Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I did that too!
    Squall: "If I jumped off the edge of a cliff, would you?"

Selphie: "I LOVE cliffs! I'd jump first!"

Squall: "Should have asked..."

Rest of party: "We would all jump!"

Squall: "..."

- GAME OVER -
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

It's funny, I agree entirely that the world map system is probably going to change for the reasons specified in the OP. But there is absolutely no reason for it to do so.

Game mechanics that worked in 1997 still work in 2015(ish). There seems to be this assumption from a lot of places (including I think sadly, from SE themselves) that you're going to have to change things because big Cloud/tiny towns would look silly. But we've already seen modern games utilise exactly this sort of scale change and nobody blinked an eye. In Mass Effect 2 and 3, you take control of a Normandy scaled to be larger than planets. You can fly around entire solar systems in seconds. Type-0 HD of course had a pretty typical (if barren) overworld. It's fine.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

mass effect is another good example. no one bats an eye at spaceships being bigger than entire planets. most people get that certain things are just not to scale because it's inconvenient.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think it'd be cool if they went the open-world route with it like a lot of modern day RPGs do now, but I don't want their reason for it to be because "Gamers don't like overworld maps now."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I think it'd be cool if the game had an auto-generation engine for every area of the world map. Zoom out and you're on the "fast travel" world map mode where you can run from town to town in not very many seconds, zoom in and you get a full "field" of things to see, detailed forests, visible encounters, really pretty rivers and mountains. The game could automatically gradually zoom in as you approached a town, for a seamless transition from "world map" to inside a town. That'd be fresh.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm really hoping they'll preserve the open world-map exploration of the original. Maybe they can re-scale everything to more realistic proportions - imagine walking around a life-size Midgar and viewing it from ground level.

There are only two slight problems with FFVII's world map from this point of view, though: (1) the cableway from Corel to the Gold Saucer, and (2) the rope bridges in the mountains around Wutai. If you imagine that the world map is drawn to scale, then those structures would each be hundreds of kilometres long in real life, which is manifestly absurd. There'll need to be some re-scaling in order for things like that to make sense.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn of Sephiroth View Post
    See Im ok with leaving it how it is in size of scale for the world map and then when you enter in a city resize to normal. Worked well on ps4 with type-0 hd so the overworld map scale size wouldnt bug me at all if it was the same as originally in 7.
    I also like the old way of doing the world map, there's no way SE/Nomura will do it that way in the remake tho. With all the technology developed for FF XV they're going to want to put it to use. I can't imagine Nomura is going to want to go backwards (in his mind atleast)

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    your party gets sucked into you eveytime you stop talking to people.... I don't think cloud being 10 stories tall on the worldmap is that big of an issue. If I want realism I'll go play DayZ where I actually have to eat drink and stuff.
    Same goes with this, with all the work they've put into getting the party system to work in XV animations, A.I etc.... are they really going to have the party disappear? I mean the whole lot won't be on the map at once but I have to imagine the 3 you currently have equipped will all be on screen running around same as XV. To have just Cloud would seem very backwards after XV.

I'm not saying this is how it 'should' be. But it seems the most logical direction to take the remake from a development stand point.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'm sure we can all worry about this in 2026 when it will actually be released, in time for the 30th Anniversary. Possibly a launch title for the PlayStation 6.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I'm sure we can all worry about this in 2026 when it will actually be released, in time for the 30th Anniversary. Possibly a launch title for the PlayStation 6.
    In this trailer it says play it first on PS4

Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    In this trailer it says play it first on PS4

The first few Versus trailers ended with 'coming exclusively to PS3' :P so you can never trust SE haha

I definitly think we're going to get a much quicker turnaround then XV tho. The engine is already done which is a big part of development. Unless it changes engines like XV or KH 3 :S

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I think most of the characters are at a healthy weight considering their general build.

they need to do it with three discs again, possibly four, and have the world map roughly the size of gta

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

no more multi-discs

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

but the 'insert disc 2' screen should pop up haha
    this game cannot take itself seriously if they want to go thru with it and not bomb
    so a 're-imagining' is kind of worrying
    i mean gold saucer?
    ghosts in the mansion?
    who is gonna cpr
    ride that dolphin
    oh god
    scale is a miniscule problem compared to the preservation of hojo sunbathin in his labcoat