View Poll Results: PS3 vs. PS4

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • PS3 - You already have a lot of games to play on it, get back to work.

2 22.22%
  • PS4 - No WK, you must enter the modern age so you can bitch about it!.

4 44.44%
  • Um... get a Wii U*quickly murdered by the other forum users*

1 11.11%
  • Wolf, you already have a PC, you must join the PC MASTER RACE!

1 11.11%
  • Reaganomics!

1 11.11%

Thread: PS3 or PS4

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default PS3 or PS4

So with my PS3 dead, my GF has offered to just give me hers because her roommate has converted her to Microsoft consoles and she's always been more of a PC gamer (she's the reason why I'm playing through my Steam account) but part of me think it would be easier to just buy a new PS3 since I still have several games I need to play through and I'm sure she'll miss the PS3 eventually. My other idea is to just save up and jump into the next generation of gaming. It's no secret I don't have much love for the PS3 but maybe the PS4 will bring me back to the Sony love. I also just feel like there are more exciting games coming out for the PS4 and the last two PS3 games I was looking forward to are being released on the PS4 as well so it's not like I would be missing out. On the other hand, while a PS4 is probably in my future, there is not a whole lot available at the moment to get me super excited to jump into the new console generation, and I really don't want to repeat my issues with the PS3 where I felt like I was waiting most of the time for all the cool games I was promised when it was first announced and mostly got transferred to its successor.

So which should I do? Should I just pick up a new PS3 and wait on the next generation to have a few more "must haves" before taking the plunge and maybe spend some time working on that backlog, or should I save my pennies and take the plunge to join modern gamers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Only thing I can really advise is to weigh the pros and cons of each and if it's a draw stick with Steam.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Both

I mean you don't really need both kidney's, right?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

From personal experience I'd say get a PS3. I mean my PS4 has just been used for Type-0 and Peggle and I'm still play my PS3 more. Or you could get a Vita.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Take a look at your financial situation. If it's going to take until November to save up for a PS4 it may be worth getting the much cheaper PS3 for now. If it's not too much of a struggle though you might as well upgrade instead of going back to something you don't play often. At the very least, it has potential for better games in the future combined with what you may be interested in now.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Why don't you accept the offer of a PS3 from your gf, play those games you need to while saving up for a PS4 and you can return it when she wants it back. Problem solved!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I would take Psy's advice, no reason you can't return the console to her. Also, the PS3 hasn't scaled down in price like a console in its 8th year probably should have, it's alot to pay for an old system you yourself admit you didn't like.

There's strong rumors PS4 will be even cheaper by the end of this year. It already had Bloodborne, Type-0, and a number of the best PS3 games running at higher resolutions and framerates. I'm not sure what PS3 games you're trying to play but I'd strongly recommend against the old versions of Uncharted or The Last of Us, for example. So borrow one from now then see what the lay off the land looks like in September. I also think you should do MGSV on PS4 as well - if it looks and plays like GZ did on PS4, it's going to be sublime.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If the PS4 just had backwards compatibility this would be a no brainer.

The two games I'm waiting for on PS3 are MGSV and Persona 5 but both have also been announced for PS4 so the new console would actually have at least two games this year and next year for me to jump into along with Type-0 and if SE ever decided to release the FFXV demo more openly.

On the other hand, Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming out this year as well for the Wii U...

I'll probably take my GF up on the offer to use her PS3 for the time being. So I may decide to save those pennies for a new console to pick up before the year is out. So PS4 or Wii U?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Why don't you accept the offer of a PS3 from your gf, play those games you need to while saving up for a PS4 and you can return it when she wants it back. Problem solved!
    This was my first thought. I'm not sure what the difficult decision is.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    If the PS4 just had backwards compatibility this would be a no brainer.

The two games I'm waiting for on PS3 are MGSV and Persona 5 but both have also been announced for PS4 so the new console would actually have at least two games this year and next year for me to jump into along with Type-0 and if SE ever decided to release the FFXV demo more openly.

On the other hand, Xenoblade Chronicles X is coming out this year as well for the Wii U...

I'll probably take my GF up on the offer to use her PS3 for the time being. So I may decide to save those pennies for a new console to pick up before the year is out. So PS4 or Wii U?
    Well the Wii U is backward compatable and has a very nice Virtual Console. Also Splatoon and Hyrule Warriors are really fun. And Zelda U or whatever they're going to call it, is looking really good.

I can understand Wolf's position. He doesn't want to burden anyone, he'll probably take forever on his PS3 collection, and wants his own stuff to do it in his own time. Getting a used PS3 is like $160 last I checked. Probably $200 or so for a new one. Wii U you can get refurbished for around $200. So they're in the same ballpark, I'm tempted to get a WiiU myself. And only for Xenoblade Chronicles X and Bayonetta. Which is sad

We have a PS4, and I love it, but right now the only thing I've really dug into was Bloodborne. I don't even think I played half of FFT-0. And I didn't beat the FFXV demo. All the other good stuff is on the horizon. Though Dragon Age Inquisition is inarguably better on the PS4. There's also a few stellar games I'm not digging into that I would likely love. The LotR Assassin's Creed game, and Witcher 3 for example. But those games will be there

If you're still interested in playing PS3 games, I'd probably look into fixing your console or replacing it. But if you don't think you'll be enjoying those games again soon, then probably the other options are better