplay
    1/5

Total : 8/20

FF XIII-2